Skip to main content
Topic: Window replacement (Read 21693 times) previous topic - next topic

Window replacement

Reply #15
Quote from: EricCoolCats;124820
I've had both, Chuck...but it could have been that someone replaced the window before I bought the car ('86 GS, '86 LS) and drilled out the rivets. Either way it's still a more stable system and relatively easier to remove and replace.

ill agree with that part of being stable.  I never noticed this on either of my 84's i had.  I did a window on my 84 v8 back in 89 and i dont remember encountering bolts or rivits.  ive only done three of these windows and two have been on the 87 model so i stand corrected on that for the misleading info

Window replacement

Reply #16
Oh, no problemo Scott...it was nothing against you or anything. I just saw that he had an '85 and thought that showing the actual pieces of glass out of the car would be a good visual aide. ;) When they're in the car, with the regulator assembly in the way, and all the metal from the door, it's really difficult to get a good idea what the actual glass looks like. I just so happened to have a pair of both sets of glass loose.

I think a lot of the reason why the 1987-88 glass was so different was because of cost savings. I'm sure it cost Ford a lot more money to cut the glass in the 1983-86 style. With the flush glass redesign in '87, it seems logical that they cut a few corners. That's painfully obvious with those plastic clips. And it also kind of sucks that you can't retrofit the older glass, or even make the newer glass like the older glass. But that's Ford for ya LOL.

Window replacement

Reply #17
I used an epoxy stick that is made for marine use.Even dries under water.Mine has held for a very long time,and it's wicked durable.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Window replacement

Reply #18
no bolts equals less fasteners
less fasteners equals quicker production time

GLUE>>>>>>>>>>> Its on the move,,,
modern marvels:D

Window replacement

Reply #19
Well I found a Cougar with the glass I need (with the rivets) and it was a b---- getting out. How do I get the rivets out (I have no drill). I was able to get the new glass out by taking the window motor off so I could get the glass wiggled out. That could prove to be a pain on the install. HELP PLEASE!!!

Window replacement

Reply #20
When installing,have the window track raised about half way.Also,remove the inside dew wipe and the window fuzzy on the top middle of the door to give plenty of room to pull the window out..You don't have to touch the motor on the running car.If you need to remove the rivets,and you don't have a drill,borrow one,or take the window to a glass shop and let them do it.You risk breaking the window by not using the right tool for the right job.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Window replacement

Reply #21
AHA!!!!

I was able to replace the window without removing the bracket at all. It took a long time removing it out of the donor car (until I figured it out) but was maybe a 20 minute job getting it back in.

Window replacement

Reply #22
Now you got the know how!,sometimes you got to do it to understand it.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Window replacement

Reply #23
I pulled mine out of the project car yesterday and fixed it.It was out of the clips.No big deal.i used my epoxy stick made for marine use.It holds tight,dies in two minutes,and it's waterproof,and on my daily driver,it has lasted for a few years.

Window replacement

Reply #24
I wish it would have been that easy to fix. I have the bracket with the rivets holding the window in.

Window replacement

Reply #25
Quote from: btwodu;130378
How do I get the rivets out (I have no drill).

I had to replace a window on my truck, it had the rivets like you describe, and my drill was at my other farm, didn't have time to get it, so i took a small phillips screwdriver, and a hammer, and gave the inner round part of the rivet a few sharp raps until the thing pushed through, then just take a little pry tool (i used my pocket knife..lol) and pry the little cap dealie off, and you're ready to go...
bolts are so much easier, able rivets :flame:
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Window replacement

Reply #26
on the 87 -88 thunderbirds any idea where i can get replacement clips for the glass, local advance and napa doesnt have them.
88 thunderbird, 306 ,E7 heads ported by me, explorer intake, 70mm professional products TB, 8.8 3.73 rear is finally in. 11" front brake upgrade. still need some stuff
some nice weather to work on stuff would be nice ^^^

Window replacement

Reply #27
We always found the 83-86 cars with rivets in the salvage yards.  Used an 1/8" punch and a small hammer to remove the "stem" of the rivet, cordless drill, and the window was out in about 15-20 minutes.  I always reinstalled them with the rivets.  I can see where the bolts would be easier but I have a Mac Tools hydraulic hand riveter so the larger rivets were not a big deal to reinstall.  I never had to remove the wipes as I just popped the large metal/plastic washers off the bottom of the window while it was still in the door.

I would suggest removing the felt in the door frame that the window rolls up into and give that a cleaning.  Sometimes small fragments of glass get in there when a window is broken out and it will cut some tint up in a hurry.

Everyone does it a bit different but at least it gets done.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp