Skip to main content
Topic: My 87 LX (Read 79250 times) previous topic - next topic

My 87 LX

Reply #345
A very small update. I did some work to the fuel cell. Growing the gumption to cut a hole in the trunk floor still.. Ive got to round up come steel to brace it in so it will sit level with the rest of the floor in the trunk. Baby steps.

My 87 LX

Reply #346
Baby steps is right. I just work one piece at a time. Heck, I remember back when you convinced me to do the 5 speed swap. LOL. Time flies.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

My 87 LX

Reply #347
Time sure does fly. I remember telling you to do it do it do it lol.

With the house now things have slowed considerably, But my work lets me get away with bringing in " government work" and going to town on random pieces. like tig'n some aluminum angle on a fuel cell lol

My 87 LX

Reply #348
So, I did a thing.

My brother bought a 95gt parts car while he was down in South Carolina with the intent of turning it into a race car and I made the joke if you ever decide to get rid of it I want everything that makes it roll. This was almost a year ago, and he texts me last month saying hes buying a 04 mustang thats a better start for him and that I needed to make a list of what I needed.

SCORE! Make it even better, it all came to me at half the cost of renting a Uhaul trailer

I got even luckier, Pulled the pan off last night to check the gear ratio and it has 4.10's

And on a side note, one of these days I'll make a new thread on this project with my pictures since photobucket decided that they needed to make money off their 10+ year free service

Thats all for now, Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

My 87 LX

Reply #349

I got 3/4 corners done. I ran out of time, hit a few minor snags but all in all a good day. You can see my subframe connectors doing their jobs very well and my kmember in a few pics. Mind you this car hasnt been on the street for almost 7 years but its getting closer.

I have to still buy new rear calipers, but they'll work for now. (one of the boots is torn) and the pads and rotors need replaced as well the fronts still have a lot of life left in them but as things go on this project, its all going to be new.

My 87 LX

Reply #350
Looking good there Clayton

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

My 87 LX

Reply #351
Thanks John its definitely been a slow going build. Like Johnny Cash said, one piece at a time. All four corners are 5-lug now I just have to move my line lock and redo a couple brake lines then bleed the brakes then I should be good to go.

and all I got to say is...

My 87 LX

Reply #352
So i only tried those py flaring tools once, then I bought this: http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-on-car-flaring-tool-for-3-16-tubing.html

And its glorious. $40, compact. Good results. Easier to use. BUT it ONLY handles 3/16in line. which is what most cars use anyways.
1986 Ford Thunderchicken, 5.0 AOD w/ Shift kit,  354,XXX miles. 1-Family owned. Original engine+trans.
8.8 Disc Rear w/ 3.73 Posi. CHE Control Arms. '04 Cobra brakes all around. 2000 Cobra R wheels. Tubular front LCA's. MM Steering Shaft. Unlocked Speedo, Lowering springs, Eibach sway bars front and rear. Ram air intake.

My 87 LX

Reply #353
wow man.  cant believe you still have this thing.  keep at it.  my 84 has been on jackstands for a year now.  spring is going to be fun with the 6.0L

My 87 LX

Reply #354
Yeah I still got her. Shes been in the garage since 2011 slowly but surely things keep getting in the way of progress but I keep chipping away at it.

Re: My 87 LX

Reply #355
Small update! I traded my 95 gt spindles off for some 03 cobra spindles.

I'm still alive! Its still very ugly and has been sitting for a couple more years. A lot has happened in the past 5 years that has kept me away from working on the old girl. But this year is going to be different. I'm hunting for another to swap all my goodies into. I need a redo and to start from scratch.

Reply #356
Slowly changing stuff out I bought years ago that was wrong. When I bought my bbk c/c plates I thought they fit like  but made them work.. Well lesson learned there. I ordered the MM ones and viola. Next is the steering shaft then bumpsteer kit. It's taken me 7 years to finally make some real headway

Reply #357
And so it begins.