Skip to main content
Topic: Chrysler ---- Dead? Or just on unpaid vacation? (Read 4079 times) previous topic - next topic

Chrysler ---- Dead? Or just on unpaid vacation?

Reply #1
thats nice, lay off everyone right before christmas, call me cynical but that looks like a political stunt to get some attention from congress.  i feel bad for the people but not at all for the company, if Daimler couldn't turn them around nobody can.  R.I.P. Get a chearger while you can. Made only one year. get all the options and put it in a garage.

Reply #2
AFAIK car companies always had a holiday shutdown, however this is supposed to be an extended one.  I do believe this is a ploy to get the governments attention/aid.  Ford is also extending their shutdown period.  The government won't do much until January 20 when the new session of congress commences.  The govermnet may provide some "keep you going til the 20th  deal". 

Chrysler has been dead to me for years.

Reply #3
What  me off is the corrupt gov't we elected (so yes it is our fault) will spend 700 billion to bailout the banks that everyone owes money to but won't lift a finger to to help the companies thatallow a lot of those in debt to pay it.

How many of those bankers showed up in DC in private jets?

Reply #4
I read somewhere that one expert (I believe he was CEO of Fiat or some other European car company) said that every manufacturer on Earth would have to cease production for nearly a year to get rid of the excess inventory that's piled up right now. No point in building 'em if people aren't buying 'em. As for the timing (just before Christmas): I'd rather get laid off now than work for two weeks and have my cheque bounce...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #5
Dodge is getting shut down for a month. The people are still getting paid. Supposedly paying people only makes up for 10% or the cost so it doesn't bother them to pay people that aren't working.

Ford is shutting down for 2 weeks. They normally shut down for one week.

The unions make it so there paid regardless if there's work or not.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #6
when i used to deliver parts to the factories in detroit, they took two 2 week vacations (paid holidays through union agreement i think)... one was over the christmas holiday when they clean the factories from head to toe and the other was around june when they did the model year chang over.....  the media is making this sound much worse than it is... to extend it isn't the end of the world.....  if you ask me, the big 3 and the uaw could use a good bankruptcy :)... but that's a whole other can of worms :evilgrin:

OOOH!!!  I'm a Eco Hypermiler :burnout: Not bad for 79mph on the interstate 2hours a day

Reply #7
Chrysler has been dead to me since the Germans bought them, on the shut down, one of my friends father has worked for Jeep for years. Since all this  with the auto industry they have been working him a week laying him off for a week which is dirty in my opinion.

Reply #8
Quote from: Haystack
The people are still getting paid.

[SIZE="4"]NEGATIVE[/SIZE][/B]

http://thinkprogress.org/2008/12/17/chrysler-shutting-plants/

Chrysler announced today that it would shut all 30 of its North American plants for a month, starting this Friday. ABC News reports that while 46,000 union workers will be shut off from their regular paychecks, the “white collar” management will continue to receive their salaries:

These [UAW} workers will not be receiving their regular income. There will be an unknown number of white collar workers who will not be working as well, but the expectation is that they will continue to receive their regular salaries during this time.

Chrysler said that union workers will receive “state unemployment benefits as well as supplementary payments from Chrysler” based off “a union negotiated formula.” (HT: Marcy Wheeler)
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #9
Quote from: V8Demon;248078
[SIZE="4"]NEGATIVE[/SIZE][/B]

http://thinkprogress.org/2008/12/17/chrysler-shutting-plants/

see, this is exactly what I mean about people making important comments based on a partial view of the full story.
You have your facts,,,,

This is a prime example of people being worked to death so hard they dont have time to stay informed.  This is exactly how Barry is going to be our new president, people did not have time to gather facts.
Im not busting on you haystack, it was just perfect timing.

"I dont want you to waste your question"<<<  now i wonder who said that,,

Reply #10
Quote from: *MAYHEM*;248030
What  me off is the corrupt gov't we elected (so yes it is our fault) will spend 700 billion to bailout the banks that everyone owes money to but won't lift a finger to to help the companies thatallow a lot of those in debt to pay it.

How many of those bankers showed up in DC in private jets?

the government's been corrupt since 1913 at least. they control the media, the electoral college, and anything else that would make a difference if our votes counted. ain't our fault for anything except being ignorant as a whole and not rebelling sooner.
:cougarsmily:5.0 HO, E303 cam, Exploder/Cobra intake, smog pump delete, Ford Taurus electric fan, MAF conversion, BBK headers, MAC 2.5" off-road exhaust w/x-pipe, AOD w/shift kit, 8.8 Trac-Loc rear w/disc brakes, 5-lug conversion w/'98 Mustang GT 17" wheels, Mach 1 springs:cougarsmily:

Reply #11
HA! told ya so. Bushy announced some loans to the automakers. What a joke this country is becoming.