Skip to main content
Topic: They're (finally) coming: Ford to retool US plants to build Euro-spec vehicles (Read 7922 times) previous topic - next topic

They're (finally) coming: Ford to retool US plants to build Euro-spec vehicles

Reply #15
Quote from: oldraven;228520
I see Ford stock rising as we speak. :)

Buy it now at $5 and change!!!!!
1988 Cougar LS 5.0 (currently parting out):cougarsmily:
1989 Mustang LX Notch 2.3 (Project):ford:

Reply #16
Quote from: oldraven;228604
I think our Vue is one of the very last models with plastic panels. Was there another, besides the '04 update? I'm not all that upset about the change. I always liked Opels much more than I did Saturns. Some times a half inch panel gap is just too much panel gap.

Personally, I like the plastic torpedoes because they don't rust (in visible locations, anyway - I've already patched my front subframe and floor). That's pretty important in the $500 car market :mullet:

I think the Ion, discontinued in '08 and replaced by the Astra, was the last plastic Saturn-badged car.

Oh, you're implying that you're not supposed to be able to get your thumb in between your trunk opening and quarter panel? See below: :hick:
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #17
As of this morning it looks like Ford has confirmed the Fiesta, European-spec Focus, Transit van, and possibly the Mondeo...

http://jalopnik.com/399169/breaking-ford-reports-87-billion-net-loss-for-second-quarter-2008-bringing-six-european-small-vehicles-stateside

Plus we knew this was coming:
Next-generation Ford Explorer - with unibody construction, EcoBoost, six-speed, weight savings and improved aerodynamics for up to 25 percent better fuel economy - in 2010

Long as it can tow 5000 lbs. it will still sell. And make a great daily driver/beater for me in 2020. :D

Reply #18
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;228699
Personally, I like the plastic torpedoes because they don't rust (in visible locations, anyway - I've already patched my front subframe and floor). That's pretty important in the $500 car market :mullet:

I think the Ion, discontinued in '08 and replaced by the Astra, was the last plastic Saturn-badged car.

Oh, you're implying that you're not supposed to be able to get your thumb in between your trunk opening and quarter panel? See below: :hick:

That's what I'm talking about. :D You should see the gap between our hood and front fender. It's amazing. Grand Canyon kind of stuff.

Reply #19
You know the euro focus is kinda growing on me i would certainly rock an ST hell i would sell the 99 for an ST.

Reply #20
why does anyone car about saturn? arent they GM any way?....the new focus st looks so much better then the american spec cars

Reply #21
Quote from: Vbelisle;229699
why does anyone car about saturn? arent they GM any way?....the new focus st looks so much better then the american spec cars

I care about Saturn because A) I own one for a daily driver (can't beat 40+ MPG in air conditioned comfort) and B) I was a Saturn tech for six years. Four of the six T-Bird/Cougars I've owned were paid for with Saturn money.

You should care about them because they look to be Mercury's new direct competition.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #22
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;229725
I care about Saturn because A) I own one for a daily driver (can't beat 40+ MPG in air conditioned comfort) and B) I was a Saturn tech for six years. Four of the six T-Bird/Cougars I've owned were paid for with Saturn money.

You should care about them because they look to be Mercury's new direct competition.

thanks thats a pretty good answer i was just a little bit confused

Reply #23
Quote from: Vbelisle;229699

I also own one, and like it. The Vue is a great car, even if it has a ticking time-bomb for a transmission.

I mostly care, though, because Saturn manufactures their cars here. Jobs in your country should be something a guy supports. :)

Reply #24
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;228533
...Hopefully Mercury can do it better. I say this with mixed feelings, because as much as I'd like to see Mercury (and Ford) succeed, I still think Ford will screw this up. They'll end up bringing us "almost" Euro-cars. They'll look European but Ford will dumb them down for North America.

I happen to think that Ford may be looking at past failures to plan for the future, so what you're insinuating may certainly happen.
Remember the success (or lack thereof) of the Festiva? It was lightweight and zippy with its Mazda-sourced mill, and it also returned phenomenal fuel mileage.
It didn't sell too well, so it was eventually replaced with the Aspire, a chunky replacement that also returned excellent fuel mileage. It, too, didn't place any sales records.
Diesel models never took off due to suspect reliability in certain domestic cars, especially the rear-drive GMs in the mid-'80s, so Ford was left with what would sell - big American cars for big American people.
We must ask ourselves how long it will take to reverse this trend.

Here's my other thought:
You suggested that Ford would "dumb them down for North America."
Well, I think that will certainly happen to some degree. Most of the cars in Europe not only have efficient engines with smaller overall dimensions, but most have manual transmissions, which usually return better fuel mileage over slushboxes.
How likely is it that Americans will gracefully accept such a drastic change? It's a far cry from a V8-powered SUV with an automatic transmission. How many cupholders will it have?

It's sad to think that an American family will include cupholders and other unnecessary amenities into their buying decision, but I'm sure it's happened more than once. After all, they need more interior space for the McDonald's toys and their ever-expanding waistlines.

I've been an enthusiast of the Fox cars since the late '90s, but I'm fully prepared to shift gears (so to speak) and get into a fuel miser. Hell, I haven't driven the Coug' in over a week; I've been walking everywhere.
The question is: What will it take for Joe Consumer to relinquish the keys to his Denali? Will we have to pry them from his cold, dead hand?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #25
Quote from: cougarcragar;229870
I happen to think that Ford may be looking at past failures to plan for the future, so what you're insinuating may certainly happen.
Remember the success (or lack thereof) of the Festiva? It was lightweight and zippy with its Mazda-sourced mill, and it also returned phenomenal fuel mileage.
It didn't sell too well, so it was eventually replaced with the Aspire, a chunky replacement that also returned excellent fuel mileage. It, too, didn't place any sales records.
Diesel models never took off due to suspect reliability in certain domestic cars, especially the rear-drive GMs in the mid-'80s, so Ford was left with what would sell - big American cars for big American people.
We must ask ourselves how long it will take to reverse this trend.

Here's my other thought:
You suggested that Ford would "dumb them down for North America."
Well, I think that will certainly happen to some degree. Most of the cars in Europe not only have efficient engines with smaller overall dimensions, but most have manual transmissions, which usually return better fuel mileage over slushboxes.
How likely is it that Americans will gracefully accept such a drastic change? It's a far cry from a V8-powered SUV with an automatic transmission. How many cupholders will it have?

It's sad to think that an American family will include cupholders and other unnecessary amenities into their buying decision, but I'm sure it's happened more than once. After all, they need more interior space for the McDonald's toys and their ever-expanding waistlines.

I've been an enthusiast of the Fox cars since the late '90s, but I'm fully prepared to shift gears (so to speak) and get into a fuel miser. Hell, I haven't driven the Coug' in over a week; I've been walking everywhere.
The question is: What will it take for Joe Consumer to relinquish the keys to his Denali? Will we have to pry them from his cold, dead hand?

True enough, but the Festiva and Aspire were marketed during a time when most people didn't give a rat's ringpiece about fuel economy. Gas was a buck a gallon (the last time I was in Maine, circa 1998, gas was about $1.20) and big was in. Fiestas and Festivas (and Fireflies, Sprints, and Colts) existed only to boost CAFE numbers. Times have changed drastically, and consumer taste has changed within the past month. Truck & SUV sales are off by huge numbers over last year (which was not a particularly good year either). Car lots can't give 'em away (a local Dodge dealer is marketing a brand new 2008 Dodge Ram Club Cab 1500 4X4 Hemi with A/C, auto, power windowss/locks/cruise/etc for $23k, which is dirt cheap by Canadian standards - the truck carries an MSRP of over $42k!). It's even worse if you want to trade one in. People simply do not want them.

Diesel never caught on here largely thanks to the infamous Olds diesel, but it was also largely due to low gas prices. The fact that Europe has traditionally paid much, much more for fuel than we do in North America helped diesel's popularity over there. The fact that diesel fuel is subsidized (lower taxes), as are diesel vehicles (tax rebates), certainly helped as well. Combine that with lower emissions standards and it almost looks like North America is purposely trying to keep diesel from taking off.

I'd like to think that 35MPG CAFE standards will convince automakers to at least offer shift-it-yourself trannies. They'll be looking for every single MPG they can muster. I'm kinda thinking DSG transmissions will take off in popularity, though. No torque-converter losses, much less parasitic losses.

I can relate to "shifting gears", too. Last year I was driving a Lincoln Town car for a daily driver. The year before that it was the infamous Volvo. This year it's the Saturn. And the funny thing is, since the Saturn has a stick (:burnout:), it's more fun than the Volvo or Lincoln could ever hope to be. Not nearly as refined, but for 40+ MPG I can forgive that. One thing is certain: I will never have an automatic-equipped daily driver again. One other thing is certain: Eventually the T-Bird will be getting that magic third pedal, too.

Oh, and I haven't driven the T-Bird since October 2005, so I know how you feel that way. I was hoping to get it on the road this summer, but it's looking increasingly unlikely as project after project piles up...

Reply #26
Also...the Festiva, Aspire, Sprint, etc. were not exactly the kinds of car that you wanted to be in when a semi or (then-new) SUV was coming right for you. The majority of those cars were not designed with the newer "safety cage" style of construction, and airbags weren't required in the U.S. until 1994. The ultra small cars of today (Beetle, Yaris, Fit, Smart ForTwo) were all designed from the ground-up to be extraordinarily safe as well as fuel efficient. They'll hold up much better against the behemoths on the road now.

Styling-wise, the older cars were...ick. Even back in the day, you knew they were fugly, and the only reason you saw them on the road was because someone was being "thrifty". Not that a lot of the new econoboxes are better looking, but they don't look nearly as dated from the dealership as the last generation cars did.

Zach, you brought up a good point about "ever-expanding waistlines". Larger people are going to still have a difficult time getting into and out of small cars. That's probably part of the reason why SUV's and trucks got popular. They're much easier on entry and egress...hell, that's why I bought mine! LOL Still, as much as I love my cars, I wouldn't trade my SUV in on one unless I knew that it would be comfortable in all aspects. There is a certain comfort level now, to which the general public has grown accustomed, and sacrificing that comfort level even slightly for the sake of fuel economy is going to be a very tough sell. And that includes shifting for yourself, which is something I would not like to do. Let's face it: it's much easier to buy a larger vehicle than to lose weight. I'm living proof of that...unfortunately.

I think smaller cars will continue to sell well as long as gas remains high in cost. Realistically there is no compelling reason why fuel prices will come down significantly in the next few years. The world's population keeps increasing so consumption will continue to rise; developing countries (India, China) are using a lot more fuel out of the available collective pool; oil refinery capacity is still at its maximum, with no new refineries still planned for the U.S.; and the upcoming change in regime at the White House will surely leave consumers a little wary for awhile, no matter who wins. Gas prices have increased every summer for the past 3 years. Why would that change for next summer, you know? It's going to be over $5/gallon in the U.S., you can bank on that. Personally that won't affect me too much, but for the infrastructure of North America it's going to be devastating.

Still...gas dropped 40¢/gallon in the last week here in Ohio. Demand is less, or so is being claimed. That's good news for people already stretched to the max. But it's only temporary, until next summer or Labor Day or the next hurricane or whatever OPEC decides is needed to line their pockets a little more.

If I could ride a bicycle to work, I would. It's just not feasible, and actually quite dangerous with the route I need to take. In fact...I just sold my bike LOL. I'm still content with my once-a-month fill-up in my (alleged) gas-guzzling SUV. Until that changes--and with any luck, it won't change for many years--then I just have to pay whatever the going rate is. But I'm very lucky...most people aren't as fortunate...

What a frickin' mess...

Reply #27
One reason the sub-compacts didn't take off the first time around is the type of person who did buy them. They were cheap, and so they were the only car the poorest shoppers could afford. There was no such thing as a premium compact back then. If you wanted small and efficient, you got the shiznittiest car on the lot. So anyone who could afford more bought more, just so they didn't look like they were broke. I know this because I come from an area with a very humble per capita income. Sprints and Festivas abound down here, and were usually driven into the ground.

I don't think this will be the case with the premium compacts and sub-compacts we're seeing lately. The jobless logger won't be able to afford a Mini Clubman or an Astra. He'll drive a used car (because there's no such thing as a dirt cheap car anymore in North America) that he bought for next to nothing. The way the market is right now, that'll be a large car or SUV. So gas will kill him, whilst the rich are grinning smugly in their high luxury fuel miser. The sub-compact is here to stay, now that they have a consumer with some cash to throw at leather and 20" wheels.

Reply #28
The jobless logger won't be able to afford a Mini Clubman or an Astra. He'll drive a used car (because there's no such thing as a dirt cheap car anymore in North America) that he bought for next to nothing. The way the market is right now, that'll be a large car or SUV.

Case in point:

I passed a 1996 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer on the side of the road yesterday.  Forest Green with the obligatory tan rocker panels and targa top, 351, 4wd 50K on the clock.  The thing is absolutey impeccable inside and out.

$2600 and from what I understand, it's been sitting for about a month at that price. 

I'm pretty confident if I walked in the garage where it is with $2,000 cash; they'd take it....
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!