Skip to main content
Topic: Chuck's '83 TBird (Read 70621 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Chuck's '83 TBird

Reply #210
I used and air jig saw but ended up having to file the edges as well.  Your solution is simple and one of those " why didn't I think of that".  Sad thing is there is a drill press less than 10' from where my car spends 95% of its time.

I also like that fuse holder solution.  The relays for my headlights and Mark VIII fan are separate and I too have a couple of fuse holders attached at the starter relay so this would clean that "junky" look up.

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #211
That fuse box should really clean up that jumble of wires by the driver side shock tower. Nice.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #212
Dropped parts off for stripping/blasting yesterday.

(The white brace isn't for the TBird ;) )
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #213
Ordered my MAXI fuse holder kit today.

Reply #214
I may have missed this but what differential are you planning on using? You planning on keeping the Traction-Lok or going with something like a True-Track?
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #215
I may have missed this but what differential are you planning on using? You planning on keeping the Traction-Lok or going with something like a True-Track?
Just going to rebuild the Traction-Loc unit. Gotta start getting together a list of needed parts to redo the rear, but not planning anything fancy.

Reply #216
Made a couple brackets and located the relay boxes.

I need to buy a new tool to do the final crimps for the MAXI fuse terminals, but at this point I'm ready to start cutting down wires and installing connectors, etc.

Still debating on the fog/driving light wiring. If I can find appropriate stuff under the dash for it (which I doubt), I'll use the feed out of (factory) fuse #7 to trigger my driving light relay (it's "hot" when the Lo beams are on). If not, I'll figure out something else.
It's a 2.3 turbo car thing, which this car was NOT from the factory.

Reply #217
Been sneaking in time to work on more wiring (and other non-TBird projects), so I haven't had too much new to show.

I was able to pick up the first of the powdercoated parts today, though.

The housing was pretty pitted, but I'm not too concerned about it being a show car.

They got the black done, but were still waiting on the other powder for the rest of the stuff to show up.
I might be able to get that stuff next week.

Guess I better get back under the car and finish up the prep work there, so I can get that RUCA mount welded in place.

Reply #218
So, still running around in circles trying to get a bunch of other things done and still make forward progress on this thing.

The electric fan power/controls was part of the accessory wiring rework, and the last bit on that was to redo the control wiring that comes out from the MegaSquirt ECU. When I originally built it, I'd forgotten to add a diode in the circuit, and in the end just added it out at the relay. That was OK then, but it's not OK now. I'm going to add it inside the ECU case.

I haven't cracked the case on this unit since I got the car running on it 10-12 years ago.

Keep in mind, this was my first ever major electronics project at the time. If I redo the drivetrain in this car...all of this old MS install will be redone/updated.
It took a second looking at that mess on the protoboard to sort out which was the fan control circuit (There is PWM idle control, TFI circuitry, flyback board stuff for Lo-Z injectors all mixed in there), but I got that sorted out.

Seeing as I never added a WBO2 to the car when I built this, that is on the list for mods this time around as well.

Also, I picked up the rest of my powdercoat today.

Here is a teaser of the new color for the rear susp stuff.

;)

Reply #219
Is the green you're using for the rear suspension components the same green color you painted the engine?

Reply #220
The engine is Ford Grey, actually.

Reply #221
So, things have been busy as hell the past couple of months. Been able to get some parts ordered and things organized, but that's about it, other than a couple minor things.

I finally got some time the past couple of days to make some significant headway though.

Picked up the stuff to rebuild the diff and the rear axle.
Got the diff torn down and replaced the bearings, and repacked everything.

I went with the "alternative" stack on the diff clutches.
Just need to put the ring gear back on and handle the pinion bearing, then I can put the rear back together.

I also finally got this guy in place.

After I add a couple smaller gussets, I'll be able to touch up the paint and start getting the links installed and start to put things together.

I also had a helper while I was wrestling around under the car

Reply #222
Nice. Glad to see you're still making progress.

I'm a bit surprised you didn't go with the 4700-C kit with the carbon fiber clutches. I've got those in the differential in my car and they grab noticeable better than the regular clutches. But the bigger F-150/GT500 "S-spring" might account for some of that.

Reply #223
Second the F150 spring. Made a noticeable difference when I had it installed in the Coupe.

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #224
Looking at the alternative stacking arrangement, things I read said to stay away from the F-150 spring. I'm at a pretty tall stack at the moment (at the upper limit).

I may need to fine-tune or switch things up in the future, depending on the dynamics of this rear susp set-up.