Skip to main content
Topic: 3.8 to 5.0 so swap (Read 3115 times) previous topic - next topic

3.8 to 5.0 so swap

Ok have a 87 T-bird, an 88 tubro coupe, and I'll be picking up a 87 cougar. The 87 T-bird will be the finished car. swapped the axle,sway bars, front breakes,console, steering wheel hood,and nose off the tubro coupe already. want to take the 5.0 so from the cougar and put it in the t-bird. where can I find the pinouts for the wire harnesses for the 2 cars? trying to make my 16 year old son happy with this car. so the compramise will be if he wants a V-8 it has to be this S.O. the H.O. will come later.

Re: 3.8 to 5.0 so swap

Reply #1
Being as both cars are 87, just take the engine harness from the Cougar. They will plug in. :D
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #2
yeah. The t-birds and cougars are the same doors forwards.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #3
5.0l so will be slower than the turbo4.
Get an HO then do the swap,not worth it otherwise.

Reply #4
And I think the point is so that his son dosent kill himself. If my first car was an H.O. I wouldnt be here. His son should have to swap it anyways.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #5
Quote from: dominator
5.0l so will be slower than the turbo4.
Get an HO then do the swap,not worth it otherwise.

You need to read that one again.... He is swapping the 5.0 into a '87 Bird, not the TC(its a parts car).

Assuming the Bird is now 3.8, I'm 99.99% sure you have to do some adapting to get the 5.0 wired up. Good news is the wire color is same, so you just need to move some pins in the plugs or make some adaptor harness from the unused harnesses.

Reply #6
yep the TC is a parts car. the SO is going in so he doesn't kill hisself till he gets the hang of the car. Later (in a few years) we will Pull it all apart and Twin turbo it. Depends on how well he takes care of the car and his licence for insurance reasons. he just has his permit for now. hope this swap isn't too hard. I can wire up a fuel injection system.         
I posted these pics on the old site. Yep the rollerskate with a V-8. here is his bird.

Reply #7
I'm pretty sure with both being 87s, that the engine harness will unplug by the master cylinder, and down by the starter solenoid. Then the V8 harness will just plug in the same spots.  ;)
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #8
*See's Fiero!*
*See's V8 in it!*
*Pees pants in happiness!*
*Whines like a little puppy!*

That Fiero brings a smile to my face!
Temporarily Foxless? Ride the Bull...

Reply #9
I like the Fiero. Is that a 4.9 from a Caddy?

My buddies had a 355 you want to talk about wetting yourself.

Reply #10
I'm pretty sure with both being 87s...... the V8 harness will just plug in the same spots.
Oooo... so close. Only a year off.
http://www.coolcats.net/tech/advanced/ho_swap.html

For 1986-88 factory 5.0's, you're all set. The 1988 3.8 V6 cars are already set up for the new motor. If you have a 1983-85 5.0 V8 or 1983-87 3.8 V6, your engine bay is completely opposite of what's needed.

Somewhere around here is a post (or several) saying that up to 87, the V6 & V8's used different body harnesses, but in 88 they shared the same one. An 87 V6 harness won't have the 8 injector wires to the computer that the V8 will need.
Death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

1988 5.0 Bird, mostly stock, partly not, now gone to T-Bird heaven.
1990 Volvo 740GL. 114 tire-shredding horsies, baby!

Reply #11
If you change it from the computer plug out, it will work. ;)  Been there, done that. :D
95 Ranger Splash 2.3

Reply #12
about the fiero yes it is a 4.9 PFI caddy v-8 with the pfi system in place. It is also a 5-speed car,no air or powersteering. none of the fieros had power steering. also true duel exhaust. still need the pinouts for the wire harness for both cars then. would hate to have to replace the entire harness to get this going.

Reply #13
You'll absoutly have to swap the harness from the EEC to the engine compartment, and likely have to repin it to get it to connect at the grey and black plugs near the windshild wiper motor.

For wiring diagrams look on ebay(used book dealers sometimes have them as well) for a '87 Tbird/Coug EVTM, it will habe everything you need.

3.8 to 5.0 so swap

Reply #14
Unless im mistaken you will have to use the ECM from the cougar as well, best bet would be to just pull the cougars ECM and harness and install them in the t-bird.  Or you could do like i did and take the ECM the wiring harness and throw them in the nearest lake for distance and accuracy. Put a small carb on it if your worried about gas.  Very easy install as well.