Skip to main content
Topic: Shawns CatJam adventure. (Read 4171 times) previous topic - next topic

Shawns CatJam adventure.

Here I am, sitting in Breezewood, PA, waiting on a tow truck. My girlfriend has wireless signal in the McDonalds we're in, so while we wait, I decided to post what's going on while its going on.

Saturday night, Claude and I go for a run in the TC. We saw over 100mph a few times, high rpms, 19psi of boost, and destroyed an RX7 in the process. The car ran rather well, but it was a bit lean. We get back to the Red Roof, and all was well. We hang out, I drive back to the hotel I was at, which was 20 minutes away, and had not a single problem.

Fast forward to today. I was driving to the Red Roof, and the car was making an odd ticking noise, and I dismissed it as an exhaust leak since my header cracked. I get off of the highway, and the thing was acting like I blew a headgasket between cylinder 2 and 3. It ran like ass, but still would move under its own power.

1WLD BRD, his wife, my girlfriend and I ride out in his cougar to Summit Racing, and they had to special order a headgasket for the 2.3L, so I decided, the hell with it, I'll limp it home.

I leave the hotel, and the car wouldnt accellerate very well, but it would sustain speed once you got up to speed. We get about 170 miles into the trip, and the engine drops all power, and was trying to lock up. I dropped to 3rd gear, WOT, just to sustain 40mph. I was trying to make it to an exit or something, and then out of no where, it free'd up, and started to accellerate once again. After that, the power would come and go, and it would seriously knock anytime the RPM's got about about 3500. I make it to the 70/76/30 junction, and it could barely get into a parking spot. The car died about 4 times trying to back it in to a spot.

Luckily for me, a good friend of my has a tow truck, he is on his way right now.

I don't car what anyone says, I've abused the engine, the previous owner literally tried to beat on it to blow up, and at this point, I'm pretty sure I popped a piston or a bearing spun, yet the little thing got me about 220 miles, motored up these mountains, and it will most likely start back up again and keep going.

I'll keep everyone posted on how this turns out. Since my buddy has the tow trucks, I'll only have to pay fuel, which is far cheaper than a real tow company.

Thanks to everyone who was calling me and seeing my progress, and offering my help. I really do appreciate it.
It's Gumby's fault.

Shawns CatJam adventure.

Reply #1
Oh shiznit man that sucks..  Sorry I had to run out on everyone.  I would have stayed and helped you tear it down, but the g/f got word that a friend of hers was in the hospital so we high tailed it back to Lancaster.
One 88

Shawns CatJam adventure.

Reply #2
hey shawn, sorry to hear it didnt make it all the way back. glad your buddie is comin with the truck!
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

Shawns CatJam adventure.

Reply #3
shiznit, I just called him...  Man that sucks that it let go on you, ....  talk to you on aim some time bro.

Shawns CatJam adventure.

Reply #4
 Shawn, that sounds exactly like what our '84 did to us on our way home from CJ in 2003. Yeah, needless to say it's sitting in the junk yard now. :(

I hope you get ours running again with no problem.
:cougarsmily:~Karen~

Shawns CatJam adventure.

Reply #5
Well, to update the story, I got home at about 12 last night. The motor is most likely a total waste. A have a friend who has a complete 2.3T he's going to give me, which is a godsend right now.

It'll probably be up and running this weekend.
It's Gumby's fault.

Shawns CatJam adventure.

Reply #6
well i'm just glad you made it home man!

Shawns CatJam adventure.

Reply #7
glad you made it home bro....  but you know, with a 5.0L you wouldnt have to special order the HG's right? ;)  LOL

Shawns CatJam adventure.

Reply #8
Quote from: 1WLD BRD;227324
but you know, with a 5.0L you wouldnt have to special order the HG's right? ;)  LOL

speakin of that, did you guys check the parts stores in town too? pep boys or advance should have had that in stock...
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

Shawns CatJam adventure.

Reply #9
No, we didn't. I just said to hell with it, because if I took it apart, found the gasket wasn't the problem, I still would have had to put it back together, new gasket and all, and then try to limp it back home.

I haven't done a compression test yet, but I figure it's a waste of time with how it tried to lock up on me.
It's Gumby's fault.

Shawns CatJam adventure.

Reply #10
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about the head gasket...  It's not like they didn't put that motor in everything from compacts to pickups for about 25 years...  Anyway, glad you made it home, but it sucks to hear you didn't do it under your own power.

Shawns CatJam adventure.

Reply #11
You sure it's not a follower or two that got spit out???
Happened to my buddies TC when he had it,but once it died it wouldn't restart.
Every time he cranked it it sounded like it was hydro locking.
We thought the same thing,(head gasket) but it was due to not being able to let exaust gases out.
Maybe you spit an intake valve follower??????
You said you where doing high rpm runs before it happened,so was my buddy,from what i hear it is common with the slider cam and can happen with the roller but not as likely.
I would pull the valve cover first,easy to do and may save you changing a good engine.

Shawns CatJam adventure.

Reply #12
Based on your description of the antics leading up to this, and the constant knock you report, I would put my money on a burnt piston.

That is exactly what mine did when it looked like this........

Bob Myers

Shawns CatJam adventure.

Reply #13
Quote from: dominator;227353
You sure it's not a follower or two that got spit out???
Happened to my buddies TC when he had it,but once it died it wouldn't restart.
Every time he cranked it it sounded like it was hydro locking.
We thought the same thing,(head gasket) but it was due to not being able to let exaust gases out.
Maybe you spit an intake valve follower??????
You said you where doing high rpm runs before it happened,so was my buddy,from what i hear it is common with the slider cam and can happen with the roller but not as likely.
I would pull the valve cover first,easy to do and may save you changing a good engine.

It was actually the day after the high RPM run, and at a light, it started running like ass. I did a compression test, and #3 and #4 both show only 20 or so PSI of compression, so I'm banking on a headgasket and/or piston issues. It will start up, but you can literally count how many times it fires at any given RPM.

Right now, the plan is to go and pick up a new headgasket and bolts, and a top end gasket kit, and pull the head. If the pistons and walls appear to be decent enough, and the gasket is indeed bad, I'm going to throw the gasket and bolts in, and buy myself some time to get the engine my buddy has refreshed.
It's Gumby's fault.

Shawns CatJam adventure.

Reply #14

Theres the damage. The pistons looked great, other than a few hints of detonation, and the head still looks great, other than some hints of running lean.
It's Gumby's fault.