Skip to main content
Topic: Laptop not connecting to internet.... (Read 1982 times) previous topic - next topic

Laptop not connecting to internet....

Just updated to Firefox 3.6 yesterday without issue.......at least until Windows did an auto update @ 3AM (which I THOUGHT i had shut off :mad::mad::mad:).  Now she won't connect -- whether through FF OR IE.....
Wireless FIOS router shows as connected.  OS is Vista 64 bit.....

Just tried ctrl+alt+delete to get the task mngr, the screen went totally black and I got this message:

Log on process has failed to create the security options dialog.
X - Failure - Security Options.

Had to hold down the power button for a hard restart......Something tells me she's broken again....as in hardware.....AGAIN.

I'm in for a LOOOONNG day :mad:
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #1
That update knocked a few of my computers off the internet too. Verizon router and modem showed connected, but I just disconnected the power wires from the modem and router, replugged them, and in a couple minutes all the computers were back on the internet.
Save a horse, ride a Cougrrr!
1988 Mercury Cougar - 5.0HO, 3G, AOD w/shift kit, 4.10 gears in 8.8, Mass Air, CAI, Pypes X-pipe, Pypes 2 1/2" exhaust, Pypes Violator lers
1997 Ford Mustang GT - stock
2000 Ford Ranger 4X4 4.0 - stock
2001 Mercury Grand Marquis- stock
2008 Ford Escape 4X4 - stock

Reply #2
that is exactly the reason why i never update anything.
to me everything should work right out of the box.
did you try it again after you shut it off?
"Beating the hell out of other peoples cars since 1999"
1983 Ford Thunderbird Heritage
1984 Ford Mustang GT Turbo Convertible

Reply #3
Quote from: Ductape91;309829
that is exactly the reason why i never update anything.
to me everything should work right out of the box.
did you try it again after you shut it off?

Looking at the update log, it seems like it was a big Windows security update. You really should do those when they are available. Different security threats pop up after your PC is out of the box. Doing the security updates helps keep your PC safe. It's very possible that your PC did the update and you didn't even know it.
Save a horse, ride a Cougrrr!
1988 Mercury Cougar - 5.0HO, 3G, AOD w/shift kit, 4.10 gears in 8.8, Mass Air, CAI, Pypes X-pipe, Pypes 2 1/2" exhaust, Pypes Violator lers
1997 Ford Mustang GT - stock
2000 Ford Ranger 4X4 4.0 - stock
2001 Mercury Grand Marquis- stock
2008 Ford Escape 4X4 - stock

Reply #4
I figured it out.  Had to disable a setting program. 

Found this:
"There's a service, Superfetch, that tries to load up your idle RAM with stuff that you may soon use. This is stored in "Cached Memory," and is supposedly freed up if a running process needs it. I believe that perhaps something happened that corrupted the superfetch service which causes it to constantly cache things in memory, but never frees the memory when another process actually needs it.

If no other remedy has helped to relieve this problem, try this. Go to Start -> run, type "services.msc" and click OK. Locate the process named "Superfetch", right click, properties, and disable it. Now, reboot and see if your problem has gone away."

Problem solved.  I also increased the amount of virtual memory as it was less than the recommended amount.
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #5
Quote from: CougrrrFiveO;309832
Looking at the update log, it seems like it was a big Windows security update. You really should do those when they are available. Different security threats pop up after your PC is out of the box. Doing the security updates helps keep your PC safe. It's very possible that your PC did the update and you didn't even know it.

nothing autoupdates on this computer at all, and since i dont update anything nothing is updated(even security updates). i dont have anything that would need it on here either. i dont trust windowsupdate to begin with.
if you want ill post it to show you.
i never had an issue with anything reguarding the internet or security so im a little hesitant to when it works fine without them.
trust me, i know what im doing :P

i never heard of superfetch, and didnt find it on my computer.
is that something for windows vista/7 or something?
"Beating the hell out of other peoples cars since 1999"
1983 Ford Thunderbird Heritage
1984 Ford Mustang GT Turbo Convertible

Reply #6
Microsoft likes re-inventing the wheel every time they come out with an update.  It's asinine.

Reply #7
Fixed:

Quote from: V8Demon;309861
Micro$uck likes re-inventing the wheel every time they come out with an update.  It's asinine.

:D
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6