Skip to main content
Topic: Gateway Solo BIOS Password Reset... (Read 3413 times) previous topic - next topic

Gateway Solo BIOS Password Reset...

Ok, I'm attempthing to fix this laptop for my wife's aunt and the story is that she somehow put TWO passwords on the thing and doesn't remember what the other one is.  I got the Supervisor password unlocked but I can't seem to get the one that's locking me out of the hard drive (HD0).  I left the computer sit overnight with the CMOS battery out and it still hasn't cleared the password.  I also looked all around the motherboard and pretty much took it completely apart trying to find a three-pin jumper setup to clear out the CMOS memory.  Any ideas on how I can reset this password?

PS - It's a model 9550 with a 1GHz P3, 256 MB RAM, etc.

Reply #1
When are you prompted for this second password? Doesn't sound like a bios password to me...
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

Reply #2
The second PW comes up right after I would've entered the 'Supervisor/Admin' password.  It's called the HD0 password, so I'm assuming it's like a password placed on just the master HDD through BIOS.  When I pull the HDD out and start it up, it doesn't prompt for the password, just says OS not found.

Reply #3
Can you use a boot disk or an old copy of windows to get it to boot?

Have you tried to change the bios settings, or is the "HD0 Password" in the bios?

I'm still betting its the OEM software or a windows setting. What happends when you boot in safe mode?
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #4
I've seen no signs of Windows, I can't get that far.  It did have a main BIOS PW on it before and I managed to get that one off (based on things the owner has told me) and the prompt for it is the same as the HD0 one.  I can use a boot disk to boot it but it almost seems like the BIOS is basically stopping me from accessing the HDD.

Reply #5
To Better explain this I started it up one time and took note of everything it does.

1.) Gateway Splash screen comes up, offers press F2 to enter BIOS.  Can get in there no probem.  Shows no Supervisor password, but asks for old password if I try to change HD0 password.

2.) If I let the computer boot as normal, but with a bootable CD in... it STILL asks me for the HD0 password, when I enter the wrong one 4 times it locks the HDD and proceeds to the CD menu. 

So basically, the BIOS is locking me out of the HDD before I can start any OS or program that might be able to access it.  I've even tried changing jumpers on the HDD to make it slave or something and it still stops me to ask for a PW.

Reply #6
I see...

I guess this should be a bios flash somehow for the computer.
http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/getFile.asp?id=18274&dscr=Solo%209550%20Flash%20BIOS,%20version%2029.05.04&uid=252686205

I have never used a floppy bios flash.
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.

Reply #7
Well...I got lucky.  The owner insisted on two different passwords that she might've put in, neither of them worked by themselves and together they made 9 characters but the limit for it is eight.  With a little playing around I finally got into it and now I'm finishing up the install of a fresh copy of XP.

Reply #8
Sweet, good deal.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.