Skip to main content
Topic: Solid State HD's (Read 1332 times) previous topic - next topic

Solid State HD's

I was looking at a SSD for my HTPC with a Windows 7 upgrade vs the Vista that's on it. All the SSDs I can find are 2.5" for a laptop. I am not to worried about using a 2.5" drive but wanted to know if anyone has tried the SSD on a desktop and if you feel it's worth it. Read and write rates are insane, even when compared to a WD raptor. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Solid State HD's

Reply #1
From what i understand they aren't as good as the velociraptors in raid config. My buddy is using a solid state I7 combo in his HTPC but im not sure of his specific hardware. Its up and running from power up, ready to go in between 4-5 seconds. Obviously its very fast and very quiet. I'm not ready to make the jump yet to I7 (the build is a touch pricey for me at around 1800) but plan on using solid state for my programs and OS. No more FSB ftw!

Going from windows vista to windows 7 alone will be a breath of fresh air.
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Solid State HD's

Reply #2
Quote from: shame302;297695
From what i understand they aren't as good as the velociraptors in raid config. My buddy is using a solid state I7 combo in his HTPC but im not sure of his specific hardware. Its up and running from power up, ready to go in between 4-5 seconds. Obviously its very fast and very quiet. I'm not ready to make the jump yet to I7 (the build is a touch pricey for me at around 1800) but plan on using solid state for my programs and OS. No more FSB ftw!

Going from windows vista to windows 7 alone will be a breath of fresh air.

That is exactly how I was going to run the computer. I really only wanted one drive with an expandable storage space being external drives for recording, copying, and saving media. I figured it would be insane fast with little or no latency, using a 3yo motherboard.