Skip to main content
Topic: Got a virus that I cant find... (Read 5419 times) previous topic - next topic

Got a virus that I cant find...

Reply #30
Quote from: jcassity;289829
take a look at the combo im running on my thread in here.

so far so good.

when you run into a virus , first step is to alway run in safe mode and go hunting.

Clamwin will rototill through every bit and byte and put a stop to bad things.  It also does does some things that finally enables malewarebytes to delete files it could not delete before.

my combo>

clamwin
malwarebytes (full version)
spybot
CCleaner

my browser has recently changed to firefox. Bad thing is that IE needs to stay on your machine for the most part as many other MS Office programs need it/depend on it in one way or another.

Cnet has a lot of info on this topic ,,its a matter of opinion but for me, I stay on the beaten path I know works.  If it aint broke, im not fixing it.

Running clamwin now. It found it, but still waiting on it to finish. It really is going over every little thing.
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #31
Quote from: DVP;291247
Running clamwin now. It found it, but still waiting on it to finish. It really is going over every little thing.

Ran Clamwin last night, ran Malwarebytes' tonight, running McAfee right now.

Everything seems to be back to normal. Pulled 56 infections that  couldnt get before.

Thank you all for your help. Between no books for school and no computer I was on the fast track to failure.

I just hope Im not speaking too soon.
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #32
this is a bit late... but... You know the windows system restore program or whatever its called.  i've had a virus that would operate while sitting in a system restore.  it took me like 2 days to figure it out, but all i did was create a new restore point and the virus was gone.

just thought i'd warn or help someone trying to FIND a virus.

-Drew
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:america: An American Restoration. :birdsmily:
1987 Ford Thunderbird Sport (resting)
1993 Mazda Miata 1.6l (daily driver)

Reply #33
Quote from: ~AC;291570
this is a bit late... but... You know the windows system restore program or whatever its called.  i've had a virus that would operate while sitting in a system restore.  it took me like 2 days to figure it out, but all i did was create a new restore point and the virus was gone.

just thought i'd warn or help someone trying to FIND a virus.

-Drew

then it was a piss poor virus.  most of them regenerate or , worse case disable your restore points.

Reply #34
yeh it only was screwing with my IE (i use firefox now).. the same ol story of it wont let you download stuff or go to certain pages and then you'll be pulled to a site out of nowhere..  a friend of mine had a virus that disabled control over the OS and shut down the keyboard and formatted his hard drive..  right before hell let loose he tried to back info up on a ext-hard drive.. so after the reformatting was done, he tried to upload the info back on the fresh HD and the virus did it again, it was also backed up even though the exe wasnt intentionally backed up... so he lost all his tax stuff and other important info in the end, and had no control over it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:america: An American Restoration. :birdsmily:
1987 Ford Thunderbird Sport (resting)
1993 Mazda Miata 1.6l (daily driver)

Reply #35
Well still running healthy.

I used the same on my parents computer and found all kinds of things they where just working over.

My set up will be

Clamwin
Malwarebytes'
Spybot

How I dont end up with anything again.
1986 Cougar LS