Skip to main content
Topic: Got a virus that I cant find... (Read 5420 times) previous topic - next topic

Got a virus that I cant find...

Tried to watch a video on Facebook, told me I needed Flash Player (which I needed to upgrade mine so it made sense), and just like that my internet does what it wants.

I am running IE now because my Firefox didnt upgrade properly and I had to delete it, but it never removed correctly and I didnt really have time to mess with it. Now this virus wont let me even try yo download Firefox.

I believe it is contained to IE, but I could be wrong. I did a quick and full scan with McAfee (just bought again a week ago), cleaned out all my internet files, cleaned out whatever I could think of. Still there.

What it does is blocks certain website and reroutes me to one of their's, or will redirect me to their "search engine page" which is really just fake links to more spam BS.

I dont know what to do.
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #1
download spybot from download.com . Try downloading google chrome.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #2
try this one its works pretty good too
http://www.malwarebytes.org/
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #3
Quote from: Bob;289421
try this one its works pretty good too
http://www.malwarebytes.org/

The issue with these is it knows what im trying to do and wont let me load the page, or re directs me. Its really becoming a PITA, my McAfee has stopped about 8 Trojans tonight though, all due to the pages it is re directing me to.
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #4
No go on that one either Bob... Its really g me off because I have no control on what it is doing.
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #5
How about I email the current version of Spybot?  Would it let you download it then?  I can rename the file to 238dfjhf0 or something just in case it is looking for keywords.

Reply #6
Oh yeah, almost forgot.  Post a URL of what it is sending you to.  There may be info out there on getting rid of it.

Reply #7
your going to have to take that drive out and scan it on another computer to get rid of that thing. or low level format the drive to wipe it, then reinstall the OS and everything.

next time get a Mac......... JK
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #8
your working in safe mode right?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #9
XP or vista or what?

If its XP, do this.

start, run, type in msconfig.
Go to the start up tab and clear out everything. It will not hurt your system stability. It will just stop things like yahoo messenger or your  printer software from starting up everytime you start it up. This is more likely then not where your problem is.

Go to my computer. under the address tab, like where it says my computer, or my dospoogeents, just about anything, copy and paste this.

http://dw.com.com/redir?edId=3&siteId=4&oId=3001-20_4-10122137&ontId=20_4&spi=b3e4f0cc8da480bf1e60c4b7f01e7ba7&lop=txt&pid=11000454&mfgId=104443&merId=104443&pguid=6S9ZfAoPjAYAAHaakjwAAADe&destUrl=http://software-files2.download.com/s/software/11/00/04/54/spybotsd162.exe%3Fe%3D1251939759%26h%3D85115f981048e19367f00ee901d286d3%26lop%3Dlink%26ptype%3D1901%26ontid%3D20%26siteId%3D4%26edId%3D3%26spi%3Db3e4f0cc8da480bf1e60c4b7f01e7ba7%26pid%3D11000454%26psid%3D10122137%26fileName%3Dspybotsd162.exe

*Edit* open this link in a new window. Copy and paste will not work because of the tiny url stuff.

That is a direct download link to spybot search and destroy. Do an update the first time you run the program.

After that download either google chrome, or netscape. Stay away from IE at all costs. IE is also built into windows XP and vista. As soon as you have problems with IE, your windows should already be formatted with all information deleted. Generally programs like spybot will help out, but it is just masking the effects. Sooner or later, one of these programs will make it into your windows system files and you will not be able to delete it without formatting your hard drive.

Spyware is everywhere in everything you download. Some drivers and software come with spyware pre installed. Be very cautious of what you download and stop using internet explorer and you should be okay.
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.

Reply #10
well i guess your real problem is that you use IE according to everyone so far :toilet:
not those viruses and such...

anyway, FIRST disconnect your computer from your internet source(dsl phone line cable whatever)
download highjackthis from someone elses computer onto a memory card or somethng and put it on your computer. if you want ill send it to your email cleverly disguised as a virus so itll get past your antivirus :P
like bob stated you should be working in safemode while you are trying to fix this.
by the way what exactly was whatever you could think of reguarding what you deleted and such, you didnt just run cleanmgr did you?
"Beating the hell out of other peoples cars since 1999"
1983 Ford Thunderbird Heritage
1984 Ford Mustang GT Turbo Convertible

Reply #11
cougar86_89@yahoo.com, send me anything you guys think will work.

Vista.

I know every little about the inner workings of a computer so please bare with me.

I deleted anything that was a temporary file that was related to the internet. Whatever I could find related to IE that wasnt going to make it not run I tried to get rid of. I honestly have no idea what the hell im doing.
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #12
How do I go to safe mode
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #13
on start up tap f8 and select safe mode. Not safe mode with network.

You really should be able to do what I said and be able to clear them out. If you need a personal walkthrough, send me a PM and i'll send you my number and walk you through it.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Reply #14
DVP, a heads up you should remove your email address from your last posting it would be better to go thru PMs.
if you dont know how to get into safe mode do this instead.

win+r to use the run function
type msconfig
go to the boot.ini tab
click "SAFEBOOT" and select ok
your computer will restart(or it asks you if you want to i forget) and let it restart
it should now boot up in safemode

this is for Windows XP i have no clue if Vista works the same as i have never used it(and never will)
if someone here is more familiar with Vista it would be easier for
them to help you than me
"Beating the hell out of other peoples cars since 1999"
1983 Ford Thunderbird Heritage
1984 Ford Mustang GT Turbo Convertible