Skip to main content
Topic: I got hijacked! (Read 4014 times) previous topic - next topic

I got hijacked!

:hick: Yes...hijacked...and yes, I had no protection...I had protection, but it expired and I just never got it updated. So, I humbly as for any help if possible, knowing it was my own dayum fault...

I have a gateway PC running windows xp home edition. I was on Facebook the other night and was sent a video...like an idiot, I fell for it and tried to open it, but no luck. Now, today, my computer is hijacked, by some program that wants me to purchase anti virus software. Of course, I refuse to buy from these azzhats, even if it was a legit site!

So, I can't open up any programs...especially any anti virus or anti spyware stuff...but I can surf the net. I tried the Hijack this program, tried renaming it, but no luck. Well, with my limited computer knowledge, I'm stuck. I'd appreciate any help you guys can give me!

I got hijacked!

Reply #1
About the only thing I can suggest without refomatting is to find someone with a spyware removal program (I use SUPERAntiSpyware) and put it on a disc. Seems all the spyware out there now even prevents downloading a program...if it's very bad though, might be best to reformat.

Anyhow, whenever you get it sorted, make sure you get an anti-spyware AND a good anti-virus and use them, update, and all that jazz. ;)
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

I got hijacked!

Reply #2
look into AVG they have some free virus protection,i have also run into something similar to your problem. i run AVG with no problems

I got hijacked!

Reply #3
I've downloaded several anti-virus programs, but this hijack prevents me from opening anything. Not sure if I have any other options here...

I got hijacked!

Reply #4
Have you tried killing the virus in Safe mode?

I got hijacked!

Reply #5
No! I'm willing to try that...gotta figure out how to get it into safe mode...

I got hijacked!

Reply #6
Is the virus called security suite or something?  If so I should be able to help.

http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html

That's the program I used to remove that virus.  It's called Malwarebytes.  It says it cost money but you can download it and run it without registering.  It'll be good for getting rid of this virus one time.  Other than that I recommend Avast Antivirus to keep you protected.
84 TC 302 -5.0L/t5/7.5 locking rear and a 3.45 gear, Edelbrock Intake, Aluminum Heads, Edlebrock 65mm Throttlebody, Edlebrock Cam, 24lb injectors & MAS Air Sensor calibrated via chip,  BBK headers, Catback H pipe, Magnaflow lers :evilgrin:
:pics-stfu:

Project Thread with pics

I got hijacked!

Reply #7
Quote from: blu84302;285201
I recommend Avast Antivirus to keep you protected.

right! :roxor:
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

I got hijacked!

Reply #8
My parents had one of those, ended up having to reformat the hard-drive.

I've used Kaspersky now for several years with no problems.

Shiny Side Up!
Bill
"as if 'religion' were something God invented, and not His statement to us of certain quite unalterable facts about His own nature." -C.S. Lewis

I got hijacked!

Reply #9
Try this: http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

I've heard they were good.  Never used it though...
1988 Thunderbird Sport (1st car)
351W in the works
"I'll get it one piece at a time...":D

Quote from: bhazard;300566
You got woman'd.

I got hijacked!

Reply #10
Quote from: tireshredder;285246
Try this: http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

I've heard they were good.  Never used it though...

Tried it...again, the virus immediately shuts down any program I try to open...I may have to reformat...:mad:

I got hijacked!

Reply #11
Reboot, hit F8 before Windows starts to get the menu that lets you get into Safe Mode. Then try downloading and running it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
5.0L Speed density
Explorer intake
'92 Mustang GT cam
GT-40 racing heads
Unequal length headers
Custom-made duals
19# injectors
65mm TB
AFPR
T/C header panel
11" brake upgrade
T/C rear sway bar
Electrical mods: too many to list :D

I got hijacked!

Reply #12
you could do a selective startup, But thats more advanced.
~Project ThunderStorm = '84 Charcoal Thunderbird - First Car - Long Time Work in Progress~
~Project (No Name Yet) = 1970 Plymouth GTX/RR "Clone"~

I got hijacked!

Reply #13
YES! I rebooted in Safe Mode and then uses Stinger to remove that ! We are once again clean and operating in a safe AVG Anti-virus environment!

Thank you all for your help!

I got hijacked!

Reply #14
Quote from: BlackCardinal;285337
YES! I rebooted in Safe Mode and then uses Stinger to remove that ! We are once again clean and operating in a safe AVG Anti-virus environment!

Thank you all for your help!

Lucky!

When I had to clean my parent's computer, nothing I tried would find all the various hidden parts of the virus. Good Job!

Shiny Side Up!
Bill
"as if 'religion' were something God invented, and not His statement to us of certain quite unalterable facts about His own nature." -C.S. Lewis