Skip to main content
Topic: Sony Vaio clock issue (Read 2151 times) previous topic - next topic

Sony Vaio clock issue

My clock barely keeps real time and is very slow , even so slow a day could pass and it has only progressed an hour or so.

when i restart, the time is off but it moves along correctly but within 5 to 10 min it starts to stall out.

Running malwarebytes and spybot which both came out clean.
this is the computer i got in 05 to have in iraq.  All programs work fine, no stalls ect.  A few trial programs have expired such as msoffice and such.

also, my dvd drive wont auto run things anymore. cant put a disk in and have it know what to do.

any thoughts?

This migh be two different symptoms,,,
can the clock thing be my cmos battery? and if so,what headachs am i in for upon reboot if it is replaced.

the dvd player thing might be a driver thing? not sure were to update the driver from, as in what site.

Sony Vaio clock issue

Reply #1
I think the cmos battery is only used when theres no power to the computer. Cant hurt to replace though. No real headache, just make sure the bios settings are okay afterword.
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

Sony Vaio clock issue

Reply #2
I think I remember reading somewhere that Microsoft disabled autorun in one of its latest updates. Autorun is one of the biggest entry ways for viruses and malware, and there had been a recent surge in malware/viruses spread by it. Brand new media (from China, of course) was infecting machines, and of course Microsoft was getting all the blame.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Sony Vaio clock issue

Reply #3
TC
how does what you mentioned effect the clock?

I have the machine to ask me before updating and its always been able to accept the updates except for one.  seems like many machines out there cant take in every single update.

Sony Vaio clock issue

Reply #4
It doesn't. I was answering your second question. I didn't bother answering the first because bhazard already offered the same answer I would have.

However, as for the clock, is this a laptop or a desktop? If it's a desktop I'd replace the cmos battery (if it's not soldered onto the board, I have seen them like that). If it's a laptop you just may be screwed, because the battery would be hidden deep within the bowels of the machine.

You migh also try googling your problem, it may be common and easily fixed (or, by the same token, not fixable). A BIOS update from Sony might fix it. I generally google my computer hardware problems first, and usually find answers. For example, when my laptop's CD/DVD drive stopped reading CD's but would still read DVD's I googled "Gateway MX7525 laptop not reading CD's" and found out it's a common problem with my particular drive: The laser that reads CD's is burned out.

*EDIT*
Which OS are you using on this computer? If you're using XP I would recommend installing TweakUI. It's a program made by MS engineers but not officially supported my MS (though you can download it rrom Microsoft.com). This program allows you to tweak many Windows functions, including one setting which allows you to enable or disable Autoplay on any drive you like. Try following the advice found in this article, too:

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/when_windows_xp_autoplay_goes_wrong_and_how_to_fix_it
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Sony Vaio clock issue

Reply #6
I used to have a program back in the 98 days that would auto sync your clock with the official us time. I'll see if its still around.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Sony Vaio clock issue

Reply #7
there is a program on xp that does something similar to that.

double click your clock to go into the date/time properties
on the last tab youll see internet time

in your services(services.msc) there is also the windows time service

i was going to comment on them possibly being disabled or something but ive never had an issue with both of mine being disabled on my newer computer, but on my older one it has the same symptoms as jcassity
i never update anything on either. never will.
"Beating the hell out of other peoples cars since 1999"
1983 Ford Thunderbird Heritage
1984 Ford Mustang GT Turbo Convertible

Sony Vaio clock issue

Reply #8
Sounds like the CMOS Battery (Quarter Sized Button Cell on Desktops, Much Different for Laptops).

Faulty/Dead battery will cause most clock operations (or those relying on) in the computer to come up with errors along with other small things.

Changing it should not cause too much trouble depending on your setup, If it's already dead (sounds like it is/close to it) then it wont be any worse than whats currently happening~Just check your bios settings and clock settings afterwards.

For Desktop (ATX): just grab a lil' Flathead and pop it out, Then put a new one in.
For Laptop: You gotta go diggin' around, And takin' the thing apart like Thunder Chicken said>Unless... there happens to be a compartment door that allows you to reach it (rare). And these are sometimes special order batteries (or just use ebay), But usually just the same as Desktop Batteries nowadays.

Don't be too scared to open it up if its a laptop, Just be careful~Here's my E1505 i got from a friend, I had to fix several things internally as well as THOROUGHLY CLEAN IT (FILTHY!!!). inside and out:
~Project ThunderStorm = '84 Charcoal Thunderbird - First Car - Long Time Work in Progress~
~Project (No Name Yet) = 1970 Plymouth GTX/RR "Clone"~

Sony Vaio clock issue

Reply #9
ive had it open twice,, no real big deal.

I had to get to the key pad which resides under every friggin thing, to get at particles of stuff that prevented several keys from working.