Skip to main content
Topic: 1988 Thunderbird from Sweden (Read 44014 times) previous topic - next topic

1988 Thunderbird from Sweden

Reply #15
Whoa! Four lug Bullits! Very cool! I had looked for those!  Where did you get them?

Reply #16
They're not bullitts. They're actually American Racing. What model is unknown though. Never seen them on any other car than mine.

Reply #17
Double post and update with a fresh photo of the driveway!
We're running out of space! It's not the ammount of cars that's the problem, it's the space! We need a bigger driveway :D

Reply #19
Mark VIII's and Birds! Nice! I love the terminator rims on your Dad's car.
-'88 Tbird 3.8
-2012 Altima 2.5 BASE. 
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Future: Budget 5.0 300 HP.

Reply #20
Yeah we recieved a Mark Viii fever this winter.
They're great cars! Love mine and dad loves his :)

Reply #21
Been abit busy with my Mark Viii lately, haven't even given my bird the weekly wash! :(
My Lincoln is my winter beater/daily driver so a decent sound system is required in my opinion.
The setup is: JL 12w7 powered by DLS Ultimate A6 amp and front system is DLS Nordica 6.2 powered by a DLS Ultimate A3 amp.
Here's how it turned out! :)
The headunit

Quite empty :)

Some wood for the box and also while building the box

Test fitting of the subwoofer box and measurements of the amps

Building the amp rack

A Nissan is a great table when spraying things! Highly recommended ;)

JL 12w7 is a quite big subwoofer :)

And it's in!

Amp cover off

Doors

Finished the Mark today so got the T-bird in the garage for some oil filling. Some oil has magically disappeared so I put some new back in. I think I need to keep an eye on the oil level from now on.

Also found some older pictures of the baby ;)
I think this was the day I got her home, 5 years ago.

Doesn't look too bad but oh boy she was rusty

I think this was just a few months after, winter was coming. Also shows that I was a master with the camera! :hick:

Left driver side fender was way too rusty so we found one that was less rusty

I have no idea what year

Two years ago (I think)

1½ year ago I believe

First time we painted it. It failed, lack of good lights in the old paint booth and ran out of paint. Second try we painted it in our garage (have no pics of that unfortinetly).

Me peeling the masking

And how she was a few days ago

Hmm... This was a long reply with lots of pictures... I don't think you guys mind that, if you do, that's too bad for you :D

Reply #22
Nice work on the sub. It looks like a monster.

turbo charged 94 Cobra engine/440cc injectors/megasquirt /5 speed swapped (T5)/maxbox upper intake/70mm PP throttle body/AJE coilovers/2003 Mustang control arms/S.T. sway bars/ES rear control arm bushings/11" brake conversion/manual rack conversion/8.8 TC rear with rear discs and a welded diff/3.73 gears/PLX wideband/199mph speedometer/Aeromotive FPR/CNC hydraulic hand brake/cobra R wheels/....ect.

Reply #24
Quote from: Trinom;397228
Are those amber turn signals from VW Golf 2 too?:hick:

Oh my god they could be! :D
They're so deep in the trash they could possibly be! :D I have no amber turn signals on this car (apart from the original ones in the front).
You my fellow european friend have also felt the pain in the ass with the EU regulations about amber turn signals :)

Reply #25
I know, but nobody cares about it in the traffic. I have to wire for the inspection only.
The red one (which we have many years) had the euro modification, but it was easy to repair (I just swapped the lights). The silver one has the H4 lamps in the front (and they have white parking lights inside) and it has unfortunatelly cut holes for those turn signal lamps in the rear PU bumper. Nobody cares, that they aren't visible in the direct sunlight, but they have to be there. So, I'm solving, how to fix that bumper and fill the hole with something and put the amber turn signals to the lenses. I've made a LED turn signals I installed into those euro-damaged tail lamps and it looks good. I can put a non-damaged lense on it and go pass the inspection.

Reply #26
Both my bumpers were cut. We repaired it with some special bondo for this type of plastic (will not crack).
I now don't have amber lights anywhere on this car (I need it in the rear and front fenders) and so far I've gotten no complaints. I'll never put that on the car, if I must I'll do some temporary wiring and attach some ugly amber turn signals with double sided tape and then remove it as fast as possible after the inspection.
The big white lights in the front is parking lights which I moved to the inner part of the headlights (the small triangle closest to the grill).
And  that turn signal was shagy! Cool solution! I like it! :) Good thing they only ruined a pair of lights instead of the whole bumper like on my car and your other T-bird.

Sometimes I wonder if people here in Sweden/Europe even understand my red turnsignals. I've asked a few non-car persons and none of them even knew it existed. Sometimes it feels so unessecary using the turn signal when people most likely doesn't even understand it :D

Reply #27
It's a bit different here. People often ask me, why my Scorpio has the amber turn signals, if it's made in US. It's a quite tricky to explain them, that it isn't made in states, but in Germany. It just has an american look.

This is probably due to the most american cars here have red turn signals and "somehow" pass the inspections. Older cars on historic plates don't even have to pass standard inspections. Most of them don't even have a rear fog lamp (which I find very useful in foggy spring and autumn mornings or a heavy rain).

Reply #28
That's weird when thinking of how it is in Sweden.
We have a huge interest of american cars (just google Power Big Meet where there's 12,000 american cars attending each year).
My car passed inspection with only red turn signals (although I must have amber). They didn't even check. But the rules in Sweden are abit... strange.
If you import a car from america, you will have tough exhaust regulations and you must have amber turn signals.
Although if you have owned the car in the US for 1 year and take it with you while moving to Sweden none of those regulations apply to your car o.O

But rear fog lights, are they really useful in Czech Republic? I have not seen a single car here in Sweden with rear fog lights apart from the newer cars which has it from factory.

Funny how different things can be! :D

Here's a russian friend I found on Power Meet this summer ;)

Reply #29
Vasteras power big meet is very famous, I know about it. Do we know that russian guy? Is he registered here?

What do you meat with the word "appart"? New european cars have the rear fog lamp as a part of the tail light. American doesn't, so you have to add the fog lamp under the bumper, or put the red bulb to the left backup lamp or just rewire the tail lamps (it's standard for newer mustangs and camaros). There are tons of options, how to do it without damaging a car.