Skip to main content
Topic: 1986 XR7 351 turbo swap.... (Read 56062 times) previous topic - next topic

1986 XR7 351 turbo swap....

Reply #60
Got the engine mostly together.  Still need to finish the rest of the accessories, oil pan and rockers....man this has turned out to be the biggest project I have ever worked on.

Travis

Reply #61
Looking good! I'm now thinking when I upgrade the engine I'll make it an LS based conversion. No time soon, though.

Reply #62
Updates....Man life sure gets in the way sometimes :)

After that picture I got the alternator and motor mounts installed.  I had to switch to an Edelbrock Performer intake upper and 351 lower.  My cheap ebay intake did this.  After considerable amount of massaging.  If the injectors bosses where moved 1/4" it might have worked.

I thought about buying the correct edelbrock spyder efi intake and fuel rail.  But at $550...I just couldn't budget it.  I did get my nice radiator and 75mm throttlebody.

Getting my small list of odds and ends to finish this on Saturday morning.  Needs me some 351 turbo power.

Travis

Reply #63
Looks good, has to be great to be that close. Seems like there is always something that slows progress.

Reply #64
That's a bummer on the intake. Just sloppy machining/ design.:punchballs:

Reply #65
Quote from: flylear45;392267
That's a bummer on the intake. Just sloppy machining/ design.:punchballs:

All the cheap eBay stuff was all the same bad casting.  It would work with aftermarket heads I believe just not the gt40's I have.

Travis

Reply #66
Quote from: turbotrav;392332
All the cheap eBay stuff was all the same bad casting.  It would work with aftermarket heads I believe just not the gt40's I have.

Travis

What's the difference? I am not familiar enough to picture it.

Reply #67
Quote from: flylear45;392393
What's the difference? I am not familiar enough to picture it.

Check the middle pic of the intake.  The injector boss pretty much dead ends into the head above the intake port!  I had to look at it a few times to figure what I was looking at. 

Those injector bungs are so far off, I'd be surprised if that intake would work with many aftermarket heads in a fuel injected application!  Might work if the heads were ported to a 1262r gasket, and that is a BIG head.

Reply #68
I see the problem, just can't see how a different head would change anything. Strange design.

Reply #69
Quote from: flylear45;392542
I see the problem, just can't see how a different head would change anything. Strange design.

It probably wont.....just an idea.  I paid $265ish for that intake and a cheap big aftermarket fuel rail.  Im going to sell it all on the corral...That big intake sure would make uber power with a turbo, or super high rev setup.

Travis

Reply #70
Couple of more pics....If all goes well this week it will be installed.  I also ordered turbo blanket, remflex header gasket, spark plug boot heat covers. 

Got the lower, upper, and injectors all setup.  I even got the stupid engine set at TDC.  :)

Still have to put oil in her and prime her.

Getting almost there...

Im visiting Fastenal couple of times a week for quality bolts...

Reply #71
Today I pushed the old XR7 out of the garage.  Figured a quick wash would be a good idea.  Its heading to the shop in a couple of days for the 351w.

About half way there....

Travis

Reply #72
Looks like those badges need to come off! :)
-'88 Tbird 3.8
-2012 Altima 2.5 BASE. 
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Future: Budget 5.0 300 HP.

Reply #73
Hope it goes together well (and quickly!).

Reply #74
Thanks 86...beyond the physical installation of the engine and tranny.  I have the turbo kit, wiring, megasquirt, and then I hope it starts!....then abit of breakin and then go from there.

Travis

P.s.  I do need to update the emblems to 5.8!