Skip to main content
Topic: Painting my cougar (Read 4081 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Painting my cougar

Reply #15
I would do it at the upper body line. Wise move going away from the pear white. It's an awsome color but extremely $$$$$$$$

Reply #16
best i could do :dunno:

Reply #17
I like the one with the black stripe. But I think I am going to use the upper body line to break it up. Thanks for doing the photoshops. :D    I really appreciate it! Every one has really helped me decide. I am going to go with silver on the bottom and blue on the top. I might even add the black line between the two colors.

Painting my cougar

Reply #18
on another note (because i'm piggybacking)  the  charcoal paint on my car isn't listed as a two-tone color on the door label and only the black is the only color listed there and on the 999 report, however, the paint line for the two-tone is clearly behind the rear bumper moldings and behind the panels on the inside of the doors... does that mean that i do have a factory two-tone paint job?

OOOH!!!  I'm a Eco Hypermiler :burnout: Not bad for 79mph on the interstate 2hours a day

Painting my cougar

Reply #19
Hmm that's weird. Mine is tue tone metalic silver over metalic gray and it has that paint code on the door tag. Your paint looks factory. Perhaps they goofed at the factory when the put the paint code on the door tag. Or maybe someone had the dealer paint the car tue tone and they did a hell of a job. I don't know if your car is like this but the top color should have gone on first so if you look under the hood the inner fenders should be the same color as the top color as well as the underside of the car.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Painting my cougar

Reply #20
Eh, nothing like reviving 2 year old posts.
One 88

Painting my cougar

Reply #22
Quote from: CougarSE

Quote from: Cougarcruisin
Fo' Shizzle:nono:

so was my question really new post worthy? (i was posting the pic to coincide with an email to eric because i don't think i can send message pics)
And when have i shown Forum Etiquette before?  Where's the instruction manual to this internet thing anyway?

Quote from: thunderjet302
Or maybe someone had the dealer paint the car tue tone and they did a hell of a job. I don't know if your car is like this but the top color should have gone on first so if you look under the hood the inner fenders should be the same color as the top color as well as the underside of the car.

anyway, to answer the question, yes the paint code for the car is black, which is everywhere else (in the engine bay, etc.).....  this was a dealer demo, so god only knows what they did to it...... i even have a ford sticker in the trunk talking about my locking lugnuts......  but those are definitely aftermarket rims..... anyway, i guess the car's just a freak and i should be glad the wife wants it  :)..... another thing..... near the driver door, the paint is chipping off (from god knows what) and there doesn't seem to be any black under the charcoal color.......  would the factory have painted it all black then applied the 2nd color over it, or was that just a waste of paint and what i should expect from it being an aftermarket two-tone?

OOOH!!!  I'm a Eco Hypermiler :burnout: Not bad for 79mph on the interstate 2hours a day

HELP!!!!!!any parts for 1987 cougar XR7 , free would be nice .

Reply #23
My Wish List Is A Horn Blow Ring For The Sport Wheel I Have A T-bird Horn Blow Want A Cougar One Will Trade Someone . I Need Power Steering Lines For My Whole Rack System  . Mine Rusted Through  Completly , And A Set Of Turbine Wheels I Have The Ten Hole Cougar Wheels  I Live In Aberdeen Md 21001 . And Last ,where Does One Find The Electronic Sequencial Turn Signal Box. ..so Fella's I'm On A Disability And Can't Afford Much But Will Do My Best ((work With Me )) Fellas'  Always Appreciative...i Have A Question  How Can One Get The Sound Of A 5.0 Mustang Out Of My 5.0 Cougar What Do I Need!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!another Question I Have The 4 Lug Wheels How Can I Change The 4 To A 5 Lug And Since I Have A Posi Rear What Car Would I Have To Get These Parts Off Of And What Rotors Will Work And Can I Use The Factory Calipers Or Does It All Have To Be Changed And How Can I Change The Drum Brakes To Disc  On The Rear..  Forever Greatful Cat Eyes

Painting my cougar

Reply #24
Quote from: CougarSE

LMAO, I didnt even notice...I was just confused because I thought the car was totaled or he didnt even have it anymore...

Painting my cougar

Reply #25
 this thread for more than one reason has got me messed up...  And the bad part is i read the whole thing.  I guess i might as well add something. 

they probably wouldn't have painted the whole car black and put the charcoal on top.  That is a waste of paint, the dealer probably sanded it down lightly and painted a coat or two of the charcoal. But i don't know nothing about factory two tone paint.
84 TC 302 -5.0L/t5/7.5 locking rear and a 3.45 gear, Edelbrock Intake, Aluminum Heads, Edlebrock 65mm Throttlebody, Edlebrock Cam, 24lb injectors & MAS Air Sensor calibrated via chip,  BBK headers, Catback H pipe, Magnaflow lers :evilgrin:
:pics-stfu:

Project Thread with pics

Painting my cougar

Reply #26
Hmm now you've got me wondering about factory tue tone paint. My car has silver under the hood, in the trunk, and the underside is silver as well. The car has gray in the door jambs and behind the head and tail lights. The gray stops just past the rock panel on the underside of the car. Ford might have painted the car all silver and then added charcoal over it. I just don't want to chip my paint to find out ;) .
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.