Skip to main content
Topic: GST ground effects kit fitment issues (Read 5125 times) previous topic - next topic

GST ground effects kit fitment issues

Does anyone with the GST ground effects kit on an '87-'88 not have a fitment issue with the driver side valance?

Or confirm if you have the same problem with the top edge of the rear section sloping down away from the molding as you look at it starting from the rear wheel well where it is tight against the molding and then move your eye along the top edge toward the door. A gap gets larger toward the door.  So the top edge is tight against the molding at the wheel well side but behind the driver door, there is a gap.

Do we all have that? I can't get it to fit any better and it's g me off. :mad:
"lol.. because not too many people care for that style of car"
[size=-2]Click on paw print \/[/size]

Re: GST ground effects kit fitment issues

Reply #1
I had the same prob with my Xenons are you fibreglass or eurethane? because mine are eurethane so simple double sided tape can fix the problem. if it's fibreglass try adjusting hte positon aruond the wheel well. IE have one screw on the inside of the well but on the top portion of the gfx and pull the bottom outward I think that should start to get the alignment behind the door closer.

EDIT, with my xenons i remember the part that curves into the wheel well i had to line up the edge exactly with the part that curves in from the fender and that pretty much lined up everything on the side well.

Reply #2
Hey Alex, thanks for the suggestions.  Mine is fiberglass.  My suspicion is the molds are faulty but I wanted to check here before I decide to live with it.

Here is what I am talking about.  I was able to shove it up under the molding more than this picture shows which minimizes the protrusion but it still slopes down toward the door thus exposing that lip.

Reply #3
now that's odd, definitely something looks out of place there.

Reply #4
I have these on my car and they did not fit perfect but the are fiberglass and should have been fitted before paint. When fiberglass parts are made a great deal of heat is created through the curing process wich can cause some shrinkage and worping and you just cant expect a perfect fit. Each pair made will require sanding and adding some fiberglass or body filler to get the fit perfect. I attached a picture of mine. Unfortunatly I bought my side skirts used so they were very beat up and required alot a work to get to the condition you see but they looked like yours in the beggining

Reply #5
hi nice side skirts. is there any way that i can see the whole car the way it is now. i would apreacate it

Reply #6
Quote from: dalefralix45658
hi nice side skirts. is there any way that i can see the whole car the way it is now. i would apreacate it

Reply #7
Quote from: andrew beedle
I have these on my car and they did not fit perfect but the are fiberglass and should have been fitted before paint....

Yeah, no sh_t, that's what I paid the body shop to do and they obviously didn't give a .  I didn't know how these things went on until I got the car back from the shop and since they did such a  job, I had to undo what they did and am trying to improve upon it.

When fiberglass parts are made a great deal of heat is created through the curing process wich can cause some shrinkage and worping and you just cant expect a perfect fit. Each pair made will require sanding and adding some fiberglass or body filler to get the fit perfect...

When I got the car back from the body shop, I took off the ground effects and reinstalled them myself and sanded them where needed.

Thanks for the explanation on how this happens during the production stage though.

Here are two other cars with the same problem (my fitment issue looks like the red one's):

Reply #8
I did change mine quit a bit but I do think mine might of had some slope in them but being I had to piece mine together I did not even care But all you can do is straghten out the edge with some fiberglass and re paint them.

Reply #9
I did change mine quit a bit but I do think mine might of had some slope in them but being I had to piece mine together I did not even care But all you can do is straghten out the edge with some fiberglass and re paint them.

Yeah, it looks like if I want to fix that, the only way is to use fiberglass and repaint it like you said.  What kind of glass should I use?  Shortstrand?

Reply #10
Im not trying to hijack your thread but may I ask you how much it cost you for the shipping and how they sent it...
Do you remember the size of the box(es)

Everything in one box or seperatly? Did you order directly from GSTfx? The cost of shipping is scaring me a little...
On their site they claim the shipping starts at 80$US
I ask a Custom broker because GSTfx said the box exceed the 165" limit (L")+2x(H")+2x(D") for approximately 20lb 72"x18"x36" and they told me 450$US+Tax from their Zipcode to Montreal.  :bs:

Reply #11
Quote from: Sly1990
Im not trying to hijack your thread but may I ask you how much it cost you for the shipping and how they sent it...
Do you remember the size of the box(es)

Everything in one box or seperatly? Did you order directly from GSTfx? The cost of shipping is scaring me a little...
On their site they claim the shipping starts at 80$US
I ask a Custom broker because GSTfx said the box exceed the 165" limit (L")+2x(H")+2x(D") for approximately 20lb 72"x18"x36" and they told me 450$US+Tax from their Zipcode to Montreal.  :bs:

Ordered December 2002

87-8 Cougar Aero Kit (6 pcs): $820.00
Wing: $215.00
Driving lights (pair) 3" x 5.75" : $65.00
Monza exhaust tips: "free"
Dec. Discount & freight special: -$150.00
Freight: $50.00

Total: $1,000

It was sent by 18-wheeler or big R&L shipping truck of some sort.  All the pieces were in separate boxes or at least mostly separate.  The side valences may have been in the same box but if you can imagine the size box it would take to enclose a Turbo Coupe front bumper cover, there's one box.  Then another for the rear bumper cover.  Then another the length from one wheel to the other and another the width of your trunk.  They are big boxes because well, they are big pieces.

I don't know what the prices are now but if you call them up, the owner will most likely be the one who answers and what you do is ask a few questions about the kit and how much it costs and what it comes with and do some math in your head and then propose an even round number as an offer or ask if there are any specials.  I got everything listed there delivered for and even one grand US $.

Reply #12
Thanks for the Info.

I called them last month but since i'm better at typing then talking in english,At least here I have time to think about what im about to say and reread it 5x before I press the POST buton.... :giggle:

I really looked like a dumb ass when I called him.... He also easely realise I was from canada before I told him because of my accent.... :giggle:
Im pretty sure he had a good laugh.... :slap:

Reply #13
use the short stand.  Ruff up the surface you have then soak the fiberglass mat in resein and apply. Get the right shape then smooth it out with some filler and repaint.

Reply #14
hey cougars 2 go  what did you get  those front head lights out of?  i've been looking for lights like that on cars on cars at the bone yard for almost a year now and hven't found anything like those. :bowdown:
I love it when a plan comes together!!!-Hanibal Smith (A-Team)