Skip to main content
Topic: Question for Crystal (Read 4395 times) previous topic - next topic

Question for Crystal

Hey Crystal,

I heard through the grapevine that you painted your interior from grey to black.

I was wondering which interior paint you used and how it worked out.  Specifically I am considering painting a pair of door panels.

Thanks for any feedback.

Re: Question for Crystal

Reply #1
Quote from: bq93
Hey Crystal,

I heard through the grapevine that you painted your interior from grey to black.

I was wondering which interior paint you used and how it worked out.  Specifically I am considering painting a pair of door panels.

Thanks for any feedback.

VHT Satin Black, It worked well, just gotta do a couple coats. It's harder to get right on the hard plastic, but worked awesome on the door panels

I'll take a couple pics on my way to welding class tonight

Reply #2
Gloss black, not satin, sorry bout that. Will get clearer pics when I'm in less of a rush...

The dash was done previously in flat black and needs to be painted to match still. I prefer the gloss since you don't need to armor all it (which would cause touchups to not stick)

Reply #3
Thanks for the pics.  That's what I think I'm going to shoot for.

The dookie brown interior just isn't cuttin' it.

Reply #4
What did you use for the carpet part of the doors?
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #5
you can already guess my comment Crystal...
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #6
Quote from: Haystack
What did you use for the carpet part of the doors?

uh... carpet  ;)

which comment this ime shawn?

Reply #7
i beleave he's refering to the foot technique... same thing i use. hold object with foot to take picture. theirs a few pix of me doing this and their blurry because its me in the middle of falling on my a$$ :p  (no ballance)

Reply #8
nice little girl foot...

Reply #9
true...itty bitty girl feet.
j/k
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #10
Ony way the door would stay open ( hills) ;)

and there's just an itty bitty girl attached to the itty bitty foot. How many people do you know that sit on top of the car to work on it 90% of the time?

Reply #11
Mmmm, tiny shoes.

Hey, that's my engine hoist!

Reply #12
Back on subject....I would recommend SEM interior paint as well. Just used it on my dash top for my '88 Blue Max and it works incredibly. You can find it at good auto paint stores in spray cans. I think there are about 30 colors to choose from including black. It works on just about everything too (carpeting, hard plastic, flexible plastic, etc.).

I have used Molecubond on the convertible in the past and generally like it. But it seems as if they've gone through some type of product change; it's called ColorBond now. Wal-Mart doesn't seem to carry it anymore. There's info here: http://www.bryndana.com . But after using the SEM paint and know that it's generally more available, I'd recommend that first.

Hardest part is prepping the surface: Simple Green or even lacquer thinner to clean first, then a light scuffing with a red Scotch-Brite pad, and a final wiping with rubbing alcohol, and you're ready to spray immediately.

Reply #13
Yeah, SEM is great and what the dash was originally done in (hasnn't been touched up since done over a year ago). I just had a hook up on the VHT which is why I used it (for $2/can, I'm not gonna argue). Good paint, just hard to find.

Reply #14
SEM rocks
It's Gumby's fault.