Skip to main content
Topic: Dash board lights out (Read 1574 times) previous topic - next topic

Dash board lights out

My dashboard lights went out in my car yesterday, but them came back on later. Then they went out again. I noticed that when they did work and I used the dimmer switch to turn on inside lights the dash went dark again, but came back on when i turned off interior lights with the dimmer switch. Does this sound like a bad headlight/dimmer switch? I did have a turn signal and headlight out, but i replaced them and this happened after. Any suggestions or advice, thanks!

Dash board lights out

Reply #1
First thing, what year car are you talking about?  buttstuffog or Digital dash?
Mike

Dash board lights out

Reply #2
1988 digital speedometer but buttstuffog guages forgot to add that.

Dash board lights out

Reply #3
Check the wiring for the headlamp/dimmer switch. Sometimes they burn, causing weird issues, since the power for the lights runs through the switch. Also check the ignition switch, especially if any other weird electrical gremlins are present.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Dash board lights out

Reply #4
I took it out and there was a bunch of blue/green powder residue underneath the switch. I blew that off and it seems to be working now, but still shuts off the panel when i turn the done light. What is that part specifically called that I would replace? When I have looked up the headlight switch it doesn’t look like the part that I saw.

Dash board lights out

Reply #5
Quote from: thunderjet302;464966
Check the wiring for the headlamp/dimmer switch. Sometimes they burn, causing weird issues, since the power for the lights runs through the switch. Also check the ignition switch, especially if any other weird electrical gremlins are present.

Thanks for the advice.