Skip to main content
Topic: Car lights blink repeatedly and car won't start (Read 1119 times) previous topic - next topic

Car lights blink repeatedly and car won't start

I have an 88 Cougar and the starter was replaced on the vehicle. when we tried to start it after replacing the starter, the lights flash repeatedly and nothing happens when you try to start it. I know I am getting power down to the starter, but is there some kind of anti-theft system that needs to be shut off?  The car has had the lights flash repeatedly after the car battery was dead and I jumped it, but it would start. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply #1
Check your starter solenoid.

If the car doesn't crank, then the trigger wire may not be getting activated. You could try jamming a screw driver into the posts of the solenoid to see if it will crank. I hate anti theft systems. I pulled one out of my tbird when I did the t-5 swap because the wires ran acrossed the colum and I couldn't drop it without removing it. It did not go back in.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #2
Thanks for the tip. I will give it a try.

Reply #3
Figured it out, just a loose line that needed to be tightened. So, easy fix.