Skip to main content
Topic: '84 TC Ignition problems. (Read 924 times) previous topic - next topic

'84 TC Ignition problems.

Ok, I posted something about this over on NATO a while back, but I'm scared to go back and repost, so I'll see what you guys have to say.

This problem started as an intermittent cutting out once the car got pretty warm.  Whenever I attempted to accelerate off-idle, the car would cut out, like someone pulling the plug on me.  If the car sat and cooled say... 45 mins, it would run agian until it was put under a load and then cut out again.  If the car sat overnight, it was like new again.  Until it got warm.

My attempt at fixing it (throw money at it) was to replace the TFI module.  I never drove the car long enough to really heat it up and chance my luck.  One night I was leaving my girlfriend's house and the car hasn't started since.

After cranking it over and over you can begin to smell gas, and the fuel pump is audible when the key is turned on.  I pulled the wire off of the coil to examine the presence of spark while cranking and I didn't see any.  The only time I saw a spark was the initial pulse of the coil when the key is first turned on.  Cranking the car yielded no visible spark.

So, what's the next course of action here?  I think I'm actually having someone else look at it. which is probably against my better judgement. but I'm so disgusted with this thing, it's about all I can do.  Anyone have any ideas on what to try next?

Re: '84 TC Ignition problems.

Reply #2
"like someone pulling the plug on me."

Long shot here for part of your problem-----21 year old car, any chance that the ignition switch is ailing or intermittent?

John R