Skip to main content
Topic: Evolution II.....SEFI upgrade ..... updated 10-23-2015 (Read 117715 times) previous topic - next topic

Evolution II.....SEFI upgrade ..... updated 10-23-2015

Reply #315
Quote from: thunderjet302;451907
You'll have it done just in time to put it away for the winter ;).

at this rate, I'll have it done in time to take it out next April. :hick:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #316
so far it looks like it may be a wiring nightmare
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Reply #317
Jerry, I saw the fog light covers (NOS) on ebay for $65 buy it now....shipped. That's cheap. Also, your bracket has been shipped.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #318
may be looking for the front wiring harness, the harness that goes into the drivers side firewall, and the AC compressor wiring harness to make this work... they would have to be for an 86 5.0
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #319
I'm Back.....

After a year or so of figuring out the best way to tackle my EFI upgrade, I decided to install harnesses from an 87. Dash and engine bay....
There was way to many incompatibilities with an 85 dash harness and an 86 computer harness. Not to mention the front headlight wiring nightmare that has the old wiring that connected to the battery located on the pass side of the car.The next idea was using an 87 dash harness with an 86 computer harness.... Still a bad idea. They also don't connect together without a lot of re-wiring, and re-pinning. and the connectors are also diff between the 2. After looking at wiring diagrams for months, Mustangs included (which were closer to an 87 computer harness), I decided the only way to do this painlessly, and be able to troubleshoot future problems, was to start from scratch so to speak... So everything is now getting upgraded to an 87 in the vert. I also have parts that I can now swap between the 2 cars going this route, so in the end it was a no brainer. Today I stripped the dash and wiring out. And so begins the rest of the storyX
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #320
Im about ready to part out my 86 cougar, lots of miles, but ran like a top. Id imagine the 86 stuff would be easier....
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #321
Quote from: Haystack;459079
Im about ready to part out my 86 cougar, lots of miles, but ran like a top. Id imagine the 86 stuff would be easier....

probably the same as what I'm doing with the 87 stuff
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #322
Yeah, but the headlights and dash should be the same harness.

The 85-86 cars they only ran the wires needed, the 87-88 cars there are a ton more connectors and wiring to make adding options easier.

Let me know if you need anything.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #323
has anyone replaced the dash harness before? is attaching it to the dash frame, and re-installing the dash the best way to go about this procedure?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #324
That's the way I did mine. Best advice to give is to mount it "loosely" to the connecting points. I used zip ties that weren't quite snug the last time...so if I need to tug on a bundle an inch or so..I could.

My regret is being EVTM-illiterate, else I'd probably still be playing with the sport.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #325
What tires & wheels, offset you have mounted on the convertible. Those look nice and beefy in the back. I would like to install the fattest that can fit under the wells and then give it a nascar kind of look with the rims and wide white lettering and maybe a little lowering.
1985 Muscle Car V8 Thunderbird
tbirdregistry.com - #56919
Lorain, OH. Assembly #151041
811 TBirds followed Mine

1988 Thunderbird V6
tbirdregistry.com - #80084
Lorain, OH. Assembly #111106