Skip to main content
Topic: Talking cylinder heads. (Read 5380 times) previous topic - next topic

Talking cylinder heads.

Reply #30
It will for abit....stock AOD hmm....if you do the mods that you are thinking of, that will be twice the hp and more torque than stock....

Travis

Talking cylinder heads.

Reply #31
Idk about that though. The mustangs and f150s had the same trans. People upgrade the stangs all the time from the stock 230hp I don't see why it wouldn't handle up to 300hp.

Talking cylinder heads.

Reply #32
Quote from: 5.0thunderbird;412210
You really think that the trans can't handle that power? Would I have to do a full trans swap?

No but assuming it's in good condition it should at least get a shift kit and hardened inner input shaft...

When I installed my TW headed 5.0, the low mileage Super Coupe AOD didn't do too badly if it shifted on it's own but it struggled if manually shifted at 6000 RPM... After I installed the Trans-Go kit it was great but busted the inner shaft on the 2nd pass down the track... With the hardened shaft it's lived through over 700 drag strip passes(some with a 75 or 150 shot of juice) and still shifts fairly well, but it's not as crisp as when the kit was first installed...

BTW I only ran type F fluid in it the whole time it was in the car...

Talking cylinder heads.

Reply #33
The stock AOD behind the 86-88 SO 5.0 tbird/cougar isnt the best...can be upgraded.  With a shift kit...it may live.  The input shafts are weak.  I always read manually shifting a stock AOD is a no no...

Anyways to the OP...if you go head with all of your planned mods...ie heads, intake, tb, injectors, maf/eec upgrade, fuel pump...the extra cost and time of installing a shift kit shouldnt be that big of a deal :)

Good luck,

Travis

Talking cylinder heads.

Reply #34
Where would I get the shift kit from?

Talking cylinder heads.

Reply #35
Quote from: turbotrav;412284
The stock AOD behind the 86-88 SO 5.0 tbird/cougar isnt the best...can be upgraded.  With a shift kit...it may live.  The input shafts are weak. I always read manually shifting a stock AOD is a no no...

Anyways to the OP...if you go head with all of your planned mods...ie heads, intake, tb, injectors, maf/eec upgrade, fuel pump...the extra cost and time of installing a shift kit shouldnt be that big of a deal :)

Good luck,

Travis

Only if you do the 1-D-1 shuffle, which is what most will do...

If you start in 1st it's OK to shift to drive, pause for a couple seconds then pull back to 1st to hold 2nd, just don't do it too quickly...

Besides the shift kit, I modified my valve body to only shift to 2nd in the D position, it's a old Lentech mod that came out before they started selling reworked valve bodies... I dunno if it's avail on the net, I may have a copy somewhere, have to check... Only bad is there is no way to hold Drive(3rd) other than WOT but with 3.73 gears it's never been a issue... If you go Trans-Go Kit, there is a modified 3-4 shift valve that allows O/D at WOT, DO NOT install it with above modification...

Jegs, Summit, ebay, etc have all the shift kits you'd ever want... Lentech, Performance Automatic and others will sell you a modified VB that's a bolt in...

Talking cylinder heads.

Reply #36
If I change my rear end to a different ratio will that help any? I mean the trans has only 60,000 miles on it so
It should be in good condition. I have never done any trans work before so I'd have a shop put in a shift kit

Talking cylinder heads.

Reply #37
I am building an 88 TBird with a 393" and aod. But I am NOT using efi but rather a tried and true 750dp.  If no cam has been bought yet, the B cam with 1.7 rockers works well in the 302 / 5.0 engines and P heads, and you still have your vacuum for brakes and a/c. That is the combo coming out of my car.

Talking cylinder heads.

Reply #38
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;412324
Only if you do the 1-D-1 shuffle, which is what most will do...

If you start in 1st it's OK to shift to drive, pause for a couple seconds then pull back to 1st to hold 2nd, just don't do it too quickly...

Besides the shift kit, I modified my valve body to only shift to 2nd in the D position, it's a old Lentech mod that came out before they started selling reworked valve bodies... I dunno if it's avail on the net, I may have a copy somewhere, have to check... Only bad is there is no way to hold Drive(3rd) other than WOT but with 3.73 gears it's never been a issue... If you go Trans-Go Kit, there is a modified 3-4 shift valve that allows O/D at WOT, DO NOT install it with above modification...

Jegs, Summit, ebay, etc have all the shift kits you'd ever want... Lentech, Performance Automatic and others will sell you a modified VB that's a bolt in...

I've doen that valve body mod to my AOD as well. It's called the epoxy mod. I've got 3.73 gears as well and I've never had a problem with the trans hunting between 3rd and 4th. I think it's a worth while mod if you're keeping an AOD.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Talking cylinder heads.

Reply #39
Hey OP

This is a pretty good thread....how much $$ do u want to spend.

Any progress....

Travis

Talking cylinder heads.

Reply #40
Here's where I am at.

Did a full HO swap with a motor from a '88 Mustang GT that already had aftermarket shorties on it($260).  Installed an Explorer upper and lower intake ($80).  Then I traded a nitrous kit (worth $250) for a BBK H-pipe, Edelbrock 70mm TB, EGR plate, BBK FPR and gauge.  I also converted the car to MAF for about $150.  With this and a T5 I have a super fun driver.  All I have planned to do yet is a set of P heads to match the intake and maybe 1.7 rockers.  I'll lap the valves and maybe a DIY P&P job.  After that I'm done.  It will pick up some more hp/tq yet still be all stock-ish Ford parts that can be fixed or replaced from any parts store when roadtripping it.

At the track w/ launching too low and shifting too late (was used to driving my 351W Ranger) it still managed 98.5mph and 14.05.  It's easily capable of 13.60 in the current configuration.  Then two weeks ago we took the 'bird on a couple hundred mile trip with two adults and three kids in the backseat.  It averaged 24mpg.  To me, that's hard to beat for a car I have less than $3k in including the purchase price and all the mods......motor, brakes, suspension, T5, complete fuel system, etc, etc!
1988 T-Bird Sport Coupe--5.0 HO, MAF swap, 1-5/8" shorties, BBK/Flowmaster exhaust, Explorer intake, 70mm Edelbrock TB, T5, B&M short throw, Centerforce clutch and PP, disc brake TC rear w/ 3.55's, TC front brakes, '98 Cobra springs, DIY SFC's, other misc .  14.05 @ 98mph with launching too low and shifting too high.

Talking cylinder heads.

Reply #42
Thanks.  If it goes 13.50 in the current set up I think I may not touch anything...even if it doesn't I'm ok with that.  There is a lot of stuff I'd like to do but it is such a comfortable and reliable cruiser that I'm having a hard time justifying it.  With the 245/60 rear tire and 3.55's the speedo is dead on.  At 65mph the tach is just under 2K.  Shorter gears would be nice at the track but would suck on the highway.  Taller gears (3.27's) would be great on the highway but would drag first gear out too long around town.

IMO...it turned out to be a great budget "medium quick" sleeper.  With the all forged motor I could hit it with spray and make it quicker without harming its street friendly nature.
1988 T-Bird Sport Coupe--5.0 HO, MAF swap, 1-5/8" shorties, BBK/Flowmaster exhaust, Explorer intake, 70mm Edelbrock TB, T5, B&M short throw, Centerforce clutch and PP, disc brake TC rear w/ 3.55's, TC front brakes, '98 Cobra springs, DIY SFC's, other misc .  14.05 @ 98mph with launching too low and shifting too high.

Talking cylinder heads.

Reply #43
Quote from: thunderjet302;413542
I've doen that valve body mod to my AOD as well. It's called the epoxy mod. I've got 3.73 gears as well and I've never had a problem with the trans hunting between 3rd and 4th. I think it's a worth while mod if you're keeping an AOD.

I'm interested in the details of the "epoxy mod". Where can I find more info on it?

Talking cylinder heads.

Reply #44
Quote from: 1987tbird5.0;423862
I'm interested in the details of the "epoxy mod". Where can I find more info on it?

I didn't do it myself. The guy who built my trans did it for me. You can find info on it here in post #47: http://www.clickclickracing.com/forums/showthread.php?2817-AOD-1-2-3-4-Shift-Pattern-(EPOXY-Mod)/page5

Here are the pictures of what to do: http://s93.photobucket.com/user/silverfoxbody/library/SILVERFOX%20TRANSMISSION/EPOXY%20MOD/#/user/silverfoxbody/library/SILVERFOX%20TRANSMISSION/EPOXY%20MOD?sort=3&page=1&_suid=138307637006502951552424376907
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.