Skip to main content
Topic: tbird resto project (Read 983 times) previous topic - next topic

tbird resto project

i ran into a chunk of money and thought i might add my 2 cents worth of help. i recently just bbk short headers for 351w mustang swap and they droopped right in i did have to take out the steering shaft and put it back in but everything cleared so far im just waiting to put the colectors on. also i bought a champion cowl induction hood. itseems tobe good quality it will be painted  wednesday. and i bought a set of procar seats out of summit there all black you can find them online in the mustang rcing seat option. they wont bolt directly in but im working on making them fit onto my power seat frame but i will tell you if you got the money to spend buy them they are good comfy racing seats and just for my own personal pleasure i bought i set of eletric exhaust cut out to be intsalled tomorrow i will post pciks when everything is done.

tbird resto project

Reply #1
Sounds like you're on your way to having fun...my only gripe about a 351w in a bird/cougar(at least the 87-88's) is that the passenger side header  near touches an a/c line...although mine didn't work anyway so it was a non-issue for me.  What do you have done to the 351w?

Good luck,
Don
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Parted & Gone-'88 T-bird Sport, 351W swap, ported GT40 heads

tbird resto project

Reply #2
i had no problem with it touching my ac the problem i was having is the old headers would rub in the sterring shaft but the windsors got 10 1/2 compression, port and polished 1970 windsor heads ( im told there the best stock heads for the motor but i dont know) its got a edlebrock perfomer intake with a edlebrock 750 carb. a mild comp cam  and the crank is turned ten degrees. but yeh i just got the cutouts put wired and put on today. by far the coolest to on the car lol

tbird resto project

Reply #3
Sounds good, a lot of people swear that D0VE(or D0OE) heads are like the best factory windsor head in existence...they're just 1.84/1.54" valves, maybe the chamber has a different shape or something, but I always run GT-40 iron heads with 1.84/1.54" valves and they are nasty with the right porting package.  Have you had this motor up and running in this car?  High compression is sweet...my buddy's old maverick with a 306 and 10:1 compression with junky stock '74 smog heads was nasty all the way up to the 5700rpm limiter...added compression really seems to make the motor that much more crisp.

Good luck,
Don
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

tbird resto project

Reply #4
yeah the windsor been in the car for about 8500 miles with no problems i wish i had the moeny for alumium heads heads but there pretty pricey

tbird resto project

Reply #5
A well worked set of cast iron heads can run just as good if not better than many street type aluminum heads...my 351w is a monster with ported GT40 irons and a mild cam with only 9.2:1 c/r...and it's not even all dialed in yet...I could only imagine what it would feel like with another point of compression! 

Good luck,
Don

tbird resto project

Reply #6
The C9OE or DOOE 351W heads are the best early factory heads. The GT40 heads are also a good choice. If you put 1.94 and 1.6 valves in the early heads and port them they perform very well. 10:1 compression is easy to get with flat top pistons and either of these heads.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
86 T-Bird V6 C5
91 F-150 5.0L 5spd
93 Mustang LX 351C C4
2013 Honda CRV AWD

tbird resto project

Reply #7
I had a set of C90Es that I had 2.02s and hardend seats installed. I gasket matched them and did a mild blending/porting on them. They were on 69'  351W bored .030 over with a stout cam. The comp was 10.5 and I had it sitting in a 82' F150 SWB 4X4.

:burnout:LOVED IT!!

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]