Skip to main content
Topic: engine mounts (Read 4515 times) previous topic - next topic

engine mounts

if i was going to drop in a 5.0 HO into a 5.0 SO car, im sure the stock (liquid?) SO mounts will work without modification. from what i hear the stock stang ones wont work without modification. so i figured i should just buy some new SO mounts. that would be the easiest.

okay, assuming im right thats what ill do, but i have a few questions.

1, are the stock stang mounts so much better or worth moding for use?

2, would i notice a big enough differance with the use of solid or poly mounts?

3, anybody make em for our car or will they need to be moded too?

just looking for your  :2c:
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Re: engine mounts

Reply #1
The Mustang mounts won't work period and the only way you can make them work is to swap the entire K-Member for one from a Mustang or pre '86 Thunderbird. I run solid rubber replacement mounts on my car and have no complaints. The hydraulic filled units are pr0ne to failure.

Reply #2
huhmmm,
thanks man, :bowdown:
whered you get the solid rubber ones for our k member?
i can get the stang k member with the motor if i need it...would it be worth it or would i be opening a can of worms here? :dunno:

~John~

Reply #3
If you have an entire donor car, you should be able to drop the engine, trans, and k-member as one piece and roll it around.

Reply #4
is the stank k member or the mounts worth the trouble of doing that though?

~John~

Reply #5
I'm not sure, but I believe all the  Tbird type aftermarket replacements are solid(cept probably the dealers). I've been using the Tbird mounts for 5 years no prob yet, and I have at least 275/300 drag strip passes on mine. They came from a local supplier(don't remember the brand), but most folkes say the NAPA ones are good.

If I ever get the 406 built, I will prob switch to the Mustang/early Bird K-member though.

Reply #6
cool, how much were they?

~John~

Reply #7
useing the mustang k member and mounts also free's up some room, and lowers the engine.

Reply #8
I have the rubber mounts, and I seem to have alot of movement in the engine when I shift.  The trans is a manual.  I don't know if I tore one on a rough shift.  But ever since I put it together, with new solid mounts, I was unhappy with all the movement in the engine.  If you have the opportunity, swap to a Mustang K member.  It is going to be a real pain for me to do it now.
1988 Thunderbird
5.0 HO, t5, TC rear, TC brakes, etc. - Gone

Reply #9
i checked all of the parts stores around here...nobodys got solid mounts for the V8 tbird...any tbird. they all only have the hydrolic ones....

~John~

Reply #10
check Napa...........  napaonline.com lists solid and liquid filled

Reply #11
cool...there they are the solid ones are actually cheeper. so these are actually better huh?

~John~

Reply #12
John: Here http://www.mn12performance.com/mn12parts/em.htm are the ones I've got in my car the "EM100". They work fine.
Rick
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1988 T/C body with a 5.0 transplant. Motor has a Vortech V-2 supercharger, Edlebrock Performer RPM II intake, heads, FRPP F-303 cam, Comp Cams roller rockers, Power Pipe, LMAF, full Mac exhaust, lowered, Koni's, 5 lug conversion, Cobra wheels, 13" Cobra brakes, etc.
SOLD September 2020. Will miss this car after 19 years of building/driving/showing it off. Time for a new chapter in my life.
Dynoed 446 horse/409 torque at the wheels.
2003 Tenth Anniversary Cobra Convertible. 1 of 369 Torch Red made.
2021 Chevrolet 3500 dually, crew cab Duramax.

Reply #13
thanks i think im just going to go with the solid ones then...although ill have the mustang k member available...it doesnt realy seem worth swaping that sucka. the solid mounts seem to fit the bill. thanks again....john

~John~

Reply #14
as I pulled the stock 302 out of my xr-7, both motor mounts were so shot they came apart into 2 pieces. The only sign I had that they were bad was I full throttled it one time from 30 mph to 70 mph and I tore a heater core hose off of the firewall. I put all new hoses on it and never had a problem with it, rode nice and smooth, no dents in the hood,etc.  I put the coincidence of two bad motor mounts and a broken hose together after I pulled the motor and saw the condition they were in.

I bought solid rubber ones from Napa, and also installing a polyurethane transmission mount to go with them.