Skip to main content
Topic: ignition help needed (Read 2115 times) previous topic - next topic

ignition help needed

i was wondering if anyone could help with a problem i have... here it goes...i recently put a 351w into my 85 cougar but now i can't figure out how to wire in the durasparkII ignition, i guess a wiring diagram would help but where would i find one for a project like this. I hate electrical stuff (color blind). someone please help.
THERE'S NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT!!
1994 ford cough aerostar cough :shakehead
1985 mercury cougar 5.8 fmx 3 speed 4.10s in progress :welder:

Re: ignition help needed

Reply #1
My advice is to use the duraspark distributor in conjunction with an msd box. Then take that duraspark box and drop kick it as far as that piece of junk will go. The stock boxes are just not up to anything high performance. period. That and once the motorcraft unit goes out, if you have to go with a wells or gpsorenson or some garbage like that, you will be replacing it constantly.

Don't be scared of wiring up an MSD(or other box of choice), it is extrememly simple to wire up. O.K. done being a salesman now, go get a good ignition box lol

Reply #2
By the way, they stock distributor will be fine for most street applications so I would just keep it on there.

Reply #3
thanks for replying but is still don't know what wires i need and what wires i can tear out. the 351 is carb fed by the way...
THERE'S NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT!!
1994 ford cough aerostar cough :shakehead
1985 mercury cougar 5.8 fmx 3 speed 4.10s in progress :welder:

Reply #4
I don't have any way to scan one, but there should be some online digrams somewhere. Do a Yahoo or Google search...

Reply #6
here is one I found....
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #7
amen to fordfox and what you deal with after the oem part goes bad!!!