Skip to main content
Topic: 87-88 thunderbird turbo coupe (Read 1857 times) previous topic - next topic

87-88 thunderbird turbo coupe

Reply #15
yah but thats not up to me its up to my mom and since she wont let me get another car this is the best option also you cant beat the weight difference unless i took out the interior but if i did it to my car now it still wouldnt make a difference.

Reply #16
Well unless your racing the weight diff isnt that big a deal. And your mom said she wont let you get another car, yet your buying a tc??? Mustangs are a dime a dozen man
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

Reply #17
Quote from: 20thanniver-ls;274182
Well unless your racing the weight diff isnt that big a deal. And your mom said she wont let you get another car, yet your buying a tc??? Mustangs are a dime a dozen man

So are tc's with over 150,000 miles. I did a quote and insurance is higher for the tc then a mustang. And the weight would be pretty close. If you like the mustang, then swap it all out and possibly ruin, break, and re buy parts that already work fine in the other car. It almost a downgrade to put them in a mustang. I'll bet the weight would be within 100# of a similiarly optioned mustang. And the tc has a slightly more favorable front to rear ratio. But you can still buy ANY part for your mustang, minus the turbo coupe stuff you plan on putting into it. Unless you spend some money on the lil 4 banger, your still probably gonna be slower then a 5.0. Especially if you factor in that it has less torque, horsepower, and you have to wait for it to get into boost. It will be faster then a 5.0 definately after thinking about it logically.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #18
well i bought it this morning its not worth saving it was on the beach its whole life so rust is every were but it runs great and pull well except for the clutch slipping it also wasnt an 87 like he said its an 86 but im still looking at making it work.

Reply #20
Heh, thats better looking than 95% of ohio finds...

I bought an 20th anniversary cougar site unseen for $200. I couldn't even jack it up it was so rusty. I tried a few places and it sounded like slowly stepping on a pile of roaches.

CoogarXR
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

Reply #21
Do a search on here and at turboford. You should find everyhing you need between the two sites.
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.

Reply #22
belive me it looks better in the pix.

Reply #23
Cool.  Of course that won't have the 8.8 with discs. Or the intercooler. Or the good computer. It does have the better turbo though.
On the upside, it looks like you found a new home on the internet where you can hang out with a bunch of other people who have no respect for the turbocoupe.  Have a nice time.
88 TC 5speed, 168000+ miles, stock 2.3T long block, ported RFE6 exhaust, Evergreen T3 running 15#'s.
Up next: FMIC, fresh air intake, ported intakes, ported big valve head.

Reply #24
Quote from: jangus;274323
Cool.  Of course that won't have the 8.8 with discs. Or the intercooler. Or the good computer. It does have the better turbo though.
On the upside, it looks like you found a new home on the internet where you can hang out with a bunch of other people who have no respect for the turbocoupe.  Have a nice time.

X2, I still say keep the tc as it is. More pics would prove me wrong, but it looks like a pretty decent car from what you have shown, but i can already see there is no persuading you, cuz you're a mustang guy. Sell the 'stang, fix the tc. Have fun tearing it up:toilet:
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

Reply #25
Where is all this rust?

Give me the roller since it isnt worth saving.
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #26
The turbo coupe in those pics look miles better than the mustang. It'd say he's going backwards.

Reply #27
That's a pretty sweet park bench in the background.:pbb:
84 TC 302 -5.0L/t5/7.5 locking rear and a 3.45 gear, Edelbrock Intake, Aluminum Heads, Edlebrock 65mm Throttlebody, Edlebrock Cam, 24lb injectors & MAS Air Sensor calibrated via chip,  BBK headers, Catback H pipe, Magnaflow lers :evilgrin:
:pics-stfu:

Project Thread with pics

Reply #28
x3...Good, you got your car now go away.

Reply #29
I can respect the fact that he wants to do a i-4 instead of dumping it for a 5.0, but, That car is in great shape compared to the ones I have been driving.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.