Skip to main content
Topic: New job (Read 3607 times) previous topic - next topic

New job

I'm not your dealership guy on the board any longer.  I just wrapped up my first week at a new job for an independent, and boy have I got some catching up to do!  Still, I think I got lucky with this job,  my very first job (first day) was the bosses 06 Mercury Milan (V6) on which I ended up doing an engine pull to replace the rear main, front seal and to remove and reseal the bed plate.  No pressure!  At least it was a Ford, which made me a little more comfortable, even though everything after pretty much wasn't.  No matter which way you look at it, it's a paradigm shift from doing Electrical and AC at a Ford dealer.

New job

Reply #2
wow, I cant imagine pulling one of those motors!!!  good luck and  hope there is more money in it for you!

I just started with National Power Corp in june,  nothing new here.. same hat different Tshirt

New job

Reply #3
Welcome to the trenches.
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

New job

Reply #4
Good luck buddy. I hope it all works out for you!
...and there was light!

New job

Reply #5
Good luck to you.  Changing jobs are always scary and delightful at the same time.

Go Fast the first time.  The tickets the same.
86 Thunderbird 5.0.  All original good weather driver. Tbird Reg #53035
86 Thunderbird TC.  All original good weather driver.  Tbird Reg # 58555
87 Thunderbird TC.  All original good weather daily driver.  Tbird Reg # 64647

New job

Reply #7
How's the job going sir?
...and there was light!

New job

Reply #9
I'm glad it's working for you man! Manual garage doors, oh the horror!!!! :burnwithfire:
...and there was light!

New job

Reply #11
All jokes aside, our doors are automatic (you pull onto a sensor and the door automatically opens). I'm completely spoiled by them and would not look forward to manual doors lol. Once again first world problems haha
...and there was light!

New job

Reply #12
Yeah, and also, when we sell a job we don't charge for diag.  That one hurts.  At Ford, diag accounted for 20 to 30% of my flat-rate hours.  So today, I had an hour diag for p0340 on an 09 Saturn Vue Hybrid.  Turns out to be a bad intake cam sensor.  Diag: 1.0 hours; repair, .3 hours.  Guess which we charged the customer.  "But you're supposed to upsell maintenance and timing belts to make up for it"  Great, and if they don't need or don't buy?  Yesterday I had an 01 Expedition that wouldn't idle until you tapped the IAC with a screwdriver handle, drivability diag - 1.0 hours; R&R IAC - .6 hours.  Guess which I got paid.

Thing is, I understand why they do that.  All I really want is to not make less on a job than diag.  I don't want to have to cheat the time I quote to the advisor in order to keep from being hosed,  I don't want to submit an estimate for a repair that's less than diag while hoping they decline it so I get diag and make more money from them walking out with a diag instead of a repair.  If diag pays more than the repair, I want to be paid the diag instead of the repair.  The cam sensor took 5 minutes to change, clear codes, and verify counts, I would have done it free if I could have been paid diag.  The IAC took 20 minutes to swap out and verify, but it took 30 seconds to diagnose.  I would have rather been paid for the diag than the repair.  I'm just saying.  If the boss wants to give his money back to the customer, then he totally should, but who is he to give MY money away?  Wells Fargo holds the note on my mortgage, and they don't care if I'm getting screwed out of 20 to 30% of my pay, Consumers credit union holds the note on my wife's car, they don't care either.  Neither does Comcast, Consumer's Energy, DTE, T-mobile, my dentist, or The Grand Rapids Press.  I've got responsibilities, and I can't afford to work for free 20+% of the time.  [/rant]

New job

Reply #13
I imagine a different business model myself.  I have never agreed with how mechanic work is sorted out and paid.  most places have their issues and I hear some of the oddest stories that it makes me feel bad for even going to a so called organized shop.

my business model would be like nothing ever seen before.... no I would not get rich but as the owner I would make a lot of money,,