Skip to main content
Topic: Injector Swap? (Read 1489 times) previous topic - next topic

Injector Swap?

Once I can buy heads, I'll be able to get my car back on the road, but before I can get there, I've hit a snag that might seem pretty obvious.  With GT40Y heads, an Explorer upper an lower, headers, a TFS stage 1 cam @-4, and 10:1 compression, I'm set up for 340 to 350 HP and by the maths, 19#/hr injectors are not going to cut it.  In order to avoid buying injectors twice (I plan on better heads in a couple years) I'm shopping for 36# units.  I'm aware that higher rate injectors won't play nice with my stock HO PCM calibration, so how cheap can I go with the intermediary solution, and still have higher rate injectors run nice and do their job?
  • Moates Quarterhorse
  • TwEECer
  • I'm pretty sure I don't have the money or time for MegaSquirt.
Or maybe something burned for me (though I don't know of anyone still doing that)? 

Anybody here worked with the TwEECer, or the Moates Quarterhorse?

Also, I'm pretty committed to staying with Speed Density, for both cost AND performance.  If you're planning to tell me to go MAF conversion and run a calibrated meter, you should make a really good case for it or don't bother.

Injector Swap?

Reply #1
I see nothing wrong with 36#ers.

my plans are to stay sd as long as its not cost prohibitive. I'm going junkyard parts and seeing if i can get away with 18#ers, but 24's are easy enough to find.

I really don't know much about.chips, but cant.you get a cheap j-2 port chip for the fuel injectors and be done with it?
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Injector Swap?

Reply #2
Running 42 lb/hr injectors with an A9L and an SCT chip on my Coupe with 335 rwhp on a Mustang Dyno and the throttle response down low is excellent.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Injector Swap?

Reply #3
From my experience it will be harder to tune a SD car with QH and binary editor....that software has a neat tuning feature with MAF setup cars.

Megasquirt has a great tuning software and is SD...but more $$...

Both systems need a wideband for proper tuning yourself.

Travis

Both solutions have good support.  If u are only going to mod to this point....I.e. no future mods then QH setup maybe better.  If u have more mods in your future and don't want to go MAF then Megasquirt maybe better long term solution

Injector Swap?

Reply #4
I am not sure i would ever consider going higher than 21lb injectors on an SD EEC, but you might find that stepping up to 21lb may be rich enough yet lean enough to work well, coupled with an adjustable fpr.  add in a different pn o2 sensor if required.

i think 24lb would be very worse case you could ever sneak in under an SD EEC.  Although your more educated than i am in this topic, i to am interested in the max injector that the stock ho sd eec can handle.  so far my opinions are based on no testing, just other peoples success or horror stories.

a 34lb injector guy on a SD HO eec, ho cam, FR heads, bbk shorties,  reports back with ***GREAT POWER,, but when i step on the gas it lags then it kicks in like i just dumped the clutch... later he reports the odd look of his bearings because he heard a tapping noise.

i kinda wish bondocougar was still around, he could figure this out...
humm,, looks like i wasted your time with my ramble,,LOL.

i have seen threads like this too often but no one measured the tailpipe or air to fuel ratio & performance results so the topic is mostly open book for these obsolete SD EEC's.... i may be wrong but i dont see a process driven buttstuffytical end result test done yet.

dont know if your interested or not but keeping your 19lb's but adding an injector that you electronically pwm control that is placed upstream of the throttle body may work.. EEC wont see it, so it becomes a matter of how your 02 handles the added fuel. a single 34lb injector may close the delta your looking for ... and i now im sounding like an idiot to some people here.

i invision this larger injector using home grown signaling from a sensor + another tps perhaps gas pedal mounted like in semi's, ect.

Injector Swap?

Reply #5
Stuck with P heads for now if I want to drive the car this year, so 24's will work out just about right.  I still need to tune for it, so I'm still looking for advice on a good editor to use with a Quarterhorse.  Unless somebody wants to sell me a A9P, MAF and inlet tube for half what it's worth, then I might convert to MAF.

Injector Swap?

Reply #6
You can find used A9L's or A9P's for $75 to $100 on the various Mustang sites but you have to be quick and frequent the adds often.  I have bought (4) A9L's and all for $100 or less, (2) for my Coupe and (2) for my dad's 69 fastback so none for sale.

And you can find deals like this on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/75mm-Pro-Flow-MAF-and-24-Pound-Injectors-for-a-89-93-Mustang-5-0-/321406558899?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ad552e2b3&vxp=mtr

Might get this guy to part out the A9L and Mass Air conversion harness:

http://forums.corral.net/forums/electronics-entertainment/1718178-a9l-maf-air-box-hoses-harness.html

I would think that if you already have the 24 lb injectors that you could get the MAF EEC & calibrated MAF for $200 if you shop hard enough.  From there it is whatever it costs to swap from SD to MAF wiring wise.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Injector Swap?

Reply #7
I've got an A9T, from an '89 convertible...I've got no plans for it. Hit me up if you decide to stay with a Ford EEC...
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6