Skip to main content
Topic: WTF are they thinking about? (Read 1635 times) previous topic - next topic

WTF are they thinking about?

THIS
X
Is why Ford needs to sell THIS
X
(Taking on the world doesn't include the USA)
HERE
X

Except apparently Ford doesn't care that there's a market where they're not making any money. (Sorry for all the Mega Text, I'm just pissed off.)

Reply #1
A fairly well-equipped Colorado is going to be as expensive as a base Silverado that will tow more and have more power. And that's exactly why the Ranger was dropped in North America. I have a feeling Ford is sitting this one out, waiting to see what happens with Colorado sales 1-2 years in. Then if it's feasible, they'll do it because they'll have any production issues worked out by then, and they'll likely have a plant freed up to make it, thereby ensuring a decent profit. And it could probably be done rather swiftly too. But that is IF, and ONLY IF, the Colorado sells.

Right now it's Tacoma vs. Frontier and I really hate to see either one do well in a market that the Big Three typically dominated.

But kudos to GM for taking another stab at the market, this time with a (hopefully) better product.

Reply #2
I had 2 rangers, and IMHO, they're only good with a 2.3. As much gas as the 3.0 & 4.0 drank, you might as well get an F-150.
Current: 1986 Thunderbird, 105k 3.8/C5, 2 tone  Midnight Wine/Medium Taupe, wing windows, wire wheel covers.

Former: 1985 Cougar GS 115k Oxford White/Regatta Blue, 5.0, full console, 14" 8 hole aluminum T-Bird rims, Edelbrock valve covers.

Reply #3
The US has been dominated by large trucks with diesel engines for years. Outside of the US, the Hilux (Tacoma Diesel) is the number one truck but we get a watered down gas engine version here. I would have bought a small crew cab diesel truck years ago if they were available here. The Colorado and the new Nissan Titan have my full attention as of now. Full size power, compact truck, compact fuel economy, sounds like a great combo for me.

Reply #4
No one really buys small trucks except fleets. Ford/GM/Chrysler make money on full size trucks. Think about it. Pretty much every truck you see is a full size. I never see small pickups and if I do it's maybe one a day. Every other pickup I see is a full size. Heck a base full size pick up costs as much as a small pickup with some options. Most people use their truck as a family car. You can fit a family in a crew cab full size pickup. Not so much in a small/midsize truck.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #5
If Ford made something with more passenger room than a Ranger but smaller overall than an F-150 I'd be interested.  I was looking pretty hard at the Sport Trac here a few months ago, but in the end I just couldn't get over how ugly they are.  Obviously they didn't sell that great either since Ford dropped them, I think it was in 2011.  But again, speaking for myself, that would be a nice size.  I ended up buying an '05 F-150 Supercrew and I like it, but it is definitely larger than I need and the gas mileage and the maneuverability are obviously not great.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #6
Did you guys see the engine lineup in the new Colorado?  It is pretty impressive spec-wise.  I hope they sell like hot cakes so Ford will bring the Ranger back w/diesel power.

I had 2 rangers, and IMHO, they're only good with a 2.3. As much gas as the 3.0 & 4.0 drank, you might as well get an F-150.

I totally agree!!  The only time a Ranger made sense for me was regular cab, 2wd, 4 cylinder (had two of 'em, great little trucks).  30+ mpg and tough as nails!  Now that I'm married with children, there's no way a Ranger would work for me.  Hell my 1/2 ton Chevy extended cab doesn't really have enough room in it for the family.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #7
Quote from: 50tbrd88;424868
The only time a Ranger made sense for me was regular cab, 2wd, 4 cylinder (had two of 'em, great little trucks).  30+ mpg and tough as nails!
...and 5 speed manual :D
Current: 1986 Thunderbird, 105k 3.8/C5, 2 tone  Midnight Wine/Medium Taupe, wing windows, wire wheel covers.

Former: 1985 Cougar GS 115k Oxford White/Regatta Blue, 5.0, full console, 14" 8 hole aluminum T-Bird rims, Edelbrock valve covers.

Reply #8
...and 5 speed manual

Big 10-4 on that!  Both mine were 5 speeds.  I sold my last one to a guy I know thinking it was for him (gave it away).  He then gave it to his dad who has a bad drinking problem.  That truck has been through hell for the last 6 or 7 years and is still going.  I've seen it go by on the wrecker several times.  Not long after I sold it the transmission got destroyed.  Apparently a meth-head neighbor would wait for him to get drunk and pass out so she could "borrow" the truck.  I guess she wasn't very good with a stick...

Last time I saw it up close the entire bed looked as if someone took a hammer to it.  Hundreds of little quarter sized dents everywhere. I regret selling it to this day!
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube