Skip to main content
Topic: *update* - center console panel question - *update* (Read 21609 times) previous topic - next topic

*update* - center console panel question - *update*

I know I'm not the only one with a worn out center console panel.  And while I have a beautiful mint NIB queued for installation, the never ending mission creep on the car dictates I do something more.

I want a backlit panel so it's easier to see at night, and I've figured out a how to do it.  The problem is the problem of production, the way to do it economically depends on quantity.  Which brings up the question of how many?

Would you like a backlit center console panel, yes/no?

*update*

The instrument panel place dropped the ball. So I'm going with the  CNC shop I've been using.  They do great work and have been instrumental in getting the car done, engine parts, suspension parts, interior parts, everything's been top notch.  The only problem is they're running behind so it will be at least a month, I'm guessing, once they get the materials. 

There are lots of variables to confuse the issue - materials, machining, finish, mounting, lighting etc., so I'll try to keep it as simple as possible.  If you have any questions, let me know.

The minimum run is 10 units.  Cost for the initial run will be $50/unit.  Price drops to $40/unit after 20 units.

*update*

running count by design:

mirror and windows only - 2
one power seat - 2
two power seats - 6
other (be specific) - 1

Vinnie(1), Daminc(2), Kit Katz(1), Quietleaf(1), jkirchman,(2) 87tbirdmanjwg(1)
#1 (left): undergoing top-to-bottom rebuild     
#2 (right): DD, power everything (sorta)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #1
Yes,for dual power seats.............if the price isn't to prohibitive.I'm guessing a thin,clear replacement panel for the console plate with a black overlay,and then install some kind of light from the bottom to illuminate it. Am I close? Getting the holes cut just right is important. Also,the panel is recessed for the power mirror buttons.That could be tricky,but not impossible by any means. Let's run with it.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #2
That's one way.  At least one downside to that method is the overlay durability.  My source says that they last 1-2 years, ASSuming no deliberate damage is inflicted on them.

Right now I'm waiting on a bid from an aircraft panel mfgr.  Without a doubt it will be too much, but I'm going to ask anyway.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #3
Interesting idea.  Following this thread.
Mike

Reply #4
I'm thinking a clear film with a laser printed overlay may work to some degree too. My friend who does the vinyl lettering/graphics is looking into the laser printer for his graphics.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #5
I was thinking an overlay to replace the aluminum "insert" that is stuck to the console panel.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #6
How about making the panel from a slightly thicker piece of Lexan, paint the top black, then have the writing machined into it. When back-lit, the writing will glow.

Shiny Side Up!
Bill
"as if 'religion' were something God invented, and not His statement to us of certain quite unalterable facts about His own nature." -C.S. Lewis

Reply #7
That's what I'm talking about.

Reply #8
paint the bottom black and have it cnc'd from the bottom
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #9
Quote from: ProTouring442;317461
How about making the panel from a slightly thicker piece of Lexan, paint the top black, then have the writing machined into it. When back-lit, the writing will glow.

yup, that's one way

paint the bottom black and have it cnc'd from the bottom

yup, that's one way

I've asked about having the whole thing cnc'd from plastic.
I've asked about having the whole thing cnc'd from a plastic/metal laminate.
And there are a couple of others as well, e.g. painted/coated electroluminescent sheet.

The trick will be to do it economically.

****** also ******

It would be nice to have at least a pic of each layout.  How many combinations are there, 5? 6? 8? More?

windows, mirrors
windows, mirrors, DS seat
windows, mirrors, both seats
others?

Then there are the 'vert Cougar connversions, how many combinations are there of those?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #10
I would start with two designs,the most popular,which are the typical single and dual power seat panels.Then,if it works out,branch out from there.You have to tend to the masses first.The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

Reply #11
Quote from: vinnietbird;317501
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

Can't argue with that logic, Spock.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #12
I didn't know if you'd catch that little quote or not.LOL.Live long....and prosper.Now,get some pricing quotes.It'll have to be pretty thin and durable (I'm talking about the console inlay).

*update*

Reply #14
The instrument panel place dropped the ball. So I'm going with the CNC shop I've been using. They do great work and have been instrumental in getting the car done, engine parts, suspension parts, interior parts, everything's been top notch. The only problem is they're running behind so it will be at least a month, I'm guessing, once they get the materials.

There are lots of variables to confuse the issue - materials, machining, finish, mounting, lighting etc., so I'll try to keep it as simple as possible. If you have any questions, let me know.

The minimum run is 10 units. Cost for the initial run will be $50/unit. Price drops to $40/unit after 20 units.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]