My GTbird build

Reply #30
Intakes all ready to bolt on

Brian R.
88 2.3t Ranger
83 TC  gt40p motor,Vortech,TFS1 cam,long tubes,MS PnP,T5,8.8,17x9 Cobra 17s

My GTbird build

Reply #31
love it!  The black really sets off the red and the billet parts.

My GTbird build

Reply #32
Motor all done and primed. I converted the Ex 65mm TB to foxbody spec.  Car is up in air and I started stripping the front of car of suspension and the bumper cover. Im going to cut off the lower core support today and make the new one.

Brian R.
88 2.3t Ranger

My GTbird build

Reply #33
Quote from: deathbypsi;455447
[/URL]

What MAF is that?
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

My GTbird build

Reply #34
Its a stock 80mm off a 01 Cobra
Brian R.
88 2.3t Ranger

My GTbird build

Reply #35
Quote from: deathbypsi;455497
Its a stock 80mm off a 01 Cobra

Ah. You have a tuner for that correct? It's not plug and play.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

My GTbird build

Reply #36
No tuner needed. I will change the plug on the harness to match and I installed matching 24lb injectors. All good.
Brian R.
88 2.3t Ranger

My GTbird build

Reply #37
Quote from: deathbypsi;455504
No tuner needed. I will change the plug on the harness to match and I installed matching 24lb injectors. All good.

Uh no. Factory Ford MAFs (like the 2001 Cobra MAF you have) are NOT CALIBRATED FOR AN INJECTOR SIZE. The injector size and MAF transfer function are programmed into the computer. So to run 24lb injectors on a stock A9L/A9P computer without a tune you need an aftermarket MAF (i.e. C&L, Pro-M, PMAS) that is calibrated for the injector size. They do this by altering the voltage output of the MAF to trick the stock computer into delivering the appropriate amount of fuel.

To run the 2001 Cobra MAF and 24lb injectors you have you'll need a tuner. It's transfer function is off and the car will not run correctly. Your best bet is to purchase an aftermarket MAF calibrated for 24lb injectors to use in place of the 2001 Cobra MAF. Otherwise you'll need a tuner (i.e like a Quarterhorse) so you can program the transfer function from the 2001 Cobra MAF into the stock A9L/A9P and add the 24lb injector slopes. You need to tune to run the 2001 Cobra MAF or you need an aftermarket MAF calibrated for 24lb injectors. There is no other way.

My GTbird build

Reply #38
Well Im glad you said something because the guy who explained it to me was wrong apparently. I been out of the 5.0 stuff so long playing with my 2.3t junk Im way out of the loop.  Im going to call Pro-M in the morning about their recalibration service on the meter I have. Im not paying anyone to tune it or buying anything other than a Pimp if this don't work.
Brian R.
88 2.3t Ranger

My GTbird build

Reply #39
I use the X3Z '93 Cobra computer. It's calibrated for 24# injectors.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

My GTbird build

Reply #40
Quote from: vinnietbird;455514
I use the X3Z '93 Cobra computer. It's calibrated for 24# injectors.

That is another option. He would also need a 93 Cobra MAF for it to work correctly.

My GTbird build

Reply #41
I called Pro-M today to see about recalibrating the 80mm. They charge $150 to calibrate anybody's meters but they said the Ford 80mm have major drivability issues with open filters on them when they have done them. So for only $50 more I just ordered one of their 75mm Bullet meters they will calibrate for my setup.

Those Cobra ecm's I seen for sale would cost me double what I paid for the new meter.
Brian R.
88 2.3t Ranger

My GTbird build

Reply #42
Well that will work too.

Better you found out now than after you started the car and were trying to figure out why it ran like garbage ;)

My GTbird build

Reply #43
I run a 2001 Mustang GT 80mm MAF with conical air filter in the inner fender via a BBK cold air kit with zero issues.  This is using an A9L and 42 lb/hr injectors with a dyno tuned SCT chip.

I previously ran a 75mm Pro-M Bullet MAF with 24 lb/hr injectors and it was a really good setup until I hit about 275 rwhp and that was the limit of the 24 lb injectors hence the change.

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

My GTbird build

Reply #44
Took advantage of the rain yesterday and suited up to go out and scrub the engine bay. Some degreaser and a brush got it looking better than I hoped for. Going to touch up some of the paint but not going for the full blown show car finish under the hood.

Just need to finish pulling the rest of the 2.3 harness now.

I also cleaned up and repainted the light bezels. They turned out great I think.

Goin to try and get bumper cover off today if the rain lets up and then cut off the damaged core support so I can get new one made. Anyone have any tips for removing the front bumper cover?
Brian R.
88 2.3t Ranger