Skip to main content
Topic: linksys router and port information (Read 6245 times) previous topic - next topic

linksys router and port information

is there a way i can drill into each port on my linksys 4port router and look at which port is consuming the most bandwidth?

We have hughesnet (the middle plan) which works really great for my options are none but dialup.
I get 1.5MG down steady and a not so steady but average 350kb up.

what we want to know in our house is which computer is doing something that consumes our daily limit of 500mg before we are throttled back to 56k daily.

we get 500mg down per day max and must wait a 24hour period before it is reset.

I have told everyone to have larger files and auto updates set for 2am-6am because there is no limit during this FAP time frame. 

any ideas on the router, i dont have time to manage individual pc's, we have 6 here but typically three desk tops and one laptop on at a given time.
we are all wired to the router, very rarely wifi.

we have no security settings on the wifi, the ip is the standard 192.xxxxxxxxxx IP and default gateway/mask.
I provisioned nothing in the unit, just turned it on and it worked.
This information should help avoid any super technical aspect questions back.
all pc's TCP/IP are set to auto detect the network.

thanks, i really appreciate it,
scott

Reply #1
Can anyone be in range of the WIFI? Check the routers client list in setup. Maybe one of the computers is compromised? Do scans on all of them with malware bytes or something similar. 500MB can go real quick if your streaming any video,  You have teenage sons right LOL? Could be videos or how about online gaming? Also with 6 PCs the single share of 83 MB a day per box is not a lot after normal use and possible updates and whatnot.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #2
our link sys isnt wide range, besides we are not located in such a way anyone could get on our wifi without us seeing a car in the drive.  its hard to do that when you live on the dead end of a gravel driveway up the side of a mountain.

Yes, got two boys, and they do homeschool.
i can see daily useage (in bulk on my ISP's customer care site) and as an example, last night during the "free" download time, Chance downloaded about 3gb of updates and one was having to do with gaming for "steam" , whatever that is.  I cant see individual port activity and thats what i am after.

I can see huge data coming in during normal days (in bulk), we usually use about 200MB a day , this includes my work and thier school plus a once in a while utube ect but not too often.

I just want to see if linksys has a logging feature or something like that.

Reply #3
Under the application and gaming tab you can set priortitys of bandwith usage for different devices such as xbox or a certin computer that you want to utlize more bandwith so lets say that you are using your xbox to stream a movie or playing a game on line to give the xbox more of the band with to accomidate for the streaming unit but I dont think that you can monitor how much bandwith each device is using from the router
87 TC
HO Swap, T5 Swap, Mach Springs, CHE Upper and Lower control arms, Mach Chin spoiler, soon to be Procharged.

:evilgrin: Nitrous is like a hot chick with an STD you want to hit it but are scared of the consequences. :evilgrin:

Reply #4
as far as the linksys haveing a login if you know what the IP of the router is you can simply put the IP address into internet explorer and it will bring you to the lynksys page for your router usually you no one has messed with the login the user name is Administrator and the pass is admin usually by defalt your router IP will be like 192.168.1.1 go to the dos prompt and do an ipconfig and see what IP the router is giving your computer the IP address of the router will probably be the same first 3 numbers and the last will be 1
87 TC
HO Swap, T5 Swap, Mach Springs, CHE Upper and Lower control arms, Mach Chin spoiler, soon to be Procharged.

:evilgrin: Nitrous is like a hot chick with an STD you want to hit it but are scared of the consequences. :evilgrin:

Reply #5
Quote from: bigbada1;348905
as far as the linksys haveing a login if you know what the IP of the router is you can simply put the IP address into internet explorer and it will bring you to the lynksys page for your router usually you no one has messed with the login the user name is Administrator and the pass is admin usually by defalt your router IP will be like 192.168.1.1 go to the dos prompt and do an ipconfig and see what IP the router is giving your computer the IP address of the router will probably be the same first 3 numbers and the last will be 1

your way off topic.

Reply #6
Sorry I thought you wanted to know how to login to your Router
87 TC

Reply #7
just installed PRTG network monitor and i think you need a training class to run it.
looks to do a lot along with SNMP but it appears its only monitoring the local host, cant seem to see the other 4 pc's statistics.

this is over my head, hunting down something else.

everyone here wants to know which pc is doing something they did not want it to do.  We think the problems are automatic updates but all our scheduled tasks are set to happen at 2am-6am during our fee no limit window.

is there a way to go to each machine and manually check the MB downloaded that day?

Reply #8
actualy loggin into the router he could see what pc/connection is doing what and limit that pc's access to sites and such so he was not off topic he just did not explain it right

Reply #9
Quote from: jcassity;349897
just installed PRTG network monitor and i think you need a training class to run it.
looks to do a lot along with SNMP but it appears its only monitoring the local host, cant seem to see the other 4 pc's statistics.

this is over my head, hunting down something else.

everyone here wants to know which pc is doing something they did not want it to do.  We think the problems are automatic updates but all our scheduled tasks are set to happen at 2am-6am during our fee no limit window.

is there a way to go to each machine and manually check the MB downloaded that day?

Yeah just install a network monitor on each pc, google it there a couple of free ones..  doing it centralized through the router would be easier to manage in the long run, but either way you'll find out who the hog is.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #10
You didn't specify which router model and version you have, nor did you specify which software version yours is running.  That being said, I am running a WRT-54G v2 and DD-WRT software, 2.4 (STD), if memory serves.  This software does allow external syslog functionality and traffic shaping. It also support access to near-time IP stats(30 sec delay).  You didn't specify of your PC's are all wired or wireless or a mixture, but I can tell you that if wireless, they all use the same port, which is likely to be useless for your purposes. AFAIK, the hardware does not allow for port mirroring, which would be necessary if attempting to monitor on of the switched ports.

I hope that this reply is both on topic and was of some sort of help.

~C

Reply #12
If you have a linksys router and you want to monitor bandwidth on a per client basis, forget about dd-wrt, get Tomato.  The real-time bandwidth monitor in tomato is boss. Nobody else can touch it.

Reply #13
I have heard good things about Tomato, though I have not used it myself yet.

Reply #14
one machine wireless
two machines wired

linksys model,, dono, 3 years old from walmart.
can get specs when i get home but either way, thought there was a common way to manage the ports or see which one hog and see if there is a trend such that i can tie it to auto updates ect.