Skip to main content
Topic: 5 lug swap front end (Read 1848 times) previous topic - next topic

5 lug swap front end

im doing a 5 lug swap on a 88 bird 5.0 on the site it says use a spindel from 89-93 and rotors from a mark vii  but on lmr they have rotors that are 11 inch also will they work they are for the mustang 5 lug swap  thx for the help

5 lug swap front end

Reply #1
LMR is correct IF you are going to the larger 11" front brakes. Your Tbird has the 10" front brakes unless it is a Turbo Coupe, which has the 11" front brakes but still 4 lug.

Mark 7 rotors are what you need if you are switching to 5 lug and swapping spindles to use the larger 11" front brakes.

If you want to take the easy route by not swapping spindles and keeping the 10" front brakes but still get 5 lug...
Then what you need is the 5 lug, 10 inch front rotors from a mid 80's to mid 90's Ford Ranger. Not sure on the years on the Rangers but I'd imagine from 1984 to 1992 would be a safe range.  I *think* the rotor's hat or offset is the same as the 4 lug 10" Tbird front rotor.  I'm almost certain but might want to verify that.

5 lug swap front end

Reply #2
Quote from: Vintage;468001
LMR is correct IF you are going to the larger 11" front brakes. Your Tbird has the 10" front brakes unless it is a Turbo Coupe, which has the 11" front brakes but still 4 lug.

Mark 7 rotors are what you need if you are switching to 5 lug and swapping spindles to use the larger 11" front brakes.

If you want to take the easy route by not swapping spindles and keeping the 10" front brakes but still get 5 lug...
Then what you need is the 5 lug, 10 inch front rotors from a mid 80's to mid 90's Ford Ranger. Not sure on the years on the Rangers but I'd imagine from 1984 to 1992 would be a safe range.  I *think* the rotor's hat or offset is the same as the 4 lug 10" Tbird front rotor.  I'm almost certain but might want to verify that.

So the 11 inch 5 lug won’t work that lmr sellwith the spindle? Only the Mark VII

5 lug swap front end

Reply #3
https://lmr.com/item/LRS-1102K/1987-93-Mustang-Front-Only-5-Lug-Conversion-Kit?utm_source=google-shopping&utm_medium=comparison-shopping&utm_campaign=google-shopping-v2&adpos=1o2&scid=scplpLRS-1102K&sc_intid=LRS-1102K&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI36jfl5XV3gIVCZNpCh1YMgfyEAQYAiABEgIqs_D_BwE

The above is a link to LMR's front only 5 lug conversion kit for 87-93 5.0 Mustangs. IF this is the same kit you are talking about, it includes a pair Mark 7 replacement rotors, regardless of whether LMR wants to identify them as that or not. Again, they ARE Mark 7 rotors.

What you are not asking about is whether you need to swap calipers also when you go from the 10" rotors to the 11" rotors. You do. Your smaller existing calipers will not work with the 11" rotors. So their kit is made to be a bolt on kit for 87-93 Mustang 5.0 that already have the larger calipers and 4 lug rotors..your Tbird will need additional parts like the 87-93 Mustang 5.0 spindles, calipers, brake pads, probably some brake line adapter fittings for both driver and passenger side, and your brake master cylinder may need to be upgraded for the larger capacity calipers.

Bottom line is, LMR caters to the Mustang crowd and knows the hardware on those cars, but I doubt they have bolt on kits that have everything needed for a Tbird specific swap. Its up to you to make sure you've bought or gathered everything else that is required.

5 lug swap front end

Reply #4
If you're going to swap spindles, I'd just go ahead and grab some '94-95 Stang spindles (v6 or V8 are the same) and related hardware. Use the stock calipers for cores, get new ones. Replace the hub/bearing, and there ya go. You'll also need the brake adaptor fitting, it's a Weatherhead 7828, can be found at oreilly, autozone, etc.

You'll also need new flex hoses, match these to the caliper, not the car. When I did my 5 lug swap on the Mustang, I went with the '99 up dual piston PBR calipers. these also have their own specific flex hose, but all else stays the same as a regular 5 lug conversion. Might have to grind a little on the spindle where the caliper brackets bolt on, I didn't, but some folks have to.

The new calipers are the costliest bit. I wouldn't shag around with LMR, you can find all the stuff yourself from individuals or from picking through a salvage yard. Buy new calipers...don't ever use one from a wrecked car, or one that's sat for a long time.

This stuff is as common to me as putting on my socks...easy peasy. You WILL need an alignment after you take a strut off, but if you're careful and exact, you can get it really close. Let us know...
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

5 lug swap front end

Reply #5
V8 fox spindles and calipers + svo rotors or 94-95 setup. Im going with the fox setup for my cougar
88 Cougar
88 T-Bird
other cars that don't apply to this forum

5 lug swap front end

Reply #6
What I haven’t seen mentioned is, if you the mark 7 front rotors, is they tend to limit wheel choice as the hub is slightly larger and longer than fox or SN stuff. I used them at first but had to have a friend machine the wheels to fit them. I’ve since went with 2000 SN stuff to run 13”ers
Good luck with your swap

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

5 lug swap front end

Reply #7
Dug around on here and found some good threads for your reading pleasure:

https://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?40223

https://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?39565

https://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?32920

https://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?36678

I am thinking that after you read through these you will see that the better path is the SN95 route but that is just my opinion.

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

5 lug swap front end

Reply #8
I totally agree with Aerocoupe about the SN95 route.
When I did my 5 lug upgrade many years ago, I went the SN95 route knowing that parts in the future would be more readily available and more affordable as there are so many Mustangs on the road and a ton of aftermarket support for those cars compared to a Mark VII. Also, your wheel choices are greatly enhanced this way.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1988 T/C body with a 5.0 transplant. Motor has a Vortech V-2 supercharger, Edlebrock Performer RPM II intake, heads, FRPP F-303 cam, Comp Cams roller rockers, Power Pipe, LMAF, full Mac exhaust, lowered, Koni's, 5 lug conversion, Cobra wheels, 13" Cobra brakes, etc.
SOLD September 2020. Will miss this car after 19 years of building/driving/showing it off. Time for a new chapter in my life.
Dynoed 446 horse/409 torque at the wheels.
2003 Tenth Anniversary Cobra Convertible. 1 of 369 Torch Red made.
2021 Chevrolet 3500 dually, crew cab Duramax.