Skip to main content
Topic: CHE Performance Uppers/Lowers (Read 12816 times) previous topic - next topic

CHE Performance Uppers/Lowers

Okay, I've been keeping everyone in suspense for a few weeks now. It's time for the big reveal.

There are now full sets of uppers and lowers for the Cougar/Thunderbird chassis available from CHE Performance. The owner, Chuck, contacted me out of the blue in early November 2004 about making them. His dad has a Turbo Coupe, and CHE already makes uppers and lowers for Mustangs, so this cost nothing for engineering. All the specs are in par--or better--than the Maximum Motorsports lowers. But the best news is the price: we're talking around $200 U.S. for the complete SET.

I know your appetite is whetted now...check them out here:

http://www.cheperformance.com/cartgenie/prodInfo.asp?pid=77&cid=9

If you mention the promo code COOLCATS during checkout you will receive another 10% off your order. Right now there's a photo of my car, but he's putting photos of the actual arms here very soon.

Obviously this is one hell of a deal, and I have the honor of receiving the first set made here very soon. Of course I'll report my experience with them at that time, but from the looks of things we've got ourselves an excellent choice for suspension components now.

Please let me know your thoughts....we need feedback.
Thanks all, and Merry Christmas! ;)

Re: CHE Performance Uppers/Lowers

Reply #1
its both upper and lowers for 200?!
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #2
Waiting on your feedback Eric.

If you give the good word, I'll pick up a set real quick since I was planning on spending a ton more on this over the winter anyway.

Reply #3
Gee...it's a good thing his last name is different :p  I sell my 2.3T motor mounts under CWE Products ...

Anyway....they look about par for the course.  The bushings are interesting.  I wonder what durometer the poly is?  Decent price for a set of arms.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #4
How long before the price goes up to "normal" range again?

Reply #5
I'm pretty sure this is the normal price, Brian. He's given no indication that the pricing will go up. This is the real deal yo. And that is pricing for uppers AND lowers.

Reply #6
Quote from: EricCoolCats

Please let me know your thoughts....we need feedback.
Thanks all, and Merry Christmas! ;)

OK, sounds like a good deal. I do have a feedback question and a request.

1. I see that the poly/delrin bushing is supposed to have a low enough durometer polyurethane piece to prevent binding. It sounds like a good idea, I'm just curious how much testing/info is available showing that the binding forces are minimized by this design. This can be provided offline to me if wanted.

2. I was hoping to get a weight-jacker type of arm where the height of the car could be adjusted to allow for the 28" (275/60/15) tires I am using when I go to the track. I could also compensate for the characteristic sag in the rear. Actually a fixed height boost (3/4 - 1"?) may work to fix both situations - could a taller spring mount be added? This is kinda a big deal to me.

Is the sway bar mounted in the stock spot or is it a lot lower?
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

Reply #7
Quote from: Cougar5.0

2. I was hoping to get a weight-jacker type of arm where the height of the car could be adjusted to allow for the 28" (275/60/15) tires I am using when I go to the track. I could also compensate for the characteristic sag in the rear. Actually a fixed height boost (3/4 - 1"?) may work to fix both situations - could a taller spring mount be added? This is kinda a big deal to me.

I run 275 60 15's as a daily tire in good weather on my 85. If you were to run those on a track just in a straight line, they will not rub.

The only times I have problems are on bumpy roads and/or with people in the back. I put those coil spring twists out back and that solved the bump problem. Still can't put people in back though.

There's always these too http://maximummotorsports.com/rrha.asp Probably gonna put a set in my car.

Reply #8
Quote from: crystal
I run 275 60 15's as a daily tire in good weather on my 85. If you were to run those on a track just in a straight line, they will not rub.

The only times I have problems are on bumpy roads and/or with people in the back. I put those coil spring twists out back and that solved the bump problem. Still can't put people in back though.

There's always these too http://maximummotorsports.com/rrha.asp Probably gonna put a set in my car.

You are correct that they don't rub unless I hit a decent dip in the road. I'm not too comfortable having my soft-sidewall and expensive M/T drag radialshiznitting the fender lip under any cirspoogestances though. I do drive the 15 miles to the track and I sometimes leave the DR's on for a while between track appearances within a week's period (I'm lazy  :grinno: ).

I've seen those MM pieces but I gotta tell ya - for $139 I'd just as soon weld up my own permanent extensions onto the new control arms!!  :slap: Be even better to pay the CHE guy to do it for me though!  :)

Reply #9
I'm sure CHE could make them....one of the things I'm planning on asking once he delivers the initial set.

Reply #10
Quote from: Cougar5.0
You are correct that they don't rub unless I hit a decent dip in the road. I'm not too comfortable having my soft-sidewall and expensive M/T drag radialshiznitting the fender lip under any cirspoogestances though. I do drive the 15 miles to the track and I sometimes leave the DR's on for a while between track appearances within a week's period (I'm lazy  :grinno: ).

I've seen those MM pieces but I gotta tell ya - for $139 I'd just as soon weld up my own permanent extensions onto the new control arms!!  :slap: Be even better to pay the CHE guy to do it for me though!  :)

Cool, just didn't know if you'd done it already or not and figured I'd hand off the info I had

Reply #11
Let me know how they work for you and definatly work on getting adjustables available!

1987 cougar XR7 347 stroker FRP BOSS block 328rwhp 10.89 1/4mile @126mph ..so far..

2005 F150 5.4 vortec supercharged @15psi water methenol injected 450rwhp 14.0@98mph on 22's

Reply #12
Quote from: crystal
Cool, just didn't know if you'd done it already or not and figured I'd hand off the info I had

Yes, much appreciated :) - I was a bit surprised that someone else had experience with this tire size. I am actually considering getting a set of street tires in the 28" diameter for the rear because I really like the way the car drives (less vibration) on the highway (I have 3.73:1 gears).

Eric - I'm looking forward to your future posts on this subject!  :D

Reply #13
Sounds like a good price but unfortunatly I am almost done building my own. Mine have sherical bearings on both ends. I made the connecting tubes 1.5" with .25" wall thickness. I basically replicated these.  I have solidworks model and prints for everything. http://www.bmrfabrication.com/Mustang.htm

Reply #14
I guess I shouldn't have bought those axle relocation brackets...maybe I can use them in conjunction.  I take it these are tubular stock replacments (thats how Im reading it, just looking for confirmation), and therefore dont change the perch at all?  Unlike the adjustable MM ones.