Skip to main content
Topic: Charcoal canister routing diagram (Read 747 times) previous topic - next topic

Charcoal canister routing diagram

Hello, does someone have a complete routing diagram of the charcoal canister on the 87 5.0? I’ve seen a few attempts on line that are not TBird specific. I think I know where some hoses go, but I can’t figure out what connects to one of the large ~1/2” outlets (there are two and one has a vent cap on it)? I suspect somewhere on the engine, but I didn’t get a complete car to start, so working with one hand tied behind my back. Thank you, Steve.

Re: Charcoal canister routing diagram

Reply #1
Don't have a diagram but its not complicated.  The outlet obviously goes via a fuel vapor rated hose to the intake manifold..more specifically to a fitting located at the underside of the upper intake plenum.  The fitting is on the center throat of the upper intake pointing forward towards the distributor cap.

From there, the hose routes between the distrib and intake on its way to the forward side of the passenger valvecover.  Here, the hose goes to a small, computer controlled, flow/interupt solenoid. Then, from this location behind the alternator, the hose continues down along the passenger framerail to the charcoal cannister.

Often, the hose will get brittle or fall apart due to age/heat at the intake fitting. I've seen a lot of rubber hose caps clamped over that fitting over the course of removing upper intakes from 5L Fords over the years.

Reply #2
Great, I think you’re describing the 3/8” purge line. What about that 1/2” outlet at the top? I can’t seem to find a diagram what conn3cts to it and where it routes?  Thank you, Steve.

Reply #3
Apologies, misread your post or was apparently half asleep.  They both had the mushroom-like caps on my 87 as I recall.  If your cannister is missing one of the caps, just do your best to not let water get into it until you can obtain a replacement cap.  The purge line I described earlier is the  only thing going to the engine from the cannister.

Reply #4
The "dust cap" is where the air gets sucked in when the canister is purged.  Most canisters have just 2 hoses. The vapor hose from the gas tank and the purge hose to the intake manifold. The purge goes through a Purge Control Valve that is controlled by the EEC.