Skip to main content
Topic: Pastel Desert Sand TC... (Read 1244 times) previous topic - next topic

Pastel Desert Sand TC...

Some of you will remember this car.

Also this car...

And the blaspheme that occurred when I combined the two.

Well it's been about 10+ years since I did the build.  I have had a rough few years lately and the car sat with a leaky windshield.  I am finally able to do something about this and attempt to get road worthy.  The car does run but I've gutted it to get to the rust.  Here is recent pictures. 

Here is a pic of some Global West SFC's.  They took 3 months to make because of the way the world is changing.

More Rust

Motor runs.  It's the 84 non roller block with the roller setup that came out of the Yellow Kitty.

I've already removed a lot of the sound damping insulation.  I'm going to get these SFC's installed soon and then the rust repair will begin.  Strut towers are good, and the back of the car is in good shape.  Just the floor pans are the big issue.

I do want to paint it the original pastel desert sand.  I have a decent budget to work with and the labor is free because it is going to be a project for my son and I. 

9.8 to 1 forged pistons
Edelbrock Aluminum heads Summit #6037
Edelbrock Upper n Lower intake #3821
Edelbrock 65mm TBI/EGR #3824/#3827
Edelbrock camshaft #3722
Edelbrock timing chain set

Interactive system n technologies Mass Air flow system w/24# injectors
Summit racing 155 liter/hr fuel pump
True duals with shorty headers
High performance starter with heat shield
3g alternator
The 5 speed in the car is WC out of a mustang
3.08 7.5 mustang rear with slapper bars
I am sure there is more but all I can remember for now.

-A9L computer
-stock but polished EFI distributor with an msd cap/rotor and a petronics flame thrower module and new steel gear
-professional products EGR spacer with block plate
84 TurboCoupe with 302 .010 over - 9.8 : 1 Forged Pistons - Edlebrock Goodies:  Aluminum Heads #6037, Intake #3821, 65mm TBI/EGR #3824/3827, Camshaft #3722 -  Interactive System & Technologies Mass Air with 24# Injectors - A9L - 3g Alternator - BBK shorties, Cat Converter H-pipe, Magniflow lers - World Class T5 1352-169 (1986, V8, WC, 3.15 3.35 1.93 1.29 1.00 0.68) OEM Clutch Cable - 7.5 Trac Lock with 3.08 and slapper bars from 82 Mustang.

Re: Pastel Desert Sand TC...

Reply #1
Did not know this car was still around. I will be glad to see it brought back
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

Reply #2
 John look who is still around!

I have a pile of parts and no garage and no updates after moving a couple years ago.
One 88

Reply #3
I should've kept that car...

Welcome back!
Glad you're thinking of repainting it the original color. It's such a great color and the reason I bought it originally.

That rust though... Oof!
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #4
Got some more work done on the disassembly.  Got the rear end up in the air under load and the whole car is level with the pad it's on. 

Removed the fuel tank and I'm almost done removing the fuel lines.  After that will be the ebrake cables.  I'm not sure how I'm going to do that since I really dislike having an extra pedal by my feet.  I'm looking into the electric ebrake setup.  There will be a fuel cell to replace the original tank.  Going to upgrade the fuel lines and pump.

84 TurboCoupe with 302 .010 over - 9.8 : 1 Forged Pistons - Edlebrock Goodies:  Aluminum Heads #6037, Intake #3821, 65mm TBI/EGR #3824/3827, Camshaft #3722 -  Interactive System & Technologies Mass Air with 24# Injectors - A9L - 3g Alternator - BBK shorties, Cat Converter H-pipe, Magniflow lers - World Class T5 1352-169 (1986, V8, WC, 3.15 3.35 1.93 1.29 1.00 0.68) OEM Clutch Cable - 7.5 Trac Lock with 3.08 and slapper bars from 82 Mustang.

Reply #5
You can buy a brand new tank on rock auto for under $100 I think I paid 78 for a brand new tank for my 88. That is unless you really want a fuel cell.

I remember when you got the car, man it's been a long time. Im glad to see its getting some new life again.

Reply #6
I am choosing a fuel cell because the car is a turbo coupe and I plopped the 5.0 in it.  I had to modify the in tank pump to allow for a better flowing fuel pump.  This is the modified pump.

I could never get the sending unit to read right so I want to simplify everything with new tank, lines, pump, and sending unit.

I managed to remove all the fuel lines today; brake lines will be removed too on another day.  Once that's done it'll be the ebrake that needs to be removed to allow for cleaning the rust off the subframe for the connectors to be welded in. 

Reply #7
This is how she sits today.  I'm getting there.  Some recent work...  fuel system upgrade from 84 18 gallon tank to an 86 20 gallon tank.  main reason was the sending unit issue I was having with the 84 tank.  Made a 255lph bbk pump work with a stock hanger.  Added the SFC that were earlier shown in this thread.  I still have to weld in the floor and halo roll cage and install racing seats.  I will likely go with carpet to cover up my py welds.  Battery relocation is mounted but i have to adjust the car wiring to route the fuse blocks to the new battery cable.  Lots of work still to go but i foresee a joy ride in my future... :P

YouTube video of it running.