Skip to main content
Topic: '86 Tbird 5.0 Build - A Long Process (Read 1065 times) previous topic - next topic

'86 Tbird 5.0 Build - A Long Process

I FINALLY am able to drive my car! It's still a build in progress, but my foundation is there. Just got it back from the shop with a full catless dual exhaust with Jones lers that sound epic.

What I have done so far engine-wise:
-Trick Flow 170 Heads
-GT40 Intake
-65mm Throttle Body and EGR
-1.7 Ford Racing Rockers
-Manley 6.700 Pushrods
-Cold Air Intake
-Screamin' Demon Coil
-Accel 8mm Plug Wires
-130 amp alternator
-BBK underdrive pulleys

The car sounds tight, and I'm very happy with the build as it's my first build I have tackled on my own. I've noticed so far that my higher RPMs seem to have quite a bit more power, but it seems to bog down/lose power or something once in awhile at lower RPMs. I would assume this is lack of fuel as I didn't do any fuel mods to the car and now it has a lot more air of course. I have bought but not yet installed Ford Racing 24lb injectors and an adjustable regulator and I have yet to get a fuel pump, and I will be doing this next year.
1986 Thunderbird original 5.0, butterfly window car. Two-tone Medium Grey and Silver Metallic Clearcoat paint with red pin-striping. A couple mods so far...with lots to come.

Re: '86 Tbird 5.0 Build - A Long Process

Reply #1
Just to put some input on this, I did the mod to have the speedo go to 199 mph, and I think it worked. My speedo used to stop at 80, and I got her up to 85 on the freeway with no issues.
1986 Thunderbird original 5.0, butterfly window car. Two-tone Medium Grey and Silver Metallic Clearcoat paint with red pin-striping. A couple mods so far...with lots to come.

Reply #2
Speedo should go to 85.  If you see 86 then you know it worked.
Mike

Reply #3
Ah ok my bad, I thought it was 80 when I did it last year, I couldn't remember, sorry.