Skip to main content
Topic: Reuse steeringwheel bolt? (Read 1296 times) previous topic - next topic

Reuse steeringwheel bolt?

Going to replace the cruise control switches on my 2001 GM steering wheel.
The shop manual says to remove and  discard the steering wheel bolt.
How important is this?

Re: Reuse steeringwheel bolt?

Reply #1
I have never replaced a steering wheel bolt or lock-nut... like ever.   :dunno:

If it has some thread locker on it, reapply fresh.

(Unless it's some weird TTY bolt, or the like, which would be odd for the application)
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #2
Thanks.
I found some pics and it looks like they have some locker pre-applied to them.
I guess that stuff is only single use.
I Checked the 84 shop manual and they say the same abount the steering wheel nut.Replace it.

Reply #3
If you decide to not get a new bolt, I would suggest cleaning the threaded shaft and nut threads with acetone or rubbing alcohol and let dry completely.  Then I would use Loctite 262 thread locker sparingly (on male thread only).  You may need to use a heat gun to remove.

Edit:  the prep of the threads (cleaning) is the most important part otherwise the Loctite does not work.
1988 Thunderbird TC, 5spd
Stinger 3" single exhaust, Cone Filter, Adjustable Cam Pulley, Schneider roller cam, Walbro 255 lph, AEM Wideband O2
'93 Mustang Cobra replica wheels on 235/50R17

'21 F150 Powerboost
'17 Husqvarna TX300

Reply #4
I have reused mine a few times. Zero issues.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #5
I'm with the Vman, always re-used the bolts...no issues. Acetone and a dot of loctite (per the application), as mentioned prior. Good to go. When I put my Sport together a few years ago and then parted it out, I had to use an impact to get the bolt loose. So I'd say it's a non issue ;)
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #6
Yeah, I cleaned up the old bolt and put loctite on it.
But the '01 Merc GM uses a Torx bolt.I wasn't happy to see that.
I broke a few Torx sockets(Bits?) on the brake calipers on the '84 TBird.