Skip to main content
Topic: Radiator Hoses/Cooling (Read 910 times) previous topic - next topic

Radiator Hoses/Cooling

This seems like kind of a dumb question, but I can't seem to find the answer and thought I'd double check. Should a radiator hose kit meant for a 1986-1993 5.0 fit on a 1986 Thunderbird 5.0 SO? Also what heavy duty thermostat would you guys recommend for replacing my stock unit? Mine has worked flawlessly and I've never had any cooling issues, but I'm in the process of tearing my engine down and doing some mods so I thought I might as well buy a new heavy duty one.

Thanks!
1986 Thunderbird original 5.0, butterfly window car. Two-tone Medium Grey and Silver Metallic Clearcoat paint with red pin-striping. A couple mods so far...with lots to come.

Re: Radiator Hoses/Cooling

Reply #1
I cant think of any reason the hose kit wouldn't be the same.  Thermostat, not sure.  Cant go wrong with Motorcraft.
Mike

Reply #2
Yeah I was thinking motorcraft as well since the mishimoto ones are a little more than i wanted to spend. Anyone else got recommendations on the hose kit and thermostat?
1986 Thunderbird original 5.0, butterfly window car. Two-tone Medium Grey and Silver Metallic Clearcoat paint with red pin-striping. A couple mods so far...with lots to come.

Reply #3
The hose kit for an 86-93 5.0 Mustang fits an 86-88 5.0 Thunderbird perfectly, as long as you have manual heat and A/C . The Electronic Climate Control has a slightly different heater hose as it has a sensor for the system in one of the hoses leading to the heater core. The rest of the hoses are identical.

For thermostats I've always run Motorcraft or Stant without issue. 180°-190° is fine.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #4
All that sensor does is keep the heater from turning on before the car is warm. If you clip it then you can use the regular mustang style hoses and then the heater still functions perfectly normal, except the heater runs in winter when you turn on the defroster while you se the windows. I consider that alone a worthy upgrade.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com