Skip to main content
Topic: Rear window glass leaking? (Read 2484 times) previous topic - next topic

Rear window glass leaking?

I have a water leak into the trunk when it rains (1988 Sport). I have tried to reseal everything. Has any one had their rear window leak? If so what's the best way to fix it? Is there any other spots that are pr0ne to leaking?

Thanks
Tom

Re: Rear window glass leaking?

Reply #1
Check the seam seal below the window where the quarter panel metal meets the metal under the window and trunk. It can go bad a leak at that point. Not uncommon.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #2
Thanks for the reply, I have replaced all of the seal sealer I can get to, I guess I'll have to try a get under the window moulding.

Thanks again
Tom

Reply #3
Can you see exactly where it's  coming into the trunk?

-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #4
Take all the panels off inside the trunk. Get inside with a strong flashlight. Have someone (you trust  :grinno: ) shut the decklid and the run water over the rear of the car. Find leak.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #5
Sorry to take so long to reply. The water is dripping right inside of the upper left hand side under the hinge. It appears to be leaking down the seam. I have seam sealed all of the seams up to the window moulding. Before it rained two days ago I put painters tape around the rear window seal and didn't see any leaking. I am going to wait for another rain before I'm sure. Is the 1988 rear window the same aside from the moulding? I would really like to take the window out and reseal but, I can't find any glass companies that will do so. Thanks for all the reply's.

Tom

Reply #6
There's a channel where the window sits that can hold water.  If there's a pinhole anywhere it could leak in.  The window itself most likely is not leaking.....

Are the insides of the glass getting condensation following rain storms?  If not then don't worry about the glass.  Pill the seal off and look for anything out of the ordinary in the channel it rests in.
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #7
I don't have any condensation inside the car. Can you see the underside of the channel with the seat out and package tray removed?

Thanks
Tom

Reply #8
If you pull the rear window molding you'll see where I'm talking about.   Chances are it's getting in right at the lower left corner...

Reply #9
Can you pull the moulding off of a 1988?

Thank you again
Tom

Reply #10
I've never tried, but I would think so with how it's designed and the fact that it has a separate part number.

Reply #12
The rear window is different between the 87-early 88 window with the metal molding and the late 88 with the rubber molding.

Reply #13
The glass itself is the same from what I understand.

Reply #14
I thought they were different for some reason. Perhaps it's just the area on the body where the molding mounts.