Skip to main content
Topic: Mass Air Wiring.... Now with pics, and info. (Read 8501 times) previous topic - next topic

Mass Air Wiring.... Now with pics, and info.

Does this look familiar to everyone that has done it? I figured I would copy and post this here for future reference.

is the thermactor the smog pump?... If it is, and if it's not connected to anything in the car, do I still need to move the wires?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #1
Yessir, that's it. I changed them when I did it.
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #2
Quote from: cougarman;368644
Yessir, that's it. I changed them when I did it.

is the wire for the fuel pump under the drivers seat?... before I take it out and find it's not there... lol
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Reply #3
It runs down the passenger side, under the scuff plate.
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #4
cool, glad I asked before I started hunting...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #5
I did not do the speed sensor or fuel pump wire. No issues.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #6
After seeing the instructions, a glimmer of the process from years ago came back to me.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #7
According to the instructions, I did the top 4 wires, and moved the two at the bottom.

Reply #8
took a couple pics while I was wiring....
it might help someone in the future

first  you must take the H block out of the connecting harness, otherwise you won't be able to add or remove the connector pins.

I also found it easier to work by marking the pin #s on the connector....after flipping it around a couple times, you will always know where the #1 pin is.

You can see #1 and #20 marked on the top of the connector.

the rest is simple, step by step instructions above...

I found the fuel pump wiring right next to the harness for splicing.... The pink with the black stripe.

here you can see the power and ground splices, covered with tape....use a good quality tape. not the cheap plastic ..

this is not a great quality pic, but you want to remove about an inch of wire casing without cutting the wire for your splice.... then solder the new your adding to this section...... and tape it so it's protected.

I found the VSS ground and hot wires on the drivers side. it's behind the dash and just behind the ashtray or info panel on the bottom of the dash console area. these wires go through the floor and connect to the speed sensor.. the Orange/ Yellow wire, and the Dark green/ white wires.... splice the 2 wires to the harness.

pretty simple and straight forward install..... put the H block back in the harness after your done adding and moving the wires, and your done.

Also, to remove a pin from the harness, you must use a very small flat head screwdriver or awl, to push behind the plastic retainer inside the harness... You will see it if you look into the front side. there's a small slot next to all of the pins to do this. I will try to get a pic of that later.

good luck, and I hope this helps someone
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #9
This would have helped me greatly, I did mine like Vinnie, but would have rather done it all, had I known where everything was. This will be very helpful for the next guy, thanks.

FYI, parts stores carry pin out terminals(HELP! section) that they will tell you will work in the eec, but they were too large. I just cut out a couple eec plugs in the yard.
87 Thunderbird LX
65mm tb, exploder intake, iron gt40 heads, 1.6 rr, a9l mass air swap, 9.5" Billet Dirty Dog TC, Built AOD, 4.10's, 31 spline TLoc, Superior Axles, full sn95 five lug swap.

Reply #10
I did everything but run the fuel pump monitor wire. It doesn't really do anything but throw a code 95 when I do a KOEO test.

One advantage of having an 88 is that the VSS wires are already in the EEC connector. I think in 88 Ford added a speed limiter to the 5.0 cars.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #11
Quote from: thunderjet302;370014
I think in 88 Ford added a speed limiter to the 5.0 cars.

Please tell me your shiznitting me!
Mike

Reply #12
has anyone used the mass air wiring from a TC harness?  seems to be straight forward but the wire colors are different.

Reply #13
Quote from: thunderjet302;370014
I think in 88 Ford added a speed limiter to the 5.0 cars.

My 88 T-bird LX is speed limited to 85 mph. Pretty  pitiful if you ask me.

Reply #14
Quote from: StrokerBird;376516
My 88 T-bird LX is speed limited to 85 mph. Pretty  pitiful if you ask me.

That's just how high the spedometer reads, not the top speed of the car ;).
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.