Skip to main content
Topic: Seat upgrade ... attempt #2 ... (Read 19972 times) previous topic - next topic

Seat upgrade ... attempt #2 ...

Reply #90
After tpuppies away any excess plastic, you just have to line up the fabric tabs on the outer edges on the inside of the headrest (to cover the foam so that you don't see any of it when the cover is fully installed, there is one on each side).  When those are all lined up, you just have to curl the plastic snaps around and seat the one inside of the other ... and ... presto! ... headrests done!

Reply #91
Quote from: 85CougarCobra;463344
Thanks!  I bought fabric from the same company and had a local upholstery shop recover the Turbo Coupe rear seat.  I'll get some pics of it up soon.  I'm keeping my stock rear seat and just storing it.

I'd really like to see pictures of that. I think it's going to look awesome when it's done.

BTW this is a great set of instructions for someone who wants to tackle this themselves.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #92
Quote from: thunderjet302;463357
BTW this is a great set of instructions for someone who wants to tackle this themselves.

Thanks.  Figured this might help someone out somewhere along the way.  Doubt too many people are overly interested in modifying their seats, but nice to know there are some options out there.

Reply #93
Installing the seat back foam on the frame is pretty straight forward as well.  Just lower the foam over the top of the seat back frame.  The foam is universal (left/right) and there are openings in the top for the headrest and seat belt shoulder bracket attaching point.

Reply #94
After you get the foam dropped in place from the top, you'll come to the bottom part of the seat back and wrap the foam under and around, installing the plastic clip onto the frame.

Reply #95
Once the foam is placed/installed on the seat back frame, the first thing you will want to pay attention to are the metal loops in the upper corners on each side.  Similar to the seat base, the "L" rods will need to installed so that they slide into these loops.

Reply #96
The next order of business is to prep the seat back upholstery.  Turn the cover inside out and reinstall the top retaining rod, this is where you will make your first attachments of the upholstery to the foam.  You will also need to move down to the center part of the seat cover and cut either side of the fabric loop channel for the center rod.  This material is sewn in and then stitched through up the sides, essentially closing them up.  You'll need to make a cut on either side to re-open them.

Reply #97
With top rod in place, place the cover on top of the seat back frame and just start rolling it down a little.  This will get the rod loosely lined up with where it attaches to the foam.  You'll have to apply some pressure to push the rod down into the channel running left to right across the top of the foam, then use three hog rings (one in the center and one on each side) and attach the rod to the foam.  Once attached, continue rolling the upholstery down to the next rod location.

Reply #98
Next up, install the middle upholstery pull rod.  With the sides of the loop cut in a previous step, you just slide the rod in.  This rod will not attach with any hog rings, just tuck it down in the slot in the foam and continue to roll the upholstery down.

Reply #99
Once you get the upholstery rolled all the way down, you'll need to work and position the side bolster foam into the "correct" spots.  You'll just kind of keep tugging the upholstery while simultaneously working the foam around and properly filling and smoothing out the cover.  Once you get that done, it's time to reinstall the side "L" rods.  These will slide up through the fabric loops on each side.

Reply #100
While sliding the "L" rod up through each fabric loop, you'll need to guide it a little from the outside.  You'll be able to feel it passing through the inside fabric loop, but you need to make sure that you also keep it located in the channel that is cut into the foam.  When you get to the center rod, you'll want the "L" rod to pass over the top of this.  The pressure applied by the "L" rod once it is fully installed is basically what holds the center rod in place (thus why you do not have to hog ring it anywhere).  Once you pass over the center rod, you'll want to make sure you are gently pushing the "L" rod along and will want to angle it down so that the end rests inside of the metal loop at the top of the channel.  I wish I had some better pictures of this step, but everything happens inside/under the upholstery and it's really by feel.  You'll know that you have the top of the "L" rod under the loop because you will have to apply some pressure to it in order to draw it against the foam at the bottom part of the seat foam where you will reattach it using hog rings.  I put four on each side, two on each section of the "L".

Reply #101
Having reached this point, the upholstery is basically reinstalled in terms of all of the attaching rods and hog rings.  From here, you'll just want to work the fabric around a little, pull it down nice and snug, and then close up the bottom.  This upholstery kit has plastic clips at the bottom whereas the factory upholstery was zippered.  Once you have this clip closed up, the upholstery piece is done.  All that is left is to reinstall the headrest, seat back latch and surround, and then attach the seat back to the seat base.

Reply #102
Installing the headrest caused a bit of a pause ... it's not a particularly "good" feeling slicing into your nice new upholstery ... ha!  I wish these came precut, but they do not.  You'll be able to feel around and get a sense for where the opening in the foam is located .  It's a little further towards the back of the seat versus being centered front to back.  Make a small cut with a razor blade, make sure you're properly located, and then continue to remove material until you have the hole opened up enough to accept the black plastic guide.  I did a few test fits and trims and then slid the guide all the way in.  It will just pop back into its seated place.

Reply #103
With the black plastic guide back in place, simply slide the headrest back in.  It will go in so far and then lock into place so that you can't pull it back out without releasing the catch latch on the seat back frame.

Reply #104
Next up is the seat back latch and plastic surround on the back of the seat.  You'll be able to see and feel where the metal is under the upholstery.  Take a razor blade and cut a small opening allowing the metal to poke through the upholstery.  From there, trim away some additional material in alignment with the opening in the seat back that allows for the up/down motion of the lever.  Make sure you don't remove too much material.  The plastic surround will tidy everything up once it's installed.