Skip to main content
Topic: Seat upgrade ... attempt #2 ... (Read 20459 times) previous topic - next topic

Seat upgrade ... attempt #2 ...

Reply #60
Quote from: 85CougarCobra;462576
Yes ... I have ... but it might depend on your particular set up.  The old XR-7 sport seats that I had were a plain charcoal cloth and then the inserts on them were a lighter gray cloth (not charcoal) with the waffle pattern.

I reached out to SMS Auto Fabrics: https://www.smsautofabrics.com/

I asked them to provide me samples of all of the OE charcoal material that they had for an '85 Cougar and this is what they sent me.  I ended up purchasing some of the charcoal waffle pattern material to recover the side fabric inserts in the back seat.

item B you show in the pic,,, if that was in tan, that would make a great 20th anny substitute!

nice work !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #61
Once the center pull rod is in place, you'll move to the front of the seat to install the front pull rod.  Basically the exact same principle ... you'll have to cut an opening in either end of the looped fabric that is stitched into this area and then slide the rod that was removed from the factory upholstery into place.  You'll hog ring this rod in three places as well and it will actually connect to a metal rod that runs left to right on the top of the seat base frame.

Reply #62
I also sent off a request for 20th "like" fabric (s)

Reply #63
Quote from: jcassity;463232
item B you show in the pic,,, if that was in tan, that would make a great 20th anny substitute!

nice work !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, I feel for you.  Finding a single year offering fabric (let alone 20+ years old) is probably a challenge.

Reply #64
With the center and front rods attached, it's on to the left and right sides.  The first thing to pay attention to is the metal loops at the back of each side of the foam.  When you install the side rods, they slide into their fabric loop channels at the front on the seat, pass all the way through them, exit at the back of the seat, and then pass under these metal loops.  I took these pictures before starting to install the upholstery.

Reply #65
Slide the side rods from front to back through the fabric loop channels on either side.  Once they start to exit the back of the fabric channel, you want to angle them through the metal loops in the back of the seat foam.

Reply #66
With the side rods run through their fabric loop channels and under the metal loops in the back of the foam, it's time to come back to the front of the seat and attach the "L" shaped part of the rod to the seat base frame.  The slide rods will be angled up at the front due to the downward angle you need to to get them into the metal loop in the back.  Just use some force to push them down and reuse the original metal clamps (or new hog rings) to reattach both sides.  This process will pull the fabric tight into the side channels along the bolsters that run from front to back.  At this point, the upholstery is essentially attached.  The next step is to start rolling the upholstery over the front part of the bolsters.  You just have to depress the foam and gently work everything into place so that it is nice and snug.  Now things are starting to take shape!

Reply #67
After you get the upholstery rolled over the bolsters and around all the sides, flip the seat bottom over and install the plastic clips starting at the back.  Once the back clip is installed, move to each of the sides.

Reply #68
After the foam and upholstery is installed it's time to reinstall the tubing and electrical connections for the lumbar.  The tubing will need to come up and pass through the foam and upholstery.  I marked a spot between the the two rear inboard springs.  From there I ran a screwdriver through the foam and poked it through the upholstery.  I rolled the rear of the upholstery back up during this process for a picture of the first seat to try to demonstrate the process, but didn't on the second seat.

Reply #69
After you get the hole punctured for the tubing, make sure you get everything reattached and snugged back up.  Now, it's time to move to the side bracket where the lumbar switch goes.  You'll be able to feel (and see) where the switch needs to go.  Take a razor blade and cut an opening in the middle of the void in the center of the bracket.  After this is cut, take a pair of scissors and open up the hole to match the opening in the bracket underneath the upholstery.  With this opened up enough, you can run the switch and tubing down through the opening and route it along the inside of the seat frame.

Reply #70
With the switch now in place, you can slide the plastic cover plate back over it (it will snap into the switch), then it can be screwed back into the seat frame and you can reinstall the cover plate.

Reply #71
On to the side bolster adjustment .  You'll be able to feel where the outboard shaft is located.  Take a razor blade and cut a small "X" over the top of it.  Once your "X" is big enough, you'll be able to push the upholstery down over it  ... just be careful not to cut any bigger than you have to.  You can then take a small flat blade screwdriver and tuck the upholstery inside of itself.  Slide the adjustment  back over the shaft and tighten the hex set screw.

Reply #72
With the seat base almost buttoned up, it's time to reinstall the adjustable knee bolster.  Simply slide the bolster assembly into the pre-slit spots on the upholstery and then reinstall the roll pins

Reply #73
View of the assembled seat base, just have to reinstall the wiring harness and run the tubing up through the upholstery.

Reply #74
Wiring harness back in place and lumbar tubing exiting through the rear of the seat.  DONE with the seat base ... on to the seat back.