Skip to main content
Topic: Clutch cable adjustment.... (Read 1211 times) previous topic - next topic

Clutch cable adjustment....

For my car,which has an adjustable cable (no firewall adjuster...won't fit behind my booster), what's the best way to adjust it right? Trial and error,or is there a better way?Right now it feels pretty good,but I'm looking for more detailed info.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #1
switch to the mustang style boaster and it will make things a lot easier for you so you can use a firewall adjuster. That way you don't have to keep lifting up the car, take off your dust cover, and playing with the stupid adjustment nuts on the cable after each test drive.

The way I always adjusted it was get the clutch to engage with the pedal as low as possible and make sure it doesn't engage when you got the clutch all the way in.. ( I would just push the clutch in and rev it up a couple times 4-5k rpm and make sure the car doesn't move at all)

I don't think there's a right way or wrong way, just put the peddle height where it feels comfortable to you and you should be fine.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #2
Kinda off topic but which brakes do you have on your car?  This deals directly with the booster subject.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #3
Very little pre play works for me, Enough preplay that the through out bearing doesn't have pressure on it when it's out. I have a Firewall adjuster, not sure how Bob can adjust his with his to grab where he want's.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #4
Thanks guys.I'll play with the adjustment maybe tomorrow.After last week,I'm just going to take it easy today.I'll let you know how it turns out.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #5
Quote from: Kitz Kat;319836
Very little pre play works for me, Enough preplay that the through out bearing doesn't have pressure on it when it's out. I have a Firewall adjuster, not sure how Bob can adjust his with his to grab where he want's.

There was a slight change in height. I'm only talking about an inch difference from taking the slack out of the cable and the sloppiness of the fork as well.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #6
I have the firewall adjuster with the stock cougar booster. It does fit and work. Benn in there for a couple years. I forget exactly how I got it in there but I did not loosen the booster. It is a little difficult to adjust. My adjustable cable (broken at the pedal) did not last. I put the factory cable back in and have not had any cable issues. I made a pedal stop to keep the pedal at the lower height like the brake pedal.
Our web page

02 Explorer XLT 4.0L
04 F150 FX4 Supercrew 5.4L
02 Saturn SL1 1.9L
09 Vstar 950 Tourer

Reply #7
Perhaps I'll give it another try.I had a firewall adjuster,but half heartedly tried to fit it on.I was overwhelmed with everything else going on with the sport at the time.Thanks.