Skip to main content
Topic: Mercury Grand Marquis AOD into Mark VII? (Read 1230 times) previous topic - next topic

Mercury Grand Marquis AOD into Mark VII?

The AOD on my 88 Mark VII has taken an unfortunate turn for the worse, and therefore it is time for a new one. I have obtained an AOD out of a Mid-80's Mercury Grand Marquis. From what I have read on a Lincoln Mark VII specific Message board, in order to swap that transmission into my car, I need to change the shifter linkage (Column to Floor Shift) and that since the tranny out of the Marquis is 1" shorter than the stock AOD in the Mark VII, I need to purchase what is known as a "Driveshaft Spacer". Is this information correct? And if so, does anyone know where to obtain such a spacer? I can't seem to track one down for my application anywhere online.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks
<---One must always remember to Remain cool, calm and collected when dealing with your fellow man, especially on the Internet....
-DMC24guy
[/SIZE]

Reply #1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Racing-M-8510-C351-Crankshaft-Pulley-Spacer-Alum_W0QQitemZ330427183994QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item4ceefeb37a
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #2
Ahem, that's a crankshaft spaced not driveshaft...

Reply #3
An AOD from a 5.0 Stang would be stronger than the one you have now. They have extra clutches in them...

Would that be an option for ya?
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #4
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;319758
Ahem, that's a crankshaft spaced not driveshaft...

Thanks Tom.I saw that right before I went to bed.Hazy eyes and sleepy.LOL.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #5
THIS is what I meant to post......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JEGS-60620-Mustang-Driveshaft-Spacer-JEGS_W0QQitemZ350344476303QQcmdZViewItemQQptZOther_Vehicle_Parts?hash=item519228768f

There are others on there as well.Type in "drive shaftspacer"

Reply #6
Quote from: DMC24guy;319739
The AOD on my 88 Mark VII has taken an unfortunate turn for the worse, and therefore it is time for a new one. I have obtained an AOD out of a Mid-80's Mercury Grand Marquis. From what I have read on a Lincoln Mark VII specific Message board, in order to swap that transmission into my car, I need to change the shifter linkage (Column to Floor Shift) and that since the tranny out of the Marquis is 1" shorter than the stock AOD in the Mark VII, I need to purchase what is known as a "Driveshaft Spacer". Is this information correct? And if so, does anyone know where to obtain such a spacer? I can't seem to track one down for my application anywhere online.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Just switch the linkage tube from you're old trans to the new one. It isnt that hard and yoy can even do it with it in the car.

This is the spacer that will work http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SDA-555-7707/ .
FORD The Pacemaker of a CHEVY