Skip to main content
Topic: Adapters for 83-86 Bird/Cougar Manual Seat Brackets to Corbeau TRS Seat (Read 5266 times) previous topic - next topic

Adapters for 83-86 Bird/Cougar Manual Seat Brackets to Corbeau TRS Seat

I am not 100% sure but I believe the 83-86 seat brackets are the same and the 87-88 are different.  If that is incorrect please post the correct info as that will help others.

I made some aluminum flat bar seat bracket adapeters for the new Corbeau TRS seats that are going in my 83 Bird.  I originally had 85 Mustang GT seats in the car and there were no modifications except tapping the 8mm X 1.25 pitch threads in the hole that lined up on the bolt holes on the rear of the brackets.  There is one hole on the front of the seats and four on the rear.  The Mustang brackets use the first from the front of the four rear holes and the brackets out of my Bird used the third from the front out of the four rear holes.  You can see what I am talking about in this picture:

Ford did not tap the threads on any of the rear holes except for the ones that were used by the brackets in the Mustang.  I used an 8mm X 1.25 pitch tapered tap and very carefully and with some cutting fluid tapped the holes I needed to get them in my car.

Since I had sold the seats in my car to a guy in Kentucky I could not measure the seats to get the differneces in the bolting patterns between the two different seats.  I figured since the Mustang seat bolted into the car then I could just measure those holes.  It was a good thing I mocked up the Bird brackets on the GT seat I managed to pull from the side of a buddy's shop as I found out about the differnces in how they bolt up.  I know, long story so lets get to the point.

I sketched up the differences between the the two seats' mounting points, scanned it, and then converted it to a .jpeg so it would post here but its kinda small since its hosted on photobucket.  If you want a copy just IM me and I will email it to you.

So a person can see how the two bolting patterns line up on top of each other.  This is how it translates to a 1-1/2" X 1/4" X 15" piece of 6160 aluminum flat bar which can be had at any metal supplier.  I will note that Lowes, Home Depot, and Sutherlands no longer stock this size in my area so maybe that will save you some driving

Once I had the holes laid out on the aluminum flat bar I center punched them and then drilled them with a 1/8" bit for a pilot hole.  I then used a 3/8" bit to finish drilling the hole out.  The bolts are roughly 5/16 (8mm X 1.25 pitch) so this would allow some room for error.  Here are some shots of the adapters mounted on the seat brackets:

The brackest on my car had a rivit (for lack of better words) which was not flush with the mounting area between the flat bar and the bracket.  I took a ginder and removed just enough material so the flat bar would lie down flat.  You can see this here (its the shiny round spot at the back of the bracket):

The adapters wanted to teader at this location so I used one of the lock washers and placed it between the flat bar and the seat bracket which worked really well.  The location was opposite of the shiney round spot in the picture above.  I did this for both seats.

Here are the brackets mounted up on the seat:

As you can see there is minimal gain in height and I can tell you that the Corbeau seats are not higher than the stock seats.  I am 6'-1" so this was of some concern but I sit fine in the Coupe and I know that the Bird has much better cabin room.

As for bolting, each of the Corbeau seats come with (4) 8mm X 1.25 pitch X 25mm long allen head cap screws.  I also bought (8) 8mm X 1.25 pitch X 20mm long allen head cap screws, (10) 8mm lock washers, and (8) 8mm X 1.25 nylon locking nuts.  I used two of the longer cap screws that came with the seats and two of the locking nuts on the inner seat brackets to the adapters as they are a bit thicker than the outer brackets.  I used two of the shorter cap screws with two of the locking nuts on the outer bracket to the adapters.  The remaining two longer cap screws and two lock washers were used to mount the adapters to the front of the seat and the two remaining shorter cap screws and two lock washers were used to mount the adapters to the rear of the seat.

The car is still getting exhause work done but I will update this with pics when they are finally in the car.  I just wrapped them up in plastic bags and put them up in the loft in the shop.  Anyhow, hope this helps someone in the future.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #1
Thanks for the info.  I am saving up for some Corbeau LG-1's and noticed corbeau's catalog stops at 86.  I am going to use my power seat tracks though.

Reply #2
I think the same approach will work but your measurements may be a little different with the power seats and if the car is an 87-88.

Darren

Reply #3
Got the seats installed in the Bird this weekend and they look and feel great!  They bolted right in so that made my day and means that my measurements above were correct.  Here are some pictures of the Driver's side:

XXX

Darren

Reply #4
And here are some of the Passenger's side:

XXX

Darren

Reply #5
those seats are dead shagy!!!!
1986 T-bird
347 stroker motor
185 AFR Heads
TrickFlow cam 224/232-542/563
Victor Jr. intake CNC ported
Quickfuel Holley 800 cfm
Hooker 1-3/4 long tubes
Custom built AOD
B&M 3000 stall
8.8 w/4.30 gears
UPR K-member,A-Arms,and coil-overs
UPR upper/lower control arms
Strange shocks/struts
26x10x15 M/T slicks
11.48@119.27
(coming soon Tremec 3550)
The Finished Product
http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w92/03grinnie/T-bird/

Reply #6
does thar cage make NHRA happy? I
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]:ford:87 Turbo Coupe through the floor sub frame connectors, 5.8 swap Ford racing heads Harland sharp 1.6 rockers BBK shorty swap headers 2 1/2 BBk X pipe magnaflow ler's. Megasquirt 2 with 36lbs injectors on hurricane intake with 4150 throttle body.Tremec TKO 600 Quicktime blowsheild spec stage 3 clutch. 3.73 gears and still not done

Reply #7
Those are awesome!! They actually don't look that out of place in the tbird, which is really cool since almost EVERYTHING that wasn't factory looks out of place... Good Job!:D
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #8
The "cage" is technically only a roll bar and the car was not drag raced and most likely never will be so I don't think the NHRA will be teching the cage any day soon.  But to answer your question I don't think they would be all shiznits and giggles about it.

I am really pleased with the look but I am going to have to get used to the new body position compared to the stock '85 GT Halo seats that used to be in the car.  I may end up lowering the seats by cutting the floor pan but I need some seat time to make that decision.  That could be awhile as long as the conversion from a street/strip to build to more of a street/corner carver build is taking so much longer with the car five hours from me.

Darren

Reply #9
That is quite a commute to work on a hobby I sometimes have a hard time getting motivated to go in the backyard. I do like the look though fit and functional.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]:ford:87 Turbo Coupe through the floor sub frame connectors, 5.8 swap Ford racing heads Harland sharp 1.6 rockers BBK shorty swap headers 2 1/2 BBk X pipe magnaflow ler's. Megasquirt 2 with 36lbs injectors on hurricane intake with 4150 throttle body.Tremec TKO 600 Quicktime blowsheild spec stage 3 clutch. 3.73 gears and still not done

Reply #10
Its at my dad's shop with a lift and climate control.  My coupe takes up the garage here at my house even thought it is considered a two car garage.  I cannot get two Fox body cars in it without having to back one in and pull the other in so the drivers doors open to the walls to get enough room to get out.  Maybe a pair Focuses but that would be pushing it.

Thanks for the complements!  Now on the the exhaust...

Darren

Reply #11
nice seats!!
can you post pics of the whole car please
i think it look great need to see more

Reply #12
Maybe in another thread as I would like to keep this one on the subject rather than clutter it up.

Darren

Reply #13
ok no problem  !