Skip to main content
Topic: Removing headliner board (Read 1892 times) previous topic - next topic

Removing headliner board

I'm removing my headliner board in order to clean off the old foam and replace the headliner material.  I've removed the sun visors, sun visor retaining clips, the dome light and all the hardware but have a few questions before I proceed with either removing or loosening the interior moldings:

1. How are the moldings above the windshield and the rear glass held in place?  I've removed the two screws from each piece but it seems they are both held in place at the center by some sort of clip.

2. Do I need to remove the seat belts from the the B pillar to give the sail panels enough room to flex?

3. Any tips from anyone that's already done this so I don't damage any of the moldings?  I have a trim removal kit handy.  I did check the Assembly/Disassembly How-To section but didn't see anything about this.

Appreciate any advice or help you guys can offer!

Thanks again!

Removing headliner board

Reply #1
I've taken a few out and I don't remember any clip at the front center. If I recall correctly, it may just be stuck there a little with some type of adhesive. See if  you can just slide some type of putty knife up in there to get it loose. You may need to take the seat belt bolts loose, just to get the sail panels out of the way.

Removing headliner board

Reply #2
The front and rear pieces kind of pop into place.  I can't remember if there is some type of spring clip in the center or not, but if you give it a gentle tug (don't bend it), they should pop right out.  I had the screws on either side out of the back one recently and it just kind of hangs there from the center section.

Removing headliner board

Reply #3
Push in type clips:

Removing headliner board

Reply #4
take the rear view mirror off and lay seats all the way back
Brian R.
88 2.3t Ranger
83 TC  gt40p motor,Vortech,TFS1 cam,long tubes,MS PnP,T5,8.8,17x9 Cobra 17s

Removing headliner board

Reply #5
From your list:
1.  The two metal garnish pieces, one above the back window and the other above the windshield. See how the shop manual illustration has the arrows pointing to the side?  This means that you have to slide the piece a short distance sideways, parallel to the windshield for the push-in clip reach an opening in the channel on the backside of the garnishment. The push-in clip will usually NOT release or collapse if you just pull down on it. Which usually means the metal garnishment will just bend and pucker instead, since its made out of thin metal.

If you have the A-pillar trim and the rear upper 1/4 window trim panel loose or off, you should have room to slide the metal garnish pieces sideways the inch or so required for it to release.

2. Yes, take the shoulder belt anchor bolts out. Not worth cracking or breaking a sun-baked or brittle panel. Unless the car has been garaged most of its life, these panels arent as flexible as they were when new. Not as easily found and replaced either I'm betting.

Removing headliner board

Reply #6
I need to replace my 1987 headliner... I'm guessing  the material comes from a local upholstery shop or does someone offer a kit???.. Best adhesive (gets WAY hot in Arizona. Mike

Removing headliner board

Reply #7
Fabric stores usually sell headliner material. 3M spray adhesive usually works best.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Removing headliner board

Reply #8
If you can’t find material you like locally, try StockInteriors.com. You can pick from colors and they will send free samples.
87 Tbird LX w/Factory floor shifter:D   3G upgrade. Tinted Windows...85 Mustang GT steering wheel(non-cruise) 17'' Saleen SC style wheels,Front/Rear TC sway bars/poly bushings & Mustang GT steering rack...'05 Mustang V6 springs...93 Cobra MC & booster, MM adjustable C/C plates,  Work  In  Progress.......  ( On The Shelf---HO computer, 19lb injectors, HO cam, BBK headers, Explorer Intake, Cold Air Intake ,Phantom Gauges, Stinger stainless exhaust pipes )
 S O L D