Skip to main content
Topic: Re-mirror headlamp interior (Read 18645 times) previous topic - next topic

Re-mirror headlamp interior

Reply #15
Lincoln Continental headlights (not sure what exact years though) are the same as '87-8 Cougars.

I think it's around 89 or 90 for the Linc Conti's...
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #16
http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?33121-(New-Goodies)Need-Your-Opinion-on-Headlight-Color!(Lots-of-Pics)&highlight=

There you go, the ultimate final solution.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=237  Where to get them.  You're savvy enough to build your own relay harness, and I would recommend to. Theirs is probably ok, but I suspect them as being the only non top shelf component in the kit.  X3 made his own clear lenses, and I know yours are different, but you seem like the type of guy who is willing to put the labor in to grind down and polish out his existing lenses like I did.

Reply #17
thanks everyone,
if anyone tries the polyurethane method, make sure to heat them up after it dries, just watch the lense soak up the poly and clear things up.

gotta use that 3000 grit paper or 3000grit sponge under running water first though.

Reply #18
On this subject, what is the best way to get the glue out of the channel? Mine is so hard I couldn't dent it with a screwdriver.
88 Turbocoupe: Coast High Performance 331 kit 28oz balance, Comp XE264HR14 cam, 58cc 185 afr heads, 1.7 roller rockers, Mass-Flo EFI (was POS to setup and their techline is a joke at best)
Full 1 5/8 primary equal length headers, 2 1/2 exhaust, Full manual reverse VB c4 and baked off clear coat "BECAUSE RACECAR"

Reply #19
Quote from: jcassity;398988
here is a tip on clearing the lenses.
I sand the lense with 3000grit foam pad they sell at auto parts places.
I then use a foam brush and paint on min wax polyurethane.
it looks good when brushed on but  i learned something last night.
When the poly is almost dry, use a heat gun and get the whole lense really "warm" and watch the whole thing clear up even more.

I'm going to be doing this on my 93' Tempo headlights. I already have polished them once and installed those Sylvania Ultras (red package) but they started to haze back up again.

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Reply #20
Quote from: Soul;399069
On this subject, what is the best way to get the glue out of the channel? Mine is so hard I couldn't dent it with a screwdriver.

Heat it in the oven, it pulls off like a soft twizzler stick when it is warm.
...and there was light!

Reply #21
Quote from: 1BadBird;399071
I'm going to be doing this on my 93' Tempo headlights. I already have polished them once and installed those Sylvania Ultras (red package) but they started to haze back up again.

I should further define "warm",,,what me  and my son learned is that you hold the lense with a t-shirt or something and when you cant take the heat, lay it down....  thats how hot. 
He put too much poloy on, i laid  down a thin coat only.
Some of  your last few passes with a heat gun should be approx 3'' off the face of the lense covering every inch like you  are scanning the surface not missing an inch.
If you smell something that can only be described as "clear plastic" melting, and yet its not actually melting,,, then you  hit that sweet spot of perfect heat.  It will be like a chemical plastics smell. If you smell only Poly getting warm, your not close enough to the lense.

I think what i did was actually bond the poly into the grain of the lense somehow.

Litterally  under water, it only takes a min or two of vigorous sanding to be  done sanding.
Of course i chopped off those Ice Break sticky outty things ,  mason still has them.

Reply #22
Quote from: Soul;399069

buy a heat gun from lowes or  somewhere.
Heat perimeter first then pick a stratigic area to start prying up with a flat head screwdriver.
too easy

dont forget to inspect for cracks on the rear of your housing as well as where the bulb inserts.
Found a couple on my pass side and that i siliconed up... was the culpert for water intrusion.

first add water to housing then blow real hard in the lamp opening and you  will  easily hear / see your lense leak.

Reply #23
Im done, fully satisfied and want to comment on what i did.  I never in my life would have imagined these lights could glow so white and bright.  I dont even have the relay mod done to my lights on the 20th  either.

I deleted the mirrors i put in.  I added metal tape (very  shinney and almost like mirror) because it was what i bought myself.
you gotta look at the different ones, there is shinney then there is "more" mirror like. I added two 3'' long strips along the area where the bulb is and also to one side  that was worn away.

I will be going back in them soon  to re-do the tape because while up here in ohio, i found an HVAC  shop that has actual "mirror" finish metal tape.  This is a unique tape to HVAC guys when heat retention is critical on duct work.

Excluding the 30min or so time waiting for the poly to dry, breaking into and adding tape and re-assembly of each headlamp lense only took about an hour.
I spent  more time doing the mirror tape then lamp resto.  This has became  so easy  for  me  its like a walk in the  park.

If anyone wants a set redone, then send em my way.

Reply #24
On the headlight subject, only the back of the housing, the side the bulb inserts, is mirrored correct? Not the floor or the top of the housing?
Also the metal insert at the top, should it be polished?
88 Turbocoupe: Coast High Performance 331 kit 28oz balance, Comp XE264HR14 cam, 58cc 185 afr heads, 1.7 roller rockers, Mass-Flo EFI (was POS to setup and their techline is a joke at best)
Full 1 5/8 primary equal length headers, 2 1/2 exhaust, Full manual reverse VB c4 and baked off clear coat "BECAUSE RACECAR"

Reply #25
Quote from: Soul;399167
On the headlight subject, only the back of the housing, the side the bulb inserts, is mirrored correct? Not the floor or the top of the housing?
Also the metal insert at the top, should it be polished?

correct to part 1 above
not required to part2 above, its just a heat sync

Reply #26
this is the stuff you want for a replication of a mirror inside your headlamp lenses.
its a poly type metalized mirror tape.
The description is wrong, i talked to grainger about this product and the store i was in at youngstown did not even know they offered it.

Another application would be the 1/2'' roll which would nicely applie to the center chrome trim of the black molding.  just stick it right on top of your old faded stuff.

here is the link, i got two rolls of 2'' wide.
will be removing the other metal tape i put in there and trade in this thin poly mirror stuff.

wont be able to till i get some more silicone though.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/search.shtml?searchQuery=15d441&op=search&Ntt=15d441&N=0&GlobalSearch=true&sst=subset#productReviewTabs

enjoy,, its like 8bucks a roll for 15' long x 2'' wide

Reply #27
I wonder how much it would cost to get the inside of the headlights re-vacuum chrome plated? Is it even possible to get some one to do that?
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #28
Many chrome shops offer Plastic Chrome Plating. It's def not cheap though, that's for sure.

I recently had the plastic front grille on my '93 Lightning done, at Chromemasters in Nashville, TN. Was definitely worth the money.

Reply #29
Did you get a chance to pull the lights back apart and try this tape? Curious if it was better or worse light output. I just got mine back together and left the mirroring alone for now.